Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FANS STILL DIVIDED REGARDING PETER WHITTINGHAM

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

What's your honest Opinions ?

Peter Whittingham splits Cardiff City fan base more than any player: Paul Abbandonato defends criticism of Bluebirds star

Oct 29, 2014

In the wake of criticism in my column, Cardiff City's midfield talisman was brilliant against Nottingham Forest and Ipswich, then totally anonymous during the defeat at Millwall. He still divides opinion more than any player.

Peter Whittingham was on the end of some rough stuff at Millwall

No footballer at Cardiff City, it’s fair to say, splits the fan base right at this moment in time more than Peter Whittingham.

You’ve only got to look at the response to my ‘Leave out Whitts’ suggestion of a few weeks ago for evidence of that.

The responses flooded in, ranging from “Drop Whitts, are you nuts?” to “About time someone had the guts to write what the fans have been saying for ages.”

Everyone has a view on football. Debate and opinion rages.

And with Whittingham at the moment it seems to be black or white, with very little in between.

A bit, I guess you could say, like his own performances recently.

Huw Evans Picture AgencyWhittingham was mobbed after his goal against Forest
Whether responding to the criticism, or whether fired up by new boss Russell Slade, Whittingham’s was back to his goalscoring finest in the first half against Nottingham Forest, only to then fade as the Bluebirds were over-run in the second period.

David Vaughan began dominating the midfield... and personally I don’t believe the little Welshman is a patch on Whittingham at his best.

The last two games summed up the Whittingham quandary Slade faces even more.

The midfield magician lifted his team with that wonder goal to drag Cardiff level against Ipswich, from which point they didn’t look back as they triumphed 3-1.

It was very much a Whittingham-inspired triumph.

But he was as bad at Millwall as he was good against Ipswich, anonymous as the Bluebirds lost 1-0.

Just when Cardiff needed inspiration, drive and leadership from their senior players, with Aron Gunnarsson having departed the fray, Whittingham would be the first to admit he was amongst those who failed to provide it.

Of course, the moment Whittingham began scoring again, the tweets and suggestions those questioning his place in the team “know nothing about football” began to flood in.

The moment he was off key again, the silence was profound.

Not that I have a problem with that. As I say, it’s the nature of sport that people are entitled to their views. Who is right and who is wrong is often dependent upon you point of view.

Peter Whittingham

Games: 309 - Goals: 70

Personally, I stand 100 per cent behind my previous constructive criticism of Whittingham.

A Cardiff legend, one of the best value for money signings in the club’s history, I was of the school of thought that he wasn’t worth his place in the team any more based on performances this season and that Slade possessed alternative options.

Whittingham’s too good a player to cast adrift for good. Just take him out of the firing line for a couple of matches and let him come back revived and refreshed.

As it was, Slade chose to stick with Whittingham and was rewarded with a player far more like his old self against Forest and Ipswich. We even had some dogged tackles to go with his wonderful goals and undoubted set piece expertise.

Re: FANS STILL DIVIDED REGARDING PETER WHITTINGHAM

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:12 am

Against Forest and Ipswich Whitts was back to his best, because it was the first time since DJ that he was played in an AM role in a 4,4,2 formation with a DM and 2 wingers. Against Millwall Gunner was injured in the first 5 minutes and played on until the 34th minute, but the formation wasn't working as Gunner was carrying an injury. Ralls replaced him, but he is not a DM, therefore Whitts couldn't play his AM role as the formation was wrong. Playing players out of position rarely works, but the DM role is a problem with Dikgacoi injured as there is no cover for Gunner.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 am

I've got to the point where the constant criticising and wanting Whitts to be something he's not has to stop. Accept him for what he is everyone, A talented left footer as slow as a the M25 in rush hour :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Whitts should see out his career with us, lets get back to basics and support the players who want to be Bluebirds. Whitts always wears blue boots if i'm not mistaken? Get rid of the mercenaries and lets get a squad that are proud to play here

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 am

ThomasC wrote:I've got to the point where the constant criticising and wanting Whitts to be something he's not has to stop. Accept him for what he is everyone, A talented left footer as slow as a the M25 in rush hour :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Whitts should see out his career with us, lets get back to basics and support the players who want to be Bluebirds. Whitts always wears blue boots if i'm not mistaken? Get rid of the mercenaries and lets get a squad that are proud to play here

sadly a player being proud want win us games,we need quality and commitment..... :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:39 am

I find that when Whitts isn't up for it..we are carrying him...and no manager to date brings him off when he isn't performing until its too late..its like they are waiting and thinking

"Go on whitts give us a magical moment" deliver a killer ball or a goal...you can see his head drop when he is not performing and he seems to go into his shell.

On his day he is magical but on an off day he is anonymous

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:47 am

Cardiff fans love to have someone to blame and he's the current favourite. The whole team can play poorly or be outplayed by the better side and it's all his fault. Yes he can have poor games but who doesn't? If he played as well as some fans seem to demand, week in week out, he would be playing for someone else in the PL.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 am

Shit journalist so it make no difference

I have a porshe 911, it really is a crap car. Whenever I hitch my touring caravan to the tow bar it performs poorly....

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 am

we cant expect whitts to win us every single game.

thats what bothers me about the criticism for him, with our spoilt fans he needs to be top notch every game, even the best players in the world cant perform every single game

maybe the issue is when whitts is on his off game other players are just not stepping up with some magic!

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 am

My frustrations with Whitts are probably like most, a reflection of how we deep down regard him as a good servant of the club.

What drives me nuts though is his almost non existent tackling which really isn't a trait you want in a central midfield player and his regular hitting the first defender at corners and free kicks. He seems to do this when you need him the most. Against Millwall fans groaned regularly when we were chasing the game and this happened a number of times. It's just frustrating from someone who takes almost all our corners and free kicks.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Skewett wrote:My frustrations with Whitts are probably like most, a reflection of how we deep down regard him as a good servant of the club.

What drives me nuts though is his almost non existent tackling which really isn't a trait you want in a central midfield player and his regular hitting the first defender at corners and free kicks. He seems to do this when you need him the most. Against Millwall fans groaned regularly when we were chasing the game and this happened a number of times. It's just frustrating from someone who takes almost all our corners and free kicks.

Whitts plays for cardiff city a top end championship club.

As a central midfielder he is wildly unbalanced. His technique, reading of the game and passing ability is premier league, his physical attributes are barely womens premier league this equates to a top half championship player.

To balance up our midfield you need a physical specimen with him. I actually believe Tom Adeyemi will be that man. Whitts has played well with gunnar when the wingers and hugging the touchline. Slade needs to figure out what our counter will be when the opposition sacrifice a strike to put a 3rd central midfielder in. Gunnar and Whitts held thier own 3 vrs 2 until Gunnar went off. Both wingers should have done more on Saturday as the full back could have really pushed on.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Fans may be divided,90% for and 10% against in my view.Seems to have the loudest cheer when the teams are announced at games.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:29 pm

theclaw wrote:Fans may be divided,90% for and 10% against in my view.Seems to have the loudest cheer when the teams are announced at games.

Sums up Cardiff City fans in general, always divided over something and nothing will change.

The only fans who are supporting the team are the ones who don't engage on message boards :D

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:48 pm

I don't know what some of our fans expect of whitts. He is never going to be a tough tackling hardman. He makes his tackles covers the field, is not afraid to get on the ball, even when things are not going his way. He delivers some of our best crosses, can score from a dead ball situation, scores great goals and is a very reliable penalty taker.
He cost us £350,000............he has paid that back over and over.
I would like to see him finish his career with us and get a coaching job.
And I hope he is one of the first players in years to get a testimonial. :notworthy:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Whitts is our most efficient this season midfielder that is a fact. He may not run or tackle as much as Gunnar or have as much pace as Noone but he is still more of a match winner at current rate.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 pm

LonCar wrote:Whitts is our most efficient this season midfielder that is a fact. He may not run or tackle as much as Gunnar or have as much pace as Noone but he is still more of a match winner at current rate.

True, and if you speak to any other Manager in the Championship, they will tell you that the most important player to double of triple up on is Whittingham, he is viewed as out most dangerous player.

He will get special attention every game, the other players need to step up and take advantage of the extra space.

Some good points above about Gunnerson, he is not one of my favourite players but he has been brilliant this season, and Whitts plays at his best when he is in the team.....

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Bluebina wrote:
LonCar wrote:Whitts is our most efficient this season midfielder that is a fact. He may not run or tackle as much as Gunnar or have as much pace as Noone but he is still more of a match winner at current rate.

True, and if you speak to any other Manager in the Championship, they will tell you that the most important player to double of triple up on is Whittingham, he is viewed as out most dangerous player.

He will get special attention every game, the other players need to step up and take advantage of the extra space.

Some good points above about Gunnerson, he is not one of my favourite players but he has been brilliant this season, and Whitts plays at his best when he is in the team.....

Definitely agree, Gunarsson is a great and reliable player to have in any team at championship level, He would be one of the first names on my city team every week.

Apart from the season Whitts banged in 20 goals He has been hot and cold every single season it tends to be how he is as a player, and that's not a huge issue, becuase when the ball lands in the right spot for a set piece it is we are a constant threat

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Definitely agree, Gunarsson is a great and reliable player to have in any team at championship level, He would be one of the first names on my city team every week.

Apart from the season Whitts banged in 20 goals He has been hot and cold every single season it tends to be how he is as a player, and that's not a huge issue, becuase when the ball lands in the right spot for a set piece it is we are a constant threat

The fact is that he hasn't played as an AM player since the 20+ goals season except for the last three games, but the last one was without a tough tackling supporting midfielder. This was due to Gunner getting injured after 5 minutes then going off on 34 minutes.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:51 am

Imagine if he got 100 for us. :happy1: