Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" VINCENT TAN LIFTS THE LID ON HIS TIME AT CARDIFF "

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Tan: Cardiff experience makes me Doctor of Football
Cardiff owner Vincent Tan lifts the lid on his time at the club
By Eurosport

Wed 29th Oct 2024

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan claims that getting the club promoted and relegated is the equivalent to earning a PhD in football management.
But the chastening experiences of relegation, the hiring and firing of managers, fan objections to kit colour changes and upcoming court cases have only strengthened Tan's commitment to Cardiff and he plans more investment in Europe and MLS.

"Whatever it is, it's challenging. I have to turn it around and I believe given time, I can turn it around," he said of Cardiff.

"I believe that in the long term, it will work out well. I always invest in business with a long-term view. Ten years is great, 15 years is better, 20 years is much better.

"I look upon Cardiff as my PhD in football management. With Cardiff, I learnt a lot. I think I can run and manage a football club very well."

Tan, who has an estimated worth of £800 million according to Forbes magazine, took over in 2010 and led Welsh club Cardiff to the Premier League for the first time in 51 years in 2013. Their stint, though, ended after one tumultuous season with manager Malky Mackay, hugely popular with the fans, sacked in December amid accusations of overspending.

Tan said the matter was not closed.

"I happened to have a manager who I think overspent. I think he... overpaid a lot of players, paid the agents too much agent fees.

"In fact, we are going to have some court cases against several agents. There'll be some court case coming up over this."

Mackay rejects the accusations. Former Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer failed to halt the slide back to the second tier and the Norwegian was dismissed last month after they made a bad start to this season with Russell Slade taking over after a period of interim management.

The club are 11th in the table, seven points off top spot with Tan confident things are looking up and that promotion back to the Premier League is "tough but possible".

Despite his optimism, Cardiff supporters have still not warmed to the Malaysian, who has long been the subject of protests.

"I think the worst is over. What else can the fans do? They just don't support, it's not going to change a lot," said Tan, who angered fans by switching club colours from blue to red.

"Logically they should support because I kept their club alive. I got the club promoted after 51 years. "It is fun also, I enjoy watching matches. Whether Cardiff loses... it is not going to change my lifestyle. I did not borrow money to invest into Cardiff so it is all right," he said.

Tan expanded his football club portfolio by purchasing Bosnian side FK Sarajevo in December and the Malaysian said he was eyeing further opportunities.

"I am looking to buy a club in Europe," he said, adding an announcement about American Major League Soccer was due this week.

"Investing in MLS, I think it's long term. If we invest now, in 20 years it will be worth a lot."

Re: " VINCENT TAN LIFTS THE LID ON HIS TIME AT CARDIFF "

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:27 pm

"Logically they should support because I kept their club alive. I got the club promoted after 51 years. "It is fun also, I enjoy watching matches. Whether Cardiff loses... it is not going to change my lifestyle. I did not borrow money to invest into Cardiff so it is all right," he said.

Does this guy really think what he is saying?

It was Malky and the squad that got us promoted. I thought he would learn that lesson after giving the same to Ole.

This business about keeping us alive does not fool me. Tan paid off the tax man because he saw an opportunity to make money himself.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:38 pm

investing in the MLS is a shrewd call by him with more Americans getting interested in 'soccer'

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:39 pm

The budget got us promoted

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:40 pm

He said 'what more can the fans do' that's a clear indication telling us that we've lost. We either accept the red or we boycott altogether to get the blue back. We can't have a couple of thousand boycott, 10,000 fans need to. Are we going to do it or not? Someone needs to take control and get everyone together, unfortunately I'm not that man lol

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Good luck in America Vincent.
Hawaian Dragons fc.
You can play in red on the side of a volcano. Fire and Passion fruit.

Do one.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 pm

DEANO wrote:The budget got us promoted

Being clever with a budget is what gets you promoted.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Well malky was clever with the budget in the prem lol

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm

CCFC87 wrote:Well malky was clever with the budget in the prem lol

Matter of opinion.

Personally I feel he would have kept us up.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Sick of hearing about this idiot now and particularly people moaning about him. Dont pay to watch easy as hit him where it hurts ! Its no longer Cardiff City Fc Its an episode of of how to ruin a club in 3 years.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:09 pm

His head's still up his own arse then :roll:

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

He is right what else can the fans do ? Most have given up as if they are beaten. Next year I think we will loose a lot of fans. Fook Tan and fook his red I hate the tw*t.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:22 pm

the worst thing to of ever happened to the club, preferred us when we were broke and selling our best players, at least the club had a soul!

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:He is right what else can the fans do ? Most have given up as if they are beaten. Next year I think we will loose a lot of fans. Fook Tan and fook his red I hate the tw*t.

If things don't change I can see an exodus of fans.

It makes me wonder how far Tan is willing to go before he does any sort of U-turn.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 pm

RageJon wrote:Sick of hearing about this idiot now and particularly people moaning about him. Dont pay to watch easy as hit him where it hurts ! Its no longer Cardiff City Fc Its an episode of of how to ruin a club in 3 years.

IMO it's not his pocket that we need to hit, it's his pride. That will hurt him the more.
At the Leeds game Saturday, especially if he's there (if the rumours are correct) we need as much BLUE as possible, scarves, hats, flags, shirts and especially balloons and anti Tan banners.

TAN OUT!

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Penyfai Blue wrote:
RageJon wrote:Sick of hearing about this idiot now and particularly people moaning about him. Dont pay to watch easy as hit him where it hurts ! Its no longer Cardiff City Fc Its an episode of of how to ruin a club in 3 years.

IMO it's not his pocket that we need to hit, it's his pride. That will hurt him the more.
At the Leeds game Saturday, especially if he's there (if the rumours are correct) we need as much BLUE as possible, scarves, hats, flags, shirts and especially balloons and anti Tan banners.

TAN OUT!

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

If Tan is there this Saturday I can see the 19:27 being the best one this season.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:48 pm

The guy is a first class bell-end. "what else can the fans do?" - he is now taunting the fans. I don't think I have ever felt such hatred for any of our previous owners and let's be fair - we have had a fair we have had a fair few toss pots at the helm. But this prick? What an arrogant little wank stain!

I personally think it's time to raise the hostility towards him, his kit, merchandise etc - would he like us making him look a cock in his homeland? Embarrassment to Malaysia banners anyone?

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Pontypool_Bluebird wrote:He said 'what more can the fans do' that's a clear indication telling us that we've lost. We either accept the red or we boycott altogether to get the blue back. We can't have a couple of thousand boycott, 10,000 fans need to. Are we going to do it or not? Someone needs to take control and get everyone together, unfortunately I'm not that man lol

I think we could do it! But like you said, someone needs to take control! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 pm

The man doesnt know when to shut his mouth.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 pm

I've had just about enough of this man. The fact is, we're NEVER going to get our blue back under his ownership. Please someone take control and establish a boycott club. It's not as if it is impossible, I'm sure AFC Wimbledon fans would encourage us! I just desperately want our blue back. :|

Tan Out.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:11 pm

He is taking the piss out of us.

I hope his yacht gets woodworm.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Vincent Tan: running Cardiff is like doing a PhD in football management
• Cardiff City’s owner discusses troubled four-year reign
• ‘The worst [protests] are over. What else can the fans do?’
• Plans to buy another club in Europe, and one in the MLS
• Tan asks fans: give new manager Russell Slade a chance

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... management?

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 pm

As expected he doesn't give a shit except for the money.

Doesn't care if we lose.

f**k off you monumental douche.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:09 pm

I get the distinct impression that tan is trying to wind us up so we react and that would give him a way out of the disaster the club has become. He can then blame the "ungrateful" fans, therefore taking none of the blame for the complete failure of his re branding.

Well lets give him the excuse I say.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:24 pm

harold pinta wrote:I get the distinct impression that tan is trying to wind us up so we react and that would give him a way out of the disaster the club has become. He can then blame the "ungrateful" fans, therefore taking none of the blame for the complete failure of his re branding.

Exactly

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:34 pm

harold pinta wrote:I get the distinct impression that tan is trying to wind us up so we react and that would give him a way out of the disaster the club has become. He can then blame the "ungrateful" fans, therefore taking none of the blame for the complete failure of his re branding.

I read it that he was trying to get a reaction from us , I personally think he has had enough of us and wants another club instead now where fans will love him

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:The man doesnt know when to shut his mouth.

Laughable.... :lol:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:57 am

Bakedalasker wrote:

Matter of opinion.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mourinho could've won is the title with that budget, how much did Pulis have to spend at Palace?

Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:28 am

Being perfectly honest, I think the continued wearing of blue and the well-received 19:27 'protest' sends out as much of a message as is necessary :thumbup:

It's only my personal opinion, but I think Vincent Tan has been wrongly vilified on a few things that were posted as 100% FACTS on this Forum in recent times and more recent events have proved him to have been correct in most of what he has done; particularly where Malky and Moody were concerned!

The only outstanding issue people can genuinely take umbrage with is the removal of the blue (hence the 19:27 protest) and I think the OP may have simply been asking if some might be thinking it might be time to give Tan a little leeway when at the stadium or should the vocal protests continue with the vehemence with which they occurred previously? (NOTE: That is not saying Forever Blue 'thinks' that way, as he simply asked the question)

Pretty obvious from some of the responses above that some have no desire to 'move on' regardless of the reality of the situation, whilst others will see recent events as having been a little disingenuous to Vincent Tan and might just be prepared to 'back off' a little when he is in town

Either way, things won't improve whilst he is slagged off, racially abused and made to feel positively unwelcome at the club he has fed £140m+ into, so for me (blue shirt and 19:27 scarf wave apart :thumbup: ) I'll be leaving him be and concentrating on getting behind the eleven guys on the pitch in the hope of 3 points and a lift up the table off the backs of a team and supporters I have genuine disdain for. They (Leeds) deserve my ire far more than Vincent Tan does, TBH! :thumbup:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 am

BanterLad115 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Matter of opinion.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mourinho could've won is the title with that budget, how much did Pulis have to spend at Palace?

Most likely but Malky is not Mourinho or Pulis.

You might laugh but look at the money we have spent lately and look where we are. You should be laughing at Tan statement where he said Ole is a better manager than Mackey.