Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

City Now Struggling to Sell tickets & many not even bothered

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:23 am

Cardiff City Now Struggling to Sell tickets for games & many fans not even bothered

Its bad enough seeing thousands of fans not bothering to turn up at our home games this season even though they have already paid. Apparently at some home games up to 4,000 City fans are not bothering. :shock:
Weve already lost thousands due to the Rebrand,then relegation, now fans who have paid are not turning up in larger numbers than ever before. :shock: :shock:

Also our Away Support has been dwindling rapidly and now even Watford away tickets are struggling to sell.

For the first time in about 10 years, so far this season every away game other than Brum away has been pay on the day for our fans.

The Club needs to act and realise something needs to be done?

There is major concern as our media from the papers to the radio are talking about it and the facts are there,thousands upon thousands of empty seats every home game.

City even offered cheap seats for Ipswich and Forest home,but still no increase in attendances?

We have a major problem and it needs addressing by those who run our club.

Re: City Now Struggling to Sell tickets & many not even both

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:41 am

For me I will attend no matter what but I don't feel the excitement no more something has been lost

Spoken to alot of people and they say the same it's not the same feeling as it used to be , is it tan? Isit the rebrand? I don't know but I don't enjoy watching city any where near I did before

For alot of people if they felt like this you can understand why they don't bother

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am

I think thats just relegation for you to be honest Annis. That Premier League season was horrible as we just couldn't compete to any sort of decent standard and were just getting battered at the end. Many were disappointed in the thing they waited for decades for. I think the thrill of the chase was more thrilling than the actual prize - given the way we went about it, we battled for years gave everything up to get battered and finish bottom. So i think this attendance slash is more to do with the relegation than the rebrand.

After the rebrand we had two seasons of our highest attendances i can remember so it cant possibly be that. We should have all stopped long ago but we all wanted a taste of the big time, I've given up blaming Tan and hold myself as responsible as anyone as i didn't boycott when it was needed.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:57 am

To be fair I can see why some fans stay away or are starting to stay away. The football that is being served up is not that entertaining . And to be fair we all want to see entertaining football,ok yes we are winning at home,but its not something that would want to make some people get out sit in the cold and be severed up football that is for long periods of the game boring as hell.
I mean if you were watch a TV program that is boring you would turn over to another channel. We all want to see our team win and winning at home they are.

But we must also be Entertained ,I myself would go out to support The Bluebirds if It was raining Ice and blowing a storm.
But there again I appreciate everyone is not the same as me. For the last few years we have had some great times and some times that haven't been that great.

But when you have, or suppose to have the best squad in the Championship and we cant seem to gel game after game, and the squad looks like there unfit some people are bound to think, FK it ! If the team don't bother why should I.

I believe as soon as we start to play entertaining football and we start to show better form in our away game ,they will return. All I can say is God help some of our fans ,if they were supporting the Bluebird back in the bad old day.

Come on Guys Make that effort get out there to support our team, show them that we believe they can do it and they will. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:06 am

We're a mid-table Championship side. Our crowds reflect that. As for away, were quite a long way from everywhere. There are not many short trips, although Bristol City should be good next season.

Having said that, a farcical season in the PL, and relegation, have not helped. The 're-brand' has taken its toll, too. I wonder how many of the 'boycotters' will ever return? I know two blokes, from North Cardiff who went for years, home and away. Both say they will not go again, no matter what. Sometimes think that they were losing interest anyway, and are using the 're-brand' as an excuse.

Football has changed, and the fans have changed. People always drifted in and out of going down the City. Perhaps some of the old guard are ready to call it a day, but there will always be new fans.

Personally, I still enjoy going to the games, and supporting Cardiff City.

Nothing new under the sun!

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 am

To many plastic utd supporters. The die hards have always been no more than 15-17 thousand
The rest just wait in the wings till utd and liverpool go shit and we are on a good run

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:47 am

sloper_road_legend wrote:To many plastic utd supporters. The die hards have always been no more than 15-17 thousand
The rest just wait in the wings till utd and liverpool go shit and we are on a good run

Die hards are people that would be there come rain or shine. There is no way we would get 17,000 in league 2. I think we have about 5000-6000 die hards. The rest only came when Sams money started rolling in and a decent level of football was achieved and will soon be gone if relegated once or twice.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 am

TheRow wrote:I think thats just relegation for you to be honest Annis. That Premier League season was horrible as we just couldn't compete to any sort of decent standard and were just getting battered at the end. Many were disappointed in the thing they waited for decades for. I think the thrill of the chase was more thrilling than the actual prize - given the way we went about it, we battled for years gave everything up to get battered and finish bottom. So i think this attendance slash is more to do with the relegation than the rebrand.

After the rebrand we had two seasons of our highest attendances i can remember so it cant possibly be that. We should have all stopped long ago but we all wanted a taste of the big time, I've given up blaming Tan and hold myself as responsible as anyone as i didn't boycott when it was needed.

Echoing my feelings exactly. Had my worst season supporting city last year. Was not the season I and many others dreamed of. Even before malky was sacked.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City Now Struggling to Sell tickets for games & many fans not even bothered

Its bad enough seeing thousands of fans not bothering to turn up at our home games this season even though they have already paid. Apparently at some home games up to 4,000 City fans are not bothering. :shock:
Weve already lost thousands due to the Rebrand,then relegation, now fans who have paid are not turning up in larger numbers than ever before. :shock: :shock:

Also our Away Support has been dwindling rapidly and now even Watford away tickets are struggling to sell.

For the first time in about 10 years, so far this season every away game other than Brum away has been pay on the day for our fans.

There is major concern as our media from the papers to the radio are talking about it and the facts are there,thousands upon thousands of empty seats every home game.

City even offered cheap seats for Ipswich and Forest home,but still no increase in attendances?

Unless our club takes drastic action, I can only see it getting a lot worse, next season.

Quite simply, the first thing that must be done is to reverse the re brand, & return us back to Blue.

Secondly, a sensible price structure, with promotional deals for season ticket holders & multi game purchases put in place.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 pm

To be honest the match is the least enjoyable part of the match day experience. Having a drink and a meal in the Canton Cross with family and friends prior to the game is the best part of the day/evening out :(

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:50 pm

I attend all the home games but, due to the awful football being dished out at the moment, occasional fans are not going to turn up regularly unfortunately.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:05 pm

That's good news Annis. Some wanted good news from updates and you have given it. Perhaps it might just trigger Vinny tw*t to either sell up bloody quick or realise he has been a selfish Vinny tw*t and return Cardiff City to the fans that love the Club in the same colours and badge he found us with.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

TheRow wrote:I think thats just relegation for you to be honest Annis. That Premier League season was horrible as we just couldn't compete to any sort of decent standard and were just getting battered at the end. Many were disappointed in the thing they waited for decades for. I think the thrill of the chase was more thrilling than the actual prize - given the way we went about it, we battled for years gave everything up to get battered and finish bottom. So i think this attendance slash is more to do with the relegation than the rebrand.

I hate to say it but you are spot on! The rebrand hadn't helped morale but last season and the one before the attendances were high home and away!

Relegation was a kick in the teeth, but it was made worse as we went up as clear champions. I even rember some saying we can forget the last 4 places in the PL as we were ready for mid-table. That first win against Man City looked like confirming our readiness. In fact, it looks more like a fluke if you look at the rest of the season, although we beat them fair and square in front of a roofed CCS!!!

This season has been a massive disappointment so far. Again, we were all saying it would be a safe bet that we could go back up automatically. Hmmm.

Slade is doing a good job IMHO but is it enough? I hope so!

Tân has lost interest too. When was he last at CCS for a game? He's probably digging his escape tunnel as we speak.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Annis, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until Rotherham on Sat 6th December. Home games have lost their buzz for many now and they prefer the aways. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Bobbank59 wrote:I attend all the home games but, due to the awful football being dished out at the moment, occasional fans are not going to turn up regularly unfortunately.

Spot on, we have lost numbers due to the rebrand, etc, however I must say after the Reading performance there is no surprise that numbers are dwindling. There must have been only 14-15K there on the night and they were the unlucky ones. A win is a win but the performance was dire. It was dreadful & probably the worst performance I have seen at the new stadium (only missed 1 game). Coupled with the abysmal away form and I think that people are protesting with their feet.

If you take the quality out of a team many do not want to turn up and watch an average team play abysmal football. Yes, 3 points is great but when you pay good money you want to see entertainment. You cannot say that watching City recently has been entertaining.

If RS continues stripping the quality from the team then there is only 1 way for the crowds to go & that is down further. Fact of life. :old:

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City Now Struggling to Sell tickets for games & many fans not even bothered

The problems at the football club are massive, and in many ways I believe they are worse than they have ever been.

I am posting this not as a new fan - and by new fan I mean anyone who turned up when Sam came in with his money - I am posting this as a fan since early 80's and any of you that have been around since then will know we have had some bleak bleak times at this club we love. Without trying to gloss over previous issues and paint a rosy picture of our history, because a lot of it has been shit but I remember the old admiral kit we used to wear under franki burrows (and his cap) with the likes of Georgie wood, Nicky platenuer, Jimmy Gilligan etc, I recall the game at Lincoln city when the ayatollah was born, travelling to leige, admiral Wacker in the cup winners cup. Going under cover to the vetch when we were banned, Millar from the half way line twice in a week ( jacks then Birmingham ), the days when things were so bad that local coach company lies in south Wales wouldn't take the team away because the club couldn't pay the bills - those of you that were around then - not many of us will recall the struggles we had, but will also recall the sheer passion we have as a small group of fans.

My thoughts are things now ARE worse - we had a dream of the future through those tough days, but now we just have fears for the future.

I will get some stick ( probably from the new guys that have no idea of what we went through back then because they weren't around then) but I can't attend anymore. Cardiff city is gone unfortunately, the still have the name, but the soul has been ripped out and the few times I have attended at the CCS were a horrendous experience of watching an alien club to me. The rebrand was the end for me, I will return when my club does.. I've stuck by through tough times before and if we were at bottom of the conference right now I would still be attending if it was our club. But that's the issue - our club is gone.

Some felt the promised land of the premier league as more important than the club itself and unfortunately look what we are left with as a result. Devastation.

To me its not about the division Cardiff city play in - to me its MY cardiff city that's important, the one I grew up watching.

I just want it back.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Can't see any more than 12000 renewing in the summer. Gone is the cardiff city I used to wake up to on a Saturday and catch the 12:45 bus down to watch them. Only one man to blame.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Cost is main reason for many as my recent game cost £100 for two of us! :shock: until after Jan it will get worse Xmas ect, mind you Leicester didn't sell out last home game! :o so that's more of an indication that its a general problem not city's only? :thumbup:

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Beside the obvious rebrand & general feeling of supporters around match days I think the expectations are higher than they have ever been in the last few years.
Years back there was virtually no expectation most of the time just the thrill of winning as many games as you could.
Mind you, if we keep playing as per the Reading game, I'm not sure how much more I can take!! Lol!

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm

People will become indifferent when the football is shit.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Suprised Watford tickets are struggling. How many we sold ?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:59 pm

PhilStantShoot2Kill wrote:

The problems at the football club are massive, and in many ways I believe they are worse than they have ever been.

I am posting this not as a new fan - and by new fan I mean anyone who turned up when Sam came in with his money - I am posting this as a fan since early 80's and any of you that have been around since then will know we have had some bleak bleak times at this club we love. Without trying to gloss over previous issues and paint a rosy picture of our history, because a lot of it has been shit but I remember the old admiral kit we used to wear under franki burrows (and his cap) with the likes of Georgie wood, Nicky platenuer, Jimmy Gilligan etc, I recall the game at Lincoln city when the ayatollah was born, travelling to leige, admiral Wacker in the cup winners cup. Going under cover to the vetch when we were banned, Millar from the half way line twice in a week ( jacks then Birmingham ), the days when things were so bad that local coach company lies in south Wales wouldn't take the team away because the club couldn't pay the bills - those of you that were around then - not many of us will recall the struggles we had, but will also recall the sheer passion we have as a small group of fans.

My thoughts are things now ARE worse - we had a dream of the future through those tough days, but now we just have fears for the future.

I will get some stick ( probably from the new guys that have no idea of what we went through back then because they weren't around then) but I can't attend anymore. Cardiff city is gone unfortunately, the still have the name, but the soul has been ripped out and the few times I have attended at the CCS were a horrendous experience of watching an alien club to me. The rebrand was the end for me, I will return when my club does.. I've stuck by through tough times before and if we were at bottom of the conference right now I would still be attending if it was our club. But that's the issue - our club is gone.

Some felt the promised land of the premier league as more important than the club itself and unfortunately look what we are left with as a result. Devastation.

To me its not about the division Cardiff city play in - to me its MY cardiff city that's important, the one I grew up watching.

I just want it back.

This is same.as.me. our cardiff city is no more. We needed to be stronger.at the beginning of the rebrand but threats to the club made many including me not be active. If time could go back I think us fans may have been stronger.

I will also return when cardiff city does..

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:44 pm

I agree with all the above posts (that's a first for me). I think it's a combination of things, and everyone who has commented so far makes a valid point as far as I'm concerned.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm a season ticket holder this year and will attend every home match as I've paid for them, but I'm not enjoying them at all the stadium is dead and the crack has seemed to have gone.

Same as away games I've only done two this season and one of them was a weekend piss up in Blackpool and I'm in no rush to splash out on the next one either.

Price freeze is ending this year and I hope they see sense and lower season ticket prices surely selling cheap but a lot more is better than having 20000 empty seats next year because that's what it will be.

And if the club think they are going to get walk up grounds on £25+ tickets they having a laugh what's wrong with doing a fiver a game for season ticket holders to give away to two friends or family better then having empty seats.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:02 pm

TheRow wrote:
sloper_road_legend wrote:To many plastic utd supporters. The die hards have always been no more than 15-17 thousand

Die hards are people that would be there come rain or shine. There is no way we would get 17,000 in league 2. I think we have about 5000-6000 die hards. The rest only came when Sams money started rolling in and a decent level of football was achieved and will soon be gone if relegated once or twice.

Agree the Bournemouth attendance this year reflected that

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:59 pm

i dont care what league we are in,i dont find the experience exciting anymore,the day for me has been taken away with the rebrand....im guilty of not being arsed anymore to go and doubt if i will renew...

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:09 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:We're a mid-table Championship side. Our crowds reflect that. As for away, were quite a long way from everywhere. There are not many short trips, although Bristol City should be good next season.

Having said that, a farcical season in the PL, and relegation, have not helped. The 're-brand' has taken its toll, too. I wonder how many of the 'boycotters' will ever return? I know two blokes, from North Cardiff who went for years, home and away. Both say they will not go again, no matter what. Sometimes think that they were losing interest anyway, and are using the 're-brand' as an excuse.

Football has changed, and the fans have changed. People always drifted in and out of going down the City. Perhaps some of the old guard are ready to call it a day, but there will always be new fans.

Personally, I still enjoy going to the games, and supporting Cardiff City.

Nothing new under the sun!

I agree it's an accumulation effect, new ground, more boring, family atmosphere instead of edgy, rebrand, over paid prima donas, changes in Management, relegation, and a boring prawn sandwich atmosphere......

They need to keep the price freeze or they will see the biggest drop in season tickets for years, there are not a lot of people happy to pay more to watch City at the moment......

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:14 pm

I didn't do Reading last Friday and have been a season ticket holder for around 28 years

The last 2 seasons has just seen the interest go

I love the club but in fighting/shocking football has taken the edge of it all

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Good !

Havent bought a tickets since 2011

Why would I go and watch a team that isnt the team I support !

I don't want to watch a team in red with a horrid badge and have the cheek to put a bluebird in the middle.

Ill settle for internet streaming that is free and do not put money in the pocket of the red dragons fire & passion bullshit !

Restore pride nd history and you will get money and respect untill then tan

Eat shit !!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:I didn't do Reading last Friday and have been a season ticket holder for around 28 years

The last 2 seasons has just seen the interest go

I love the club but in fighting/shocking football has taken the edge of it all

C'MON MUN !! It's Cardiff City....not just for Christmas...for LIFE. Thick and thin..richer and poorer etc. You just need a bit of encouragement. :lol: :thumbup: