Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Nathan Cleverly v Tony Bellew result/report '

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:07 am

BBC

Tony Bellew beat Nathan Cleverly in a split decision after a gruelling 12-round fight on Saturday night, avenging his 2011 defeat.

The Liverpool fighter edged the cruiserweight bout in front of his home crowd after moving ahead with a strong ninth round following close early exchanges.

The three judges scored it 114-115 116-112 115-113 to Bellew.

The winner is likely to face reigning WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck.

The British pair, who both weighed in at 14st 3lbs on Friday, both looked exhausted in the later stages.

"I was getting tagged but I was just walking through it," Bellew told BBC Radio 5 live. "I love the sport and the glory of it - I just can't quit.

"I feel like crying - I'm so happy to get home to my three kids. Winning means so much to me. I was gutted about the split decision, I think I won nine rounds.

"I got him in the corner and roughed him up, it was old school. It was only after seven rounds when I realised I wouldn't get hit with a big shot. I began to creep forward and he was always on the back foot."

Bellew's victory gave him revenge for a majority decision defeat to the Welshman in their WBO light-heavyweight showdown at the same Echo Arena venue three years ago.

Since their first fight both men suffered knockout losses against Adonis Stevenson and Sergey Kovalev respectively.

After a cagey first few rounds dominated by jabs from both sides, Bellew stepped up the pace in the seventh, without ever landing a significant blow.

Cleverly spent most of the ninth round with his back against the ropes but Bellew missed too often and, as the fight became ragged, the Welshman clung on, only to lose on a split decision.

Cleverly said: "It shows my character, I have come up a weight. His strength showed in the second half. He was using his strength and made it pay. One-one, maybe we will have third fight."

In response, Bellew said he would "fight anywhere", including the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. "Let's do it," he added.

Re: Nathan Cleverly v Tony Bellew report

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 am

should never have been a SD, the guy who scored it 116-112 was right

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 am

enjoyed the last rounds, can't ever imagine these two will ever get this type of publicity again. Was interested how Clev would get on with the extra weight on him, brings no power was the answer.

Sky asking for PPV for that is very naughty, I think the two of them are dreaming if they think they can get the same pay-check for a rematch

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:49 am

ThomasC wrote:enjoyed the last rounds, can't ever imagine these two will ever get this type of publicity again. Was interested how Clev would get on with the extra weight on him, brings no power was the answer.

Sky asking for PPV for that is very naughty, I think the two of them are dreaming if they think they can get the same pay-check for a rematch

Yeah no power and his cardio go's out the window. I think he was expecting to step it up in the 6/7th round but couldn't get into the next gear.

That comment bellew made about selling out the millennium stadium... Maybe on an undercard to a much bigger fight but otherwise no chance. Two over rated fighters in an overhyped fight simple as that!

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:44 am

nubbsy wrote:
ThomasC wrote:enjoyed the last rounds, can't ever imagine these two will ever get this type of publicity again. Was interested how Clev would get on with the extra weight on him, brings no power was the answer.

Yeah no power and his cardio go's out the window. I think he was expecting to step it up in the 6/7th round but couldn't get into the next gear.

That comment bellew made about selling out the millennium stadium... Maybe on an undercard to a much bigger fight but otherwise no chance. Two over rated fighters in an overhyped fight simple as that!

True Nubbsy :thumbup: Clev bulking up took away his ability to maintain the high work-rate of the earlier rounds. His KO percentage was low in the lower weight class and looks to me he will struggle even more to put a dent on any decent fighter at this weight.

It's a shame, but that's life. He's done extremely well out of boxing anyhow ££££

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 am

Dreadful fight, I feel sorry for anyone who forked out money to watch that on PPV.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 am

Mugged for 16.95 clev fought with one hand for 8 rounds then sat on the ropes for 4 terrible fight

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 am

I thought Clev was going to step it up from round 6/7 after trying to tire bellew but clev ran out of steam and just held on for the latter rounds. Sad for clev but not sure where he can go from here, def not a rematch

Re: ' Nathan Cleverly v Tony Bellew result/report '

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:04 am

So there was no injury to his right hand, he just couldn't use it ! Big build up, shocking performance.... Bellew wasn't even that good.....

Thats it for clev I think..

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 am

rhondda 1015 wrote:Dreadful fight, I feel sorry for anyone who forked out money to watch that on PPV.

Luckily there were some good fights on the night - If you tuned in just for cleverly very poor I still dont understand why he wasn't using his right often

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:02 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:
rhondda 1015 wrote:Dreadful fight, I feel sorry for anyone who forked out money to watch that on PPV.

Luckily there were some good fights on the night - If you tuned in just for cleverly very poor I still dont understand why he wasn't using his right often

Yeah, I thought it must have been broken. He put such a high work rate it I was worried after the 5th he was in his corner breathing far more heavily than bellew I thought something's wrong here.

time for Them to step up the opposition for Joshua's next fight too give him a real test. As much as I enjoy watching him dismantle people in seconds!

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:48 pm

I was very dissapointed in all of the ppv bar degale and joshua it joshua it was expected, to travel up and go to the event I'd be more pissed off than having to buy it on box office, cleverly is no cruiserweight I said it before, his performance was poor but the thing that pissed me off was his clowning about in the early rounds, both cleverly and bellew should never face eachother again

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 am

CLEV did injure his hand in the 3rd round.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 am

Cleverly said he had a slight strain that's all, so we can't use he was injured as an excuse for his piss poor performance, cleverly said himself that the strain wasn't a factor! He just got tired 2nd half of fight due to having 25 pound extra muscle and admitted himself he is not a cruiser

Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 am

They both done well to sell & package this fight. I'm guessing this was one of their biggest pay-days due to the hype surrounding it.... This as an undercard to a Groves vs De Gale fight would be a good shout but the two of them want to milk it further and make it top-billing :shock:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Cheers Ned :thumbright:

Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:02 pm

I think its time for Clev to leave it there, he was nowhere near fit for that fight and he is not a cruiserweight. Not sure he had the right trainer either. Take the money and call it a day, he has done well but now is the time to bow out before he gets in with a cruiserweight who can punch.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:03 pm

The only reason Joshua, De Gale, Groves and Quigg were on the bill was to try and justify the PPV. It wasn't a classic fight but I was disappointed for Cleverly. He himself has since admitted he's not a cruiserweight.

A third fight will largely be for the sake of it unless something significant changes. They both need to move on.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:35 am

he could probably still become a good fighter at this level, he just needs to jump ship and trainer, george groves is a power-puncher, but after training with adam booth you could see he became explosive and alot more power in his shots, i think thats what clev needs to do

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 am

Possibly the worst fight I have ever seen and I wouldn't even go to the bottom of my street to watch a 3rd fight between these two let alone a big stage

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Denzil wrote:I think its time for Clev to leave it there, he was nowhere near fit for that fight and he is not a cruiserweight. Not sure he had the right trainer either. Take the money and call it a day, he has done well but now is the time to bow out before he gets in with a cruiserweight who can punch.

His old Man was tamping over his choice of trainer. He stated then what had Wilson achieved ? But very early Round I heard Wilson tell CLEV you are in this for the 12 rounds. Did anyone else hear that ? Plus who thought he could win the fight one handed ? Him or Wilson. Yes he hurt his right in the third but an interview after he said it didn't effect him. Not suprised it didn't he didn't frigging use it :laughing6:

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:35 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Denzil wrote:I think its time for Clev to leave it there, he was nowhere near fit for that fight and he is not a cruiserweight. Not sure he had the right trainer either. Take the money and call it a day, he has done well but now is the time to bow out before he gets in with a cruiserweight who can punch.

His old Man was tamping over his choice of trainer. He stated then what had Wilson achieved ? But very early Round I heard Wilson tell CLEV you are in this for the 12 rounds. Did anyone else hear that ? Plus who thought he could win the fight one handed ? Him or Wilson. Yes he hurt his right in the third but an interview after he said it didn't effect him. Not suprised it didn't he didn't frigging use it :laughing6:

Cant understand why he had him doing weights and bulking himself up to 14st 4 when he could have kept his road running up and come in at around 13st 7 and been much more mobile as well as able to last 12 rounds. I hear he never done much sparring either which really surprises me for such an important fight. I think Wilson is too much of a friend who is not willing to tell clev he is wrong and what he needs to do.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:50 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

Clev hasn't been the same since he left Enzo, all he needed back then was a finishing punch. Under Warren he was mediocre, should never have signed for him, I said for years he needed to get away for the benefit of his own career as he was being held back. Again he's picked the wrong promoter and trainer for what he wants and needs to do.

glad I didn't pay the £17 for the fight, I streamed it on wiziwig lol.

All the fights, apart from AJ's, were shocking........

Best part of the night, after seeing AJ with his 1st round knockout was seeing Joe Calzaghe in the audience :thumbup: