Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

So why did City not win against a less talented Millwall tea

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Cardiff City boss Russell Slade must make players believe Premier League dream is possible: Nathan Blake view

Nathan Blake " Cardiff are much more talented than Millwall,so why did they not win? "

Monday Oct 27, 2014

Cardiff City legend Nathan Blake says it's Russell Slade's job to get belief into his players, despite defeat at Millwall.

The next big job for new Cardiff City boss Russell Slade is now to try to get into the heads of his players.

The defeat at Millwall was disappointing of course especially coming off the back of the two wins in Slade’s first two games, but it might have gone either way at the New Den.

If Adam Le Fondre had scored in the first-half I think we might have had a different game on our hands, but he didn’t and Millwall went on to take their chance and take the points.

Personally when it came to the performance I don’t think there was too much wrong with the way Slade set out his team tactically and there are, as he said afterwards, often fine margins that decide these games.

But let’s be honest here, individually and as a collective, the Bluebirds are much more talented than the Lions. So why didn’t they win?

It’s as I say, for me the problem is very much mental with Cardiff right now. A Championship season is a grind, a long, tough grind and it’s a mental battle as much as it is a physical one.

I know how tough it can be. People always go onto me about being relegated from the Premier League, what they tend to forget is that I also earned promotion back up so I know the situation the Bluebirds find themselves now very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: So why did City not win against a less talented Millwall

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:50 pm

So Blake approves of the long ball game then

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:10 pm

City lost the game because they thought they just had to turn up to win. That was the impression I got from watching.

They would have as well had they had a striker who could score.

The manager needs to sort (i) the away mentality out asap, and (ii) loan in a goalscorer unless he's going to give Guerra a chance.

Le Fondre has been a total waste of money. Maynard is next to hopeless. Macheda is nearly as bad. Rhys Healey would have done a better job than them 3, or Mason.

They won't get anything at Bolton who have found a head of steam at home under Lennon, plus Birmingham won't be easy pray when their new manager is in place.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 pm

They lost because;

They missed some easy chances...

Because Marshall made a mistake and was fouled....

The biggest problem though is because, they had seen what Whitts had done last two games and stopped him playing this game, but putting two or three players on him when he had the ball, the others failed to capitalise on the extra space, and didn't step up to the plate.

Could be a problem going forward, as every team will do the same and foul Whitts to stop him, stop Whitts, stop Cardiff, can Slade come up with a plan B ???????

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm

So why did City not win against a less talented Millwall tea

They might have had PG Tips ;)

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:35 pm

.....because these things happen in football.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:52 am

At the risk of repeating myself Annis, I totally agree that one of the main problems to overcome is psychological doubt.

i genuinely think more use could be made of sports psychologists to give the individuals a set way of approaching away fixtures in particular.

Millwall were canny and spoiled a lot of the game going forward because they'd done their homework. Even Marshall was uncomfortable, yet he faced the best PL strikers last year and didn't get phased by it.

I expected more fire to be honest against old adversaries. Leeds would be the same for me, so I hope they get some hunger back.

On a more positive note, 6 points from 9 is very descent. :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:03 am

Gunnarsson going off changed the game, Rall's was chasing the midfield rather than dictating like Gunnarsson and Whitts do together.

People are over reacting over this defeat and forget there was a first half where I thought we finally dominated and deserved to be ahead.

People make out we were bad from start to finish.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Good game from a natural point of view. Adam le Fondre should have put the game to bed in the first half. Trying a lob from that distance? No chance, if he had smashed it low it would of gone in.

His second chance when they say it was a double save? No it wasn't, le Fondre shot straight at the keeper, if he had placed it, left or right it would of been in. You dropped 2 points because of poor finishing in the first half.

Great day apart from losing my phone and £30 pounds.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Why did Manchester City lose to West Ham :? No doubt who has the more talented squad there.

The answer is "Football" simple as that.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:03 pm

castleblue wrote:Why did Manchester City lose to West Ham :? No doubt who has the more talented squad there.

The answer is "Football" simple as that.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

this same as when we beat Man City these things happen in football that's why we all love it