Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Birmingham appoint new manager '

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Birmingham City is delighted to announce the appointment of Gary Rowett as the club’s new manager.

The 40-year-old, familiar to Blues fans having amassed over 100 appearances during a two-year spell at St. Andrew’s between 1998 and 2000, arrives with an excellent reputation following a successful managerial spell at Burton Albion.

In his first season in charge, Rowett guided the Brewers to within two points of automatic promotion in 2012/13 before again taking the club to the Sky Bet League Two play-offs last season, only to narrowly lose the final 1-0 to Fleetwood Town at Wembley.

The former defender, who has also previously worked with the England Under-16 squad, will be ably supported by a team of backroom staff who are also familiar with St. Andrew’s.

Kevin Summerfield arrives as assistant manager, Mark Sale will take up the role of first-team coach and Kevin Poole will join as goalkeeping coach. All three are former Blues players.

Elsewhere, Darren Robinson will take up the post of head of performance.

Rowett was the outstanding candidate during a thorough recruitment process over the past seven days.

Club Director, Panos Pavlakis, commented: “I’d like to formally welcome Gary ahead of the start of a new era for Birmingham City Football Club and I trust all supporters will join me in giving their full backing to our new manager and his backroom staff.

“The Board fully understands supporters’ frustrations during what has recently been a very difficult period for the football club. As a result, the Board will endeavour to improve communication with our loyal supporters moving forward.”

A full, exclusive interview with the new manager will follow in due course.

Re: Birmingham appoint new manager

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:32 pm

what happened to king malky i thought he was the fav for the job pmsl :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Re: Birmingham appoint new manager

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Kevin Summerfield follows Gary Rowett to Birmingham City
By Plymouth Herald | Posted: October
PLYMOUTH Argyle will take on a Burton Albion side minus Gary Rowett and Kevin Summerfield on Saturday following their departure to Birmingham City.

The 40-year-old former Blues defender and former Argyle player and assistant manager Summerfield made the move from League Two to the Championship on Monday alongside Mark Sale and Kevin Poole.

They take over from Lee Clark, who was sacked following a poor sequence of results at St Andrew's, where the Blues had only won once in more than 12 months.

The quartet face a big job at Birmingham, who are in the relegation zone of the second tier of English football, and who were thumped 8-0 at St Andrew's by Bournemouth last weekend.

Head of academy Mike Whitlow will take control of Burton Albion first team affairs assisted by players Ian Sharps and Lee Bell, with their first test being against an in-form Argyle on Saturday.

Rowett initially took over at Burton on a caretaker basis in March 2012, and was appointed permanently in May 2012.

He helped the club achieve two consecutive League Two play-offs, reaching the final at Wembley last season.

The club have made a good start again this year and currently sit third place in the league, just two points ahead of Argyle.

Rowett's last game in charge of Burton was on Saturday when they lost 1-0 away to Stevenage courtesy of a late own goal from Sharps.

Summerfield will be Birmingham's new assistant boss.

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Summerf ... z3HOD54AyJ

Re: ' Birmingham appoint new manager '

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:29 pm

We're looking for a new manager as well come Saturday at 4.45.

We've had it and will be relegated. I've given up caring, it's not my money.

Re: ' Birmingham appoint new manager '

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 pm

It did not take Lee Clark long to find a job -

Clark has take charge at Bloomfield Road just 10 days after fellow Championship strugglers Birmingham parted company with him following two seasons at St Andrew's.

His brief hiatus from the game was swiftly ended by the only club below Blues in the table, as Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston opted to bring Clark on board after the sacking of Jose Riga on Monday.

Clark, 42, said: "I'm just pleased to be back in the game and back in a management position in the Championship with a club that not too long ago was living the dream in the Premier League.

"Can we bring those good times back to the club? That has to be started with the club stabilising and staying in the Championship and then we can push on from there again. Why not? The club's done it in the past - why can't it do it in the future?"

Former Huddersfield boss Clark also insists the thought of taking a lengthy break away from football after his time at Birmingham never came into his mind.

He added: "I love the game. The longest I've been out was my time between Huddersfield and Birmingham, which was three-and-a-half, four months.

"It's what I know, what I love, I enjoy this job and I'm determined to give everything I can by working night and day to help us achieve our primary goal and our short-term objective which is to stay in the Championship."