Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SMALL STEPS TO SUCCESS "

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Russell Slade must be given credit for what he has achieved in such a short space of time, three wins from four games is better than most could have expected considering how we were playing before Ole left the club.

What Slade has done is not rocket science but nevertheless he has done what we were all calling for, consistency.

Consistency in not just results but consistency in selection, formation and tactics.

The players have belief in what they are doing, it is not going to click overnight and we will not become world beaters with this strategy either but we will be more difficult to beat than previously this season.

The first half was a drab affair with neither side really creating any clear cut chances, we needed to step it up, raise the tempo and get the fans behind the team.

I was surprised to see Pilkington replaced by Joe Ralls at the start of the second half, I don't remember Pilkington picking up a knock so I can only assume it was a tactical change.

From the kick off in the second half City went at Leeds and were playing the possession football further up the pitch than we did in the first half.

Leeds are a poor team in all honesty, though they did score a very good team goal, but overall the Bluebirds deserved their victory.

Slade has identified the obvious and glaring problems at Cardiff and he has addressed them immediately, fitness levels are improving, we are becoming stronger defensively and we now have consistency to the starting eleven, Macheda is scoring goals and gaining belief, Noone is more effective as each game passes and Le Fondre is working his socks off and is somewhat of an unsung hero.

The biggest improvement is defensively though, we dod not look the shaky outfit we were just a few games ago, Morrison is reading the game and he is not a talking point of our game which highlights he is going about his business in a quiet but effective manner, he is reading the game and making the challenges with little fuss.

But the stand out player this afternoon and a player who is quickly becoming a fan's favourite is 'Frank' Bruno Manga, he is a wall in the heart of the defence, he looks unfazed by anything that happens, he took his goal superb today and his beaming smile was more evidence of a player and team who are finally enjoying their football.

It is not all done and dusted and there is a whole lot more that this squad can achieve, the football can be better and in the medium to long term I hope that it does improve as City fans will want to see entertaining football as well as positive results but in the short term, Russell Slade has done as much as we could expect any manager to achieve.

Three wins from three at home is the perfect start and a foundation to build from, respect to Slade, the coaches and the players and with two away games at teams struggling near the foot of the table I really do believe we will get our first away win of the season.

Small steps but positive steps are being taken and today, in particular the second half, was as enjoyable as any other this season.

I am looking forward to Tuesday and travelling to Bolton, I expect Slade will freshen it up a little bit, with Kenwyne Jones and Ravel Morrison vying for starting places.

Re: SMALL STEPS TO SUCCESS

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Good post, agree with that and I also think he will make a few changes in particular ravel and kj as we look to end this awful away form.

Re: " SMALL STEPS TO SUCCESS "

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Pilkington was ill.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:20 pm

emjay wrote:Pilkington was ill.

Cheers, I didn't notice anything during the first half :thumbup:

Re: SMALL STEPS TO SUCCESS

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Good post, agree with that and I also think he will make a few changes in particular ravel and kj as we look to end this awful away form.

Once we get our first away win, coupled with good results at home then we will surely make the break into the play offs :thumbup:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:27 pm

carlccfc wrote:
emjay wrote:Pilkington was ill.

Cheers, I didn't notice anything during the first half :thumbup:

In Slade's post match interview he stated that Pilkington was ill after 30 mins.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:29 pm

We are looking more organised and disciplined now.

Quite a few players are now starting to settle and partnerships are taking place.

We are also playing the full 90 now.

Small improvements all over the place, but important ones too.

I still feel there is much,much more to offer and that the likes of Turner, R Morrison, Daehli and maybe even Guerra will be blooded by Slade in the next few weeks to push us on again and maybe give us a bit more spark going forward. At least we look settled with 4 of the back 5 picking themselves, the 4 across the middle all earning their places and strikers scoring goals. Le Fondre desperately needs 1 to go in.

need 2 things now - an away win and a clean sheet. :thumbup:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Well done Carl. First positiveand honest post from you in a while. And under your own name too!!! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:10 pm

A good 3pts today - Just need to sort out our away record this season.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 am

The first half was a drab affair with neither side really creating any clear cut chances, we needed to step it up, raise the tempo and get the fans behind the team ?
I’ve seen a few reports saying this and I honestly don’t understand it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half, both teams pushing forward; probing and looking to score it did go a little flat in the last five minutes but still a lot better than most games this season
Leeds are a poor team in all honesty, though they did score a very good team goal, but overall the Bluebirds deserved their victory? I thought it was a brilliant individual effort by Alex Mowatt who was arguably the best player on the park.
Cardiff worked hard and deserved the win, Leeds will play worse and win :ayatollah:
Oh and when we woke up I thought we got behind the team as well as anytime this season.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:04 am

Great report there Carl.
We needed a manager to bring our players together like a family and Slade is successfully doing this.
Also fitness breeds confidence.
Nice to now see a settled team.
Southampton have adopted this approach and look at them unbeaten in seven games.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:25 am

Manga is like the championship version of a Desially or Thuram, if he plays like that every week those comparisons will become less daft. Ole did leave something for us, a bargain by the looks of it. Well done the scouting team for this one, fairPlay :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:13 am

Yes an absolute colossus we have in Bruno!!

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:40 am

moonstomper1927 wrote:The first half was a drab affair with neither side really creating any clear cut chances, we needed to step it up, raise the tempo and get the fans behind the team ?
I’ve seen a few reports saying this and I honestly don’t understand it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half, both teams pushing forward; probing and looking to score it did go a little flat in the last five minutes but still a lot better than most games this season
Leeds are a poor team in all honesty, though they did score a very good team goal, but overall the Bluebirds deserved their victory? I thought it was a brilliant individual effort by Alex Mowatt who was arguably the best player on the park.
Cardiff worked hard and deserved the win, Leeds will play worse and win :ayatollah:
Oh and when we woke up I thought we got behind the team as well as anytime this season.

Spot on post this.

I enjoyed the first half. Considering Leeds are a poor side their defence played some good possession football in defence. They look to go forward but their attack was their problem. Their attackers were simple not good enough and struggled to get anywhere. It was only when their defence joined the attack they managed to see our goal. I felt Leeds played a reasonable defence line but did not want to advance forward with it. They had no choice in the matter when it soon became apparent their strikers were not up to much on their own.

We dominated the first half because of this and could have gone in a couple up at the break if our front line was a bit sharper. It was only a question of time before we got the goal and no surprise we found ourselves 2 up. The Leeds goal was excellent and they must be pinching themselves today that they did not commit a bit more with their defence and midfield going forward. Perhaps they felt we had too much up front for a break. My only concern is how our defence back off for their goal. Very similar to the one against Blackpool. Sometimes you have to take the risk in your own area and get the tackle in.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:37 pm

I didn't think Leeds were that poor yesterday but maybe thier game plan was to stay organised and frustrate us and wait for something to drop for them and that made them look ordinary. The first half was like a game of chess but if Alf had scored with one of the chances he had the game would have opened up a lot sooner than it did. We needed to score the first goal and when we did the result was never in doubt, even after Leeds scored a very good goal we never give them another look in.

Lots of signs that we are turning the corner in terms of performances and conceding only 1 goal in each of our last 7 games will soon, I believe, be followed by a run of clean sheets. With us now looking to carry more of a goal threat the clean sheets will start delivering wins, both home and away, and with this League being so close if we carry on with this rate of improvement we will be right in the promotion mix by Christmas.

We just need to get a first away win this season and surely it has to come from either Bolton or Birmingham.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:31 pm

castleblue wrote:I didn't think Leeds were that poor yesterday but maybe thier game plan was to stay organised and frustrate us and wait for something to drop for them and that made them look ordinary. The first half was like a game of chess but if Alf had scored with one of the chances he had the game would have opened up a lot sooner than it did. We needed to score the first goal and when we did the result was never in doubt, even after Leeds scored a very good goal we never give them another look in.

Lots of signs that we are turning the corner in terms of performances and conceding only 1 goal in each of our last 7 games will soon, I believe, be followed by a run of clean sheets. With us now looking to carry more of a goal threat the clean sheets will start delivering wins, both home and away, and with this League being so close if we carry on with this rate of improvement we will be right in the promotion mix by Christmas.

We just need to get a first away win this season and surely it has to come from either Bolton or Birmingham.

Leeds certainly had a gameplan Gary but it didn't involve creating many chances, I found the first half quite boring if I am honest.

But like you, I see the improvements being made and it is not just the results.

I was hoping we would keep the evasive clean sheet when we were 2-0 up but I don't think it will be too long either before do keep our first under Slade.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am

Manager Russell Slade was delighted to see Cardiff pick up their third consecutive home victory but now he knows we have to improve our away form as well.

Three on the trot at home came courtesy of goals from Ecuele Manga, Macheda and Jones and speaking to the Official Site the gaffer admitted the first half was pretty much a non event, but he was delighted with the second half.

'I'm pleased. It was a bit of a non event first half in many ways. I don't think anyone expected that in the second half! It was an entertaining game for the right reasons from our point of view. The players put in a really good shift - particularly second half when we needed to find a little bit more energy, a little bit more intensity. We found that - the front two led by example I felt, putting the Leeds defence under more pressure.'

Having broken the deadlock, Slade went on to say that he knew it was very important for the side to remain compact and disciplined, and at that stage he felt we continued doing the right things, not sitting back, but keeping them under pressure and of course the margin became more secure in the game as a result of that.

As for the half time substitution of Anthony Pilkington, the gaffer revealed that ahead of the game he had been feeling ill and was really feeling the effects of that around the 30 minute mark, so having made it till half time it was only right to bring him off.

The only real disappointment from the match that he picked up on was us not keeping the clean sheet but he knows that will come as we continue to improve further.

With a good home form behind him since arriving as our manager, he also made the comment about wanting to see our away form improve now as well.

'It's a great start, we need to address our away from and pick up points away from home. It's a very fine line in this league between winning, drawing and losing. All teams are capable of victory on their day. My philosophy will be to win the next two games.'

Following the match the club also released a statement concerning Kenwyne Jones as he has unfortunately suffered a family tragedy, and the club wished to ask everyone - press included - to give him time and space and respect his and his families privacy during this time.

Read more: http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z3HxgCmJ2r