Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CHED EVANS IS ALLOWED BACK '

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:09 pm

' Ched Evans: Sheffield United allow convicted rapist to train at club '

By Dan Roan, BBC sports editor
Exclusive

Tuesday 12/11/14

Sheffield United will allow convicted rapist Ched Evans to train with them following their former player's release from prison, the BBC has learned.
The 25-year-old was freed last month after serving half of a five-year sentence for raping a 19 year-old woman in a hotel room in 2011.
There has been controversy over whether he should resume his football career.
The League One club continues to deliberate on any long-term decision about the Wales international.
He will train with the club for the first time since his release later this week, a move that will be seen by many as the first step towards a possible return.
It is also understood the club contacted the football authorities to notify them that they wanted the player to train with them.
Evans, who maintains his innocence, released a video statement on his personal website last month, in which he said he wanted to play again.
"It is a rare and extraordinary privilege to be permitted to play professional football. It is my hope that I will be able to return," he said.
"If that is possible then I will do so with humility having learned a very painful lesson.
"I would like a second chance but I know not everyone would agree."
Evans claims the sex was "consensual in nature and not rape" and did not offer any apology to his victim. He has so far declined any request to be interviewed by the BBC.
Evans walked out of Wymott prison in October and straight into a national debate over his future.

Almost 157,000 people have signed a petition urging Sheffield United not to take the player back after the club chose not to renew his contract following his conviction. His deal expired during his incarceration.
However, the Professional Footballers' Association said he should be allowed to play again after serving his sentence.

The BBC understands that after lengthy internal discussions, the club's board agrees that their former player has a right to rehabilitation after his punishment, and deserves a chance to make a fresh start.
Sources maintain that manager Nigel Clough is still to decide whether he wants the striker in his squad, and insist that allowing Evans to train with them does not necessarily mean he will be offered a fresh contract.
However, Clough has said that any decision on the convicted rapist is one for United's co-owners, Prince Abdullah Bin Musa'ad Bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia, and Kevin McCabe.

Re: ' CHED EVANS IS ALLOWED BACK '

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:12 pm

I think he will get his conviction over turned

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:16 pm

wez1927 wrote:I think he will get his conviction over turned

Wez, I followed the trial, I think he is innocent :thumbright:

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Annis I also believe he is innocent, Would love to see him back in football

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:20 pm

DanielHopkins18 wrote:Annis I also believe he is innocent, Would love to see him back in football

Daniel, the media hung him out to dry and I hope one day he proves he is innocent, I look forward to seeing him playing again :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

It's a strange case , looking at the video of the girl arriving at the hotel she does seem to of had a few but she's not all over the place falling or anything , unless she had more drinks in the room she does seem sober enough to consent for sex,

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

It's a strange case , looking at the video of the girl arriving at the hotel she does seem to of had a few but she's not all over the place falling or anything , unless she had more drinks in the room she does seem sober enough to consent for sex,

Daniel, correct, no one forced her to his hotel room and no one heard screams of no no no. Plenty in the case to say Ched was innocent,but the media had already hung him.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Good to hear.

Ched is innocent.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
darran1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Daniel, correct, no one forced her to his hotel room and no one heard screams of no no no. Plenty in the case to say Ched was innocent,but the media had already hung him.

How can she be ok to consent to one and not the other when they used the cctv evidence saying she was drunk strange that

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm glad he back as he did the time. I think he has been made a scapegoat in my opinion.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Let him play

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Get him back in Welsh squad. We lack good striker

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:10 pm

He's done his time so I don't see the point in continuing to punish him. He'll probably get enough abuse on the terraces and he'll know that himself...

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Basically, it doesn't matter if he is innocent or not. He has been found guilty, and served his time. He will have to spend most of the rest of his life on the Sex Offenders register.

The problem is, he can earn a lot of money as a professional footballer (He should be higher than League 1 IMO). If he was only a roadsweeper on minimum wage, no-one would complain if he went back to work doing that. But because he could earn a couple of million pounds over the next 10 years, he is expected to give up the job he is trained to do.

In this country, you get offered the chance of rehabilitation into the community after you have done your jail time. To deny him the chance do this just because he could earn a lot of money is just WRONG. It will still be difficult for him - can you imagine the abuse he is going to get if he starts playing again? It will be incredibly hard for him to get back to those previous levels, even if his conviction is subsequently overturned.

This is not to condone what he has (or hasn't ) done, but it is to acknowledge that he has served his sentence and deserves a chance to prove himself as a human being again.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:18 pm

I watched the piece on the news and I admit my first reaction was that Ched Evans should be allowed to return to work, which happens to be football.

But i then found myself thinking ' hang on he is a convicted rapist! '.

What if that girl was a member of family of mine, how would I feel ?

I would be livid.

But is this more about his job which divides public opinion ?

If he was not a footballer who earns a vast amount of money, the public would neither have heard of him or the case and the convicted rapist could go back to work, if he found employment, but the fact he is on such a large omount of money and has celebrity status the rules of public opinion change.

Very difficult situation.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:39 pm

allowing someone to ply their trade does not mean you agree with what he did. he will get abused, taunted, and many clubs won't touch him even if he does the business on the pitch for sheffield or whoever. he knows what he's letting himself in for put it that way.

i believe he is innocent of rape, but until he is found otherwise, with respect to the law he is a rapist.

we've been here before with people like lee hughes. and we've had owners like shinawatra. the bottom line is that he can play football but will he be punished long after his crime.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:54 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Basically, it doesn't matter if he is innocent or not. He has been found guilty, and served his time. He will have to spend most of the rest of his life on the Sex Offenders register.

The problem is, he can earn a lot of money as a professional footballer (He should be higher than League 1 IMO). If he was only a roadsweeper on minimum wage, no-one would complain if he went back to work doing that. But because he could earn a couple of million pounds over the next 10 years, he is expected to give up the job he is trained to do.

In this country, you get offered the chance of rehabilitation into the community after you have done your jail time. To deny him the chance do this just because he could earn a lot of money is just WRONG. It will still be difficult for him - can you imagine the abuse he is going to get if he starts playing again? It will be incredibly hard for him to get back to those previous levels, even if his conviction is subsequently overturned.

This is not to condone what he has (or hasn't ) done, but it is to acknowledge that he has served his sentence and deserves a chance to prove himself as a human being again.

exactly he needs to get on with his life. Facing people will be hard enough for him can u imagine going into dressing room some believe u some won't? Talking about him in office, admin etc

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:08 pm

gwentbluebirds wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:Basically, it doesn't matter if he is innocent or not. He has been found guilty, and served his time. He will have to spend most of the rest of his life on the Sex Offenders register.

exactly he needs to get on with his life. Facing people will be hard enough for him can u imagine going into dressing room some believe u some won't? Talking about him in office, admin etc

He is going to get abused every away game he goes to by the crowd

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Scumbag rapist goes to scumbag football club. No big shock.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Very happy he is allowed back.

People seem to forget there was another man involved and he got off scotch free. Doesn't really seem to bother some narrow minded people.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 pm

He could just play on a minimum wage contract, compromise.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 pm

For those who missed Newsnight, this is the Wikipedia page that details the list of sports pro's convicted of crimes:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... n_football

How Marlon King found the time to train is beyond me.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:25 am

@BBCNewsnight: Charlie Webster, @CharlieCW, has just resigned as patron of Sheffield United, live on Newsnight

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 am

carlccfc wrote:I watched the piece on the news and I admit my first reaction was that Ched Evans should be allowed to return to work, which happens to be football.

I would be livid.

If he was not a footballer who earns a vast amount of money, the public would neither have heard of him or the case and the convicted rapist could go back to work, if he found employment, but the fact he is on such a large omount of money and has celebrity status the rules of public opinion change.

Spot on, Carl! :thumbup:

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:08 am

f**k me marlon kings record ain't small is it!!!

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:47 am

Lee Hughes allowed back

That Plymouth keeper who killed a young family - allowed back

So why not Ched Evans ?

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 am

I think this is all about guilt. As long as his conviction stands,I don't think he should wear a Wales shirt, but if SHeffield are willing to be involved in his rehabilitation, then that is fine. If he trains with the side, that would be good for him but I still have a problem with him playing and being seen as a role model.

If the conviction is overturned, I will be the first to welcome him into the fold. :thumbup:

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 am

So if Evans is a rapist then what is the other bloke involved meant to be ?????

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:39 pm

carlccfc wrote:I watched the piece on the news and I admit my first reaction was that Ched Evans should be allowed to return to work, which happens to be football.

I would be livid.

so overall, do you think should he be allowed back?

'very difficult situation' is neither here nor there.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:So if Evans is a rapist then what is the other bloke involved meant to be ?????

I don't think the three of them entered the room together. I am not sure she had even met Ched before he entered the room later.....