' Cardiff City are wasting the talent of Mats Daehli '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby NIGELNIGLE » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Cardiff City are wasting the talent of Mats Daehli, the most gifted footballer at the club.

Thursday 30/10/2014

Fans columnist and Bluebirds blogger Scott Johnson argues Cardiff need the creativity of their best player.

Cardiff City are wasting the prodigious talents of Mats Moller Daehli.

The Bluebirds’ recent home wins against Nottingham Forest and Ipswich Town were each impressive, but could easily have panned out very differently.

Russell Slade’s men started the games on the back foot before finding a breakthrough that served to stun their opponents.

Nottingham Forest’s assault on the Cardiff back four, specifically makeshift left-back Joe Ralls, was led by former favourite Chris Burke, who drove his side forward and created countless opportunities.

The focal point of Ipswich’s creative thrusts was Welsh international Jonathan Williams. With the freedom to float around the Cardiff half, ‘Joniesta’ caused no end of problems.

If only Cardiff had a tiny, fair-haired, nimble playmaker they could call upon to wreak havoc.

Ah yes, Mats Moller Daehli.

The Norwegian prodigy has featured in only 25 minutes of Russell Slade’s reign thus far. As a sub, replacing a sub, when Tom Adeyemi came on and off again in the Forest game, with Cardiff already two goals ahead.

He was overlooked on Saturday when Cardiff were trailing at Millwall and appears to be on the outside looking in at present.

You would think that supporters would be up in arms, but they too seem to have lost a little confidence in Daehli after some underwhelming early-season showings.

It would appear that he has fallen out of fashion. How times change.

Already firmly established in the Norwegian national side, the 19-year-old dazzled during a brief cameo appearance in an FA Cup tie at Bolton back in January, leaving Cardiff fans gushing with plaudits.

He was one of the few positives in the season and his signing was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s greatest contribution to the Cardiff cause during his time in charge.

Daehli turned down former club Manchester United to link up with his former Molde boss and he is likely to be one of the few that was sorry to see him dismissed last month.

The fact is that Daehli has been subbed in almost every single one of his starts this season and appeared to be struggling with the physicality and lack of time on the ball, a feature of the Championship.

But he was far from alone in terms of under-performing and at least he had a valid excuse, having not featured at this level before.

During this period, he has continued to star for Norway, finding the net in an impressive 3-0 win in Malta. A star performer at international level and a domestic outcast.

Solksjaer’s tinkering has resulted in a thirst for stability and Slade’s confidence in the 11 players that won back to back games is welcome and understandable. Some will claim that you should never change a winning side, but Cardiff looked leggy and stale at Millwall and with games coming thick and fast, how Slade rotates his options will define Cardiff’s season.

Southampton stuffed Sunderland 8-0 a couple of weeks ago but still changed the side for the visit of Stoke at the weekend. Sadio Mane was brought in and scored the only goal in a 1-0 win.

The fact is that Daehli is the most technically gifted player in the side and Cardiff’s brightest prospect since Aaron Ramsey. Therefore it is Slade’s job to find a place for him because he will certainly improve the side.

He is also still a teenager. His form is bound to fluctuate as he learns his craft and expectations need to be a bit more reasonable.

Some claim that he can only play in a free role or behind the striker, concluding that he is not compatible with Slade’s rigid 4-4-2, but he plays on the left for his country and excelled there at times under Solskjaer.

Anthony Pilkington and Craig Noone have proven integral to Slade’s we’re in it together approach, but Daehli is not exactly a liability when it comes to work ethic either.

His continued absence from the side is puzzling and the lack of sympathy and support for Daehli is even harder to fathom, but Peter Whittingham’s fluctuating popularity highlights just how fickle fans can be sometimes.

Cardiff are struggling for creativity, yet ironically they boast Daehli and Ravel Morrison amongst their substitutes. It was similar last season when Wilfried Zaha spent most of the campaign on the periphery while the players picked ahead of him floundered.

But where Morrison and Zaha were temporary solutions, Daehli is Cardiff’s asset and if they don’t use him, they will lose him.

Marooned in the second tier, shorn of his mentor and out of favour, Daehli is entitled to be a little demoralised at present.

With a contract fast approaching its final 12 months, he is also bound to be taking stock and surveying his options. Cardiff might really regret not making the most of Daehli while they still can.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ts-8021913
NIGELNIGLE

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Cardiff City are wasting the talent of Mats Daehli

Postby crywolf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:46 pm

I think Hoegmo, the national team coach of Norway, wants to build the future around Dahlie and Odegaard as the main creative midtfielders. And give both plenty of chances at the international level. That means that if Slade wants it "back to basic" Dahlie would not stay, he would get plenty of offers. I have seen Odegaard, and I must say he has the same close control as Dahlie, same understanding of the game, but has more pace and momentum to his game. More likely to beat a man 1v1. At the age of 15! Thats why the top clubs are interested. His a top prospect for a 18-19 years old, but he is 15.
crywolf

Postby Colourblind » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

A poor man's Will Hughes in my opinion. Cannot understand why so many fans rate him. On second thoughts, I do as most City supporters haven't got a clue.
Colourblind

Postby nicky evans » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

exactly he hasnt done anything good any the games ive watched hes been very poor and lightweight i remember counting one game this season how many times he lost the ball and it was 6 in first half he went off shortly after
nicky evans

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:34 pm

To the last two posters. Nope, we havent got a clue. Clearly not good enough for City, and need to move on..
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/22 ... hared=true
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby LonCar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Colourblind wrote: Cannot understand why so many fans rate him. On second thoughts, I do as most City supporters haven't got a clue.

Rated amongst the biggest talent in the world by football website Bleacher Report today.
Manchester united wanted him when he signed for us. There are plenty of clubs that are interested. Are they also clueless? :lol:
LonCar

Postby lathamgaffney » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Colourblind wrote:A poor man's Will Hughes in my opinion. Cannot understand why so many fans rate him. On second thoughts, I do as most City supporters haven't got a clue.

:lol: :wave:
09/01/2015 - The Rebirth of the Bluebirds

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LathamGaffney
lathamgaffney

Re: ' Cardiff City are wasting the talent of Mats Daehli '

Postby Northern Light » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Omg, Colourblind, you sure you are only colourblind?

He is 19 and of course his game will be a little up and down. If you check this forum, several games this season Mats been voted top 3 in the poll for MOTM.

Couple of months ago, people in this forum was mainly very positive to the lad, what the f*** has happened here lately?
Northern Light

Postby mugsy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 pm

I've seen him have good 20 minute spells in games and then disappear. If he's anywhere near as good as some people on this forum think he is, we will sell him for a fortune ( but I wont be holding my breath in that regard ).
mugsy

Postby Colourblind » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Staggering that one of the " best talents in world football" cant get in a shambles of a team that lost to the mighty Blackpool and Millwall. But I don't think his fancy footwork coupled with no end product would have made much difference.
Colourblind

Postby Barry Chuckle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Has not performed this season anywhere near his capabilities and therefore isn't in the team. That's life.
Barry Chuckle

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:Has not performed this season anywhere near his capabilities and therefore isn't in the team. That's life.

So he needs to be better than himself and not Noone. And gets benched when hitting form. Thats life alright.
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Barry Chuckle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:Has not performed this season anywhere near his capabilities and therefore isn't in the team. That's life.

So he needs to be better than himself and not Noone. And gets benched when hitting form. Thats life alright.

The only time Daehli has looked any good this year is when played behind the striker. When he's been on the wing, he's been wholly average and anonymous & rightly dropped for Noone.

Form? What form? :lol: not at any time has he done anything of note. He's not tearing the division apart. Although, guessing from your name, I can see why you are being so positive about him.
Barry Chuckle

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:

The only time Daehli has looked any good this year is when played behind the striker. When he's been on the wing, he's been wholly average and anonymous & rightly dropped for Noone.

Form? What form? :lol: not at any time has he done anything of note. He's not tearing the division apart. Although, guessing from your name, I can see why you are being so positive about him.
yes we saw him come together in the internationals and looking him old self. But he didnt start for Cardiff after that. But Noone dosent have to preform as he is on a freebie. What player in the team have been ripping the division apart?
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby LonCar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:

Noone hasn't torn the division apart either, (quite frankly neither has Pilks but thats another story) nor does he have any end product. He is 27 with tons of experience, Matts is 19, yet you hold Matts to a higher standard? Like llan bluebird said Noone seems immune to criticism, if whitts played like Noone played in the last few games he would be torn apart.
LonCar

Postby Barry Chuckle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:48 pm

LonCar wrote:Noone hasn't torn the division apart either, (quite frankly neither has Pilks but thats another story) nor does he have any end product. He is 27 with tons of experience, Matts is 19, yet you hold Matts to a higher standard? Like llan bluebird said Noone seems immune to criticism, if whitts played like Noone played in the last few games he would be torn apart.

I never suggested that Noone was tearing the division apart. :? He's certainly played better than Daehli on the wing this season though.

I'm not the one holding Matts to a high standard, all you lot are doing that. Banging on about what a wonderful player he is, when frankly he's been a massive disappointment this season. :shock:

He's been poor on the wing and has been replaced by a more experienced player who has performed better than him. :thumbup:
Barry Chuckle

Postby LonCar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
LonCar wrote:Noone hasn't torn the division apart either, (quite frankly neither has Pilks but thats another story) nor does he have any end product. He is 27 with tons of experience, Matts is 19, yet you hold Matts to a higher standard? Like llan bluebird said Noone seems immune to criticism, if whitts played like Noone played in the last few games he would be torn apart.

I never suggested that Noone was tearing the division apart. :? He's certainly played better than Daehli on the wing this season though.

I'm not the one holding Matts to a high standard, all you lot are doing that. Banging on about what a wonderful player he is, when frankly he's been a massive disappointment this season. :shock:

He's been poor on the wing and has been replaced by a more experienced player who has performed better than him. :thumbup:

What i mean by holding him to a higher standard is that some people seem to expect him to constantly perform as one of our best players despite being only 19. i.e what you said about ripping this division apart, i.e the constant talk about end product. I mean are any of our players ripping the division apart? Not really.
Reading some of the criticisms of him, it's like people forget about the normal progression of young players, how they go through inconsistent spells and poor form and how that is a normal part of a young players progress as they adapt to the demands of first team football.
As for Noone, Matts been voted MOM a few times this season,while Noone was never MOM, hardly got any votes. So it seems like you are massively outvoted on that one.
About end product, Noone hasn't got a single goal or assist. Matts has 2 assist. So on current form the argument that Noone (or most of our midfielders bar Whitts) is more effective is bullshit.
I rate them both mind, Noone has more pace but Matts has more of an eye for a pass and vision, I would play them both and drop Pilks :thumbup:
LonCar

Postby Bluebina » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:32 pm

He is a definate talent, but is not ready for first team Champioship football yet from what I have seen so far this season. He needs to work in the gym and get strong enough to o win some tackles and stop getting knocked off the ball.

I would do just that and bring in in slowly increasing his game time from now till Christmas, and see where he is in the New Year. I am pretty sure he will become a top player at a top club in a few seasons time, and would hate to see us give him away cheap now....
Bluebina

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Daehli is an Iniesta/Mata type of player. Skillful with quick feet to wriggle away from players to make half a yard of space to create, but doesn't have the pace to get away from players after he's beaten them. Daehli isn't pacey enough on the wing, he can't knock the ball past an opponent and beat him for pace like Bale and his lack of size means he would struggle in centre midfield in a basic 4-4-2. There is only one position for Daehli to utilise his strengths and that is in a free role just behind the striker, which would mean we would have to switch to 4-4-1-1 to accommodate him.

Johnny Williams was mentioned in the article and Johnny Williams put in the sort of performance Daehli should be putting in consistently for us this season. As already said, Daehli needs to improve on his end product and I'm starting to worry Daehli isn't cut out for the British game. However, he is still only 19, is supremely talented and will keep getting better for us if we persevere with him.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Whitts as a workhorse in midfield or matts in a 442 both don't accentuate their talents

Matts needs to be in a 4231 like most prem teams play.He is too exposed as a winger, hasn't got the pace and not defensively minded enough. Away we could play him as a second striker to fill midfield but at the moment ravel is streets ahead of him.

My fear with Nooney was if he started the game quietly he would sometimes go missing. As our last championship season went on he got better and better. He isn't firing on all cylinders but he will play himself back into form.

I love reading he most play, but where ? Jonny Williams played well against us in a three man midfield but was and I can't believe i am saying this was bullied by Whitts (who scored another screamer !!!) and his team lost 3-1 :roll: must have played really well :o
llan bluebird

Postby random3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Bluebina wrote:He is a definate talent, but is not ready for first team Champioship football yet

Yet he is dominating every international match he is playing at the moment. (Even defensively).
random3

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 pm

random3 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:He is a definate talent, but is not ready for first team Champioship football yet

Yet he is dominating every international match he is playing at the moment. (Even defensively).

Totally different game from international to championship. Far more time in internationals and he has only played in 5 proper games
llan bluebird

Postby Scandinavianbluebird » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
random3 wrote:

Totally different game from international to championship. Far more time in internationals and he has only played in 5 proper games

So he better take up on the interest from the likes of Chelsea and Man utd then.. Looks like Cardiff isnt the place for developing talent. We Rather spend 50 mill on players and plan for a long run in the championship.
Scandinavianbluebird

Postby Dve » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Urban myth 1: The championship is more physical than the Premier League.

Hence:

- the Championship players are bigger and better trained than Premier League players.
- a newly promoted team, keeping their core of players from the season before, would statistically be physical superior to any average Premier League club.
- if a PL club meats a CS club, the PL players will be bullied of the ball.
- players like Messi, Zola, Iniesta, Xavi (and Dæhli) would all flop in the CS.

Urban myth 2: Dæhli gets constantly bullied of the ball.

No, he´s not. Not if the ball is on the ground. People said even before they saw him playing, that they worried he would be too lightweight, and then they started to look for proofs of this. And during a 90 minutes game, "everybody" get bullied of the ball at least once. See it happens once - then, there is your proof.

With the ball on the ground, I would claim that Gunnarsson is more often bullied of the ball than Dæhli. People just don´t notice, cause it doesn´t match their prejudices. The ability to keep the ball in his feet, also while surrounded by opponents, is one of Dæhli´s strongest talents. This fact does not at all harmonize with the impression that he´s too easily bullied of the ball. But play hoofball, and let him go into an air duel with a player 6,5 feet tall, yes he would lose.

Dæhli was one of our best and most consistent players last season, and I think he proved to everyone he was good enough for PL - even played as a left winger. But according to the logic of some posters here, not good enough of CS. Sounds like a step from PL to CS is in fact a promotion.

Dæhli has not been in form so far this season, but he´s getting there. And from what I witnessed in the international matches, he´s already there. The opposition was maybe not the best, but it´s not relevant, really. The glue was simply back to his boot. People still believe he belongs at a lower level, something like The Premier League.
Dve

Postby Bakedalasker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Dve wrote:Urban myth 1: The championship is more physical than the Premier League.

Hence:

- the Championship players are bigger and better trained than Premier League players.
- a newly promoted team, keeping their core of players from the season before, would statistically be physical superior to any average Premier League club.

No, he´s not. Not if the ball is on the ground. People said even before they saw him playing, that they worried he would be too lightweight, and then they started to look for proofs of this. And during a 90 minutes game, "everybody" get bullied of the ball at least once. See it happens once - then, there is your proof.

With the ball on the ground, I would claim that Gunnarsson is more often bullied of the ball than Dæhli. People just don´t notice, cause it doesn´t match their prejudices. The ability to keep the ball in his feet, also while surrounded by opponents, is one of Dæhli´s strongest talents. This fact does not at all harmonize with the impression that he´s too easily bullied of the ball. But play hoofball, and let him go into an air duel with a player 6,5 feet tall, yes he would lose.

Dæhli was one of our best and most consistent players last season, and I think he proved to everyone he was good enough for PL - even played as a left winger. But according to the logic of some posters here, not good enough of CS. Sounds like a step from PL to CS is in fact a promotion.

Dæhli has not been in form so far this season, but he´s getting there. And from what I witnessed in the international matches, he´s already there. The opposition was maybe not the best, but it´s not relevant, really. The glue was simply back to his boot. People still believe he belongs at a lower level, something like The Premier League.

But he has done very little this season.

You say he has not been inform this season but he is getting there. We are quarter of a way through the season and he is still getting there. Will he get there?
Bakedalasker

Postby Dve » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Dve wrote:Urban myth 1: The championship is more physical than the Premier League.

Hence:

You say he has not been inform this season but he is getting there. We are quarter of a way through the season and he is still getting there. Will he get there?

Out of form, he´s been voted man of the match twice. In form, he´s not being played. In my opinion, he should be on there. Still, I respect that you see it differently.
Dve

Postby Bakedalasker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 am

Dve wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Hence:

Out of form, he´s been voted man of the match twice. In form, he´s not being played. In my opinion, he should be on there. Still, I respect that you see it differently.

Tbh I'm not impressed with any of them yet but Daehli has been disappointing considering how good he look last season.
Bakedalasker

Postby DandoCCFC » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:58 am

Not a thing wrong said in that for me.

I have been a critic but after the showings we seen in the Prem are we not allowed to keep the expectations and positivity high with this talent we have?

I think he has been played out of position and is almost in a situation Ozil is, can do the job out of position but both have undoubted ability to be the creator.. make things happen out of nothing but are not been played in that golden position where they can excel.

Slade has no plans to change anything, likes a solid 11 for every game if he can..I hope Daelhi notices he has to work for his place and when given the chance.

I think he should have most defiantly been brought on with Ravel and Daelhi together.. we would have created clear cut chances in the second half with them two inter changing. Daelhi also has good ball retention and uses the ball wisely, passing is a simple thing which he never overdoes.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby ThomasC » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:26 am

having no football philosophy is hardly fertile ground for youth development in the first team. Lumping it upfront some games, standing off the opposition, to pressing high up the pitch.
ThomasC

Postby Skewett » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am

Hence:

Some good points there and I agree with all of them. Fans who say he hasn't hit form this season are wrong. Fact is when he's played he's performed really well. For most of this season though he hasn't been played so how can he be viewed in or out of form.

I particularly like your rebuttal of him being easy to knock off the ball because i see it like you do. He is rarely knocked off the ball...... in fact opponents often don't get anywhere near him and like most players who are good dribblers he draws out lots of fouls from the opposition. What's more when he's knocked he bounces straight back up. Contrast that to someone as big as Kenwynne Jones who I've noticed goes down and stays down whilst play goes on around him.

Wow! Matts more robust than Kenwyne - you bet.
Just that most wouldn't want to admit that.

Trouble is lots of our fans prefer the lump it as far as you can type of player.
Skewett

Next

Return to General Chat