Matts and Javi at the DVP game last night

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Skewett » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:55 am

I went to watch the DVP game last night specifically to watch Matts and Guerra.

Matts only played half a game but he looked top notch, really fit and he basically ran the game. He dropped into centre mid in a kind of Whitts role where he took the ball from defenders and found the wide players time after time. He also appeared on the wing and ran rings round the opposition, both cutting inside and bringing an overlapping John into play. I don't get the 'he's not strong enough for the Championship' calls. He rarely gets knocked off the ball, has quick feet that stops opponents getting at him, often resulting in them fouling him. If he looses the ball he's tenacious and fit enough to chase back. Top that with great combination play with Fabio everytime they've played together on the left, he'd be in my starting line up. At least we'd start games pushing teams onto the back foot.

As for Guerra he played about 75 minutes, working hard to link up play. His touch wasn't great but then he hasnt played much competitive footy. He did get a couple of good headers in on goal and with a little more luck might have had a couple of goals.
Skewett

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Matts and Javi at the DVP game last night

Postby Skewett » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:17 am

Sorry I should have included Ben Turner's game in my summary.

In fairness Ben looked like he was really up for it. He won just about every defensive header and made more than a few typical Turner tackles. We were even 'treated' to 3/4 of his trademark left back to left wing punts (only 2 of which found touch). Most interestingly though he did look like a player who was keen to impress the new Manager. He put in a lot of effort and only really faded towards the end when he lost a bit of concentration, almost letting the opposition in on goal on a couple of ocassions.
Skewett

Postby LonCar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks for the write up, mate! :thumbright:
LonCar

Postby llan bluebird » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:12 pm

I do appreciate we all have our favourite players and sometime can’t see no wrong with them, but Fabio and matts is an attacking odyssey and a defending nightmare. It's like the Alamo when they are together.

Where do you play matts ? In the Whitts role, IMO this is the closest, but a 30 year old whitts barely does enough of the grunt stuff, an underweight 19 year old is another issue.

On the wing ahead of Nooney ? But matts doesn’t play the same role as Nooney as he is not quick enough. Pilkington defends better, and gives us a bit more height for set plays

The ALF role – OK Alf missed a sitter, but would Matts have been there and would Ravel be ahead of him in that role, then we have Guerra.

This is a 442 or it variants league. I just don’t see where his special talent fits, probably best to loan him to a premier league team where they play 4231.
llan bluebird

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Glad to see Guerra is at least getting development games
2blue2handle

Postby Skewett » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:16 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I do appreciate we all have our favourite players and sometime can’t see no wrong with them, but Fabio and matts is an attacking odyssey and a defending nightmare. It's like the Alamo when they are together.

Where do you play matts ? In the Whitts role, IMO this is the closest, but a 30 year old whitts barely does enough of the grunt stuff, an underweight 19 year old is another issue.

On the wing ahead of Nooney ? But matts doesn’t play the same role as Nooney as he is not quick enough. Pilkington defends better, and gives us a bit more height for set plays

The ALF role – OK Alf missed a sitter, but would Matts have been there and would Ravel be ahead of him in that role, then we have Guerra.

This is a 442 or it variants league. I just don’t see where his special talent fits, probably best to loan him to a premier league team where they play 4231.

I'd defo play him ahead of Noone on the least 3 showings. Noone never went past the full back once last weekend so no better that Matts in that dept just now.

Giggs couldn't cross a ball for his first two seasons at Old Trafford and Ronaldo's crap step overs went nowhere and drove everyone mad in his first year.

Sometimes you have to recognise talent and potential and get them in somewhere.

We certainly aren't that well blessed that we can loan out our better players only for Premier League teams to snap them up as a bargain, once they've showed their worth.
Skewett

Postby LonCar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:04 pm

We shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket, Whitts at 30 isn't the future of the club. Ravel is brilliant but unpredictable, may be in prison soon not to mention his contract is up in january anyway. We don't want to be in a situation where both Matts and Ravel leaves come january.
Slade needs to use his alleged man management skills on this one,that means making him feel like he has a part to play here. He can't play the same players and formation in every game all season anyway, you may be be able to get away with that in the lower leagues but its too predictable for the championship/PL.
LonCar

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:26 pm

LonCar wrote:Thanks for the write up, mate! :thumbright:

Agree. Good write up! Cheers :thumbup:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby llan bluebird » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Skewett wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:I do appreciate we all have our favourite players and sometime can’t see no wrong with them, but Fabio and matts is an attacking odyssey and a defending nightmare. It's like the Alamo when they are together.

I'd defo play him ahead of Noone on the least 3 showings. Noone never went past the full back once last weekend so no better that Matts in that dept just now.

Giggs couldn't cross a ball for his first two seasons at Old Trafford and Ronaldo's crap step overs went nowhere and drove everyone mad in his first year.

Sometimes you have to recognise talent and potential and get them in somewhere.

We certainly aren't that well blessed that we can loan out our better players only for Premier League teams to snap them up as a bargain, once they've showed their worth.

Brave on here that comment about nooney- almost immune from criticism, although I agree with you. I also worry that when Digachoi returns from his four months of jenny craig he won't fit into a 442 either.
llan bluebird

Postby Skewett » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Brave on here that comment about nooney- almost immune from criticism, although I agree with you. I also worry that when Digachoi returns from his four months of jenny craig he won't fit into a 442 either.[/quote]

Lol

I don't think he'll fit into a size 10 either.
Skewett

Postby ScimitarConstructionLTD » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Watch highlights of the PL Cup match against Gillingham last night on the clubs official YouTube channel.

http://youtu.be/6mFHXU0b7ys

Highlights are also available on Player.

Roxy
(Scimitar Construction - Proud Academy Sponsors)
ScimitarConstructionLTD

Postby Igovernor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Glad to see Guerra is at least getting development games

Yes but was Mr Slade watching Javi and all the game or was he somewhere else chin wagging to a few select fans?
Igovernor

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 pm

I would have Matt in my first 11 every week :thumbright: :thumbright:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby llan bluebird » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I would have Matt in my first 11 every week :thumbright: :thumbright:

Where ?
llan bluebird

Postby Northern Light » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Mats have said to norwegian media that he will take up the fight to prove himself worthy a place in the team under the new manager. But it is also a fact that if this consists, with little or none first team football, he will be pressured by the norwegian national coach to find himself a new club. If not, he will probably be left out of the national team.

He is only 19. It is natural that he will both have good games and not so good games. I think the best place for him to play in Cardiff is on the left wing. It is not critical that he plays every game 90 minutes, but if Slade only leaves him to the DVP-team then it is certain that he will leave the club in January.

When Mats playing, maybe it is a good idea to tell Fabio to just relax a little bit with super offensive runs? They are humans after all, they surley understand an easy message: -Fabio, today Mats is playing left midfield, please behave yourself so that we dont leave our left side wide open.

Im very sure that Fabio will understand that.
Northern Light

Postby Barry Chuckle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Northern Light wrote:Mats have said to norwegian media that he will take up the fight to prove himself worthy a place in the team under the new manager. But it is also a fact that if this consists, with little or none first team football, he will be pressured by the norwegian national coach to find himself a new club. If not, he will probably be left out of the national team.

He is only 19. It is natural that he will both have good games and not so good games. I think the best place for him to play in Cardiff is on the left wing. It is not critical that he plays every game 90 minutes, but if Slade only leaves him to the DVP-team then it is certain that he will leave the club in January.

When Mats playing, maybe it is a good idea to tell Fabio to just relax a little bit with super offensive runs? They are humans after all, they surley understand an easy message: -Fabio, today Mats is playing left midfield, please behave yourself so that we dont leave our left side wide open.

He needs to perform then. He has been poor on the wing all season.
Barry Chuckle

Postby Dve » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Northern Light wrote:Mats have said to norwegian media that he will take up the fight to prove himself worthy a place in the team under the new manager. But it is also a fact that if this consists, with little or none first team football, he will be pressured by the norwegian national coach to find himself a new club. If not, he will probably be left out of the national team.

He needs to perform then. He has been poor on the wing all season.

Yet voted man of the match twice...
Dve

Postby Skewett » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:27 pm

He's not been poor at all. It's only the Noone lovers on here that claim he has.

Cardiff look their most dynamic going forward with Matts and Fabio on the left.

It's about time we started on the front foot to get a decent hold on the game and force our opponents back. Thats what these two have done consistently every time they've played together.
Skewett

Postby bluemun » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:53 pm

I believe his best role is playing in the hole in a 4-4-1-1 formation. He was brilliant v. Norwich in the first half, given that free role and would be even better with a more mobile striker than Kenwyne up front. I only hope Noddy isn't obsessed with 4-4-2 like DJ was.
bluemun

Return to General Chat