Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is Slade tactically good?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:44 pm

From the start hoofing long balls to Macheda and Le fondre which were gobbled up by Beevers and Shittu..yet it was still happening all game...

Whitts was back to his ineffective best... his free kicks and corners were appalling..he didn t look up for it today.

We played against a five man midfield who bullied us and wanted it more than we did..they pushed back our wingers.

3rd game in a week we looked jaded and perhaps a couple of changes were needed.

Ralls is not good enough... and Maynard has lost it since his injury... need a good striker in there in January and a good boss in midfield. just my opinion

Oh and the ref was crap

Re: Is Slade tactically good?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 pm

kimble wrote:From the start hoofing long balls to Macheda and Le fondre which were gobbled up by Beevers and Shittu..yet it was still happening all game...

Whitts was back to his ineffective best... his free kicks and corners were appalling..he didn t look up for it today.

We played against a five man midfield who bullied us and wanted it more than we did..they pushed back our wingers.

Ralls is not good enough... and Maynard has lost it since his injury... need a good striker in there in January and a good boss in midfield. just my opinion

Oh and the ref was crap

Agree with everything you say.

Whitts was too deep again. Incapable of beating the first man with any free kick.

Every Championship team was playing a third game in a week - we'd won both of our previous games, Millwall had drawn both of theirs. Why were they more up for it than we were?

Ralls was part of a team that got relegated from the Championship last season - as you say, not good enough.

Dare we say that Slade has been found out somewhat today?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 pm

davids wrote:
kimble wrote:From the start hoofing long balls to Macheda and Le fondre which were gobbled up by Beevers and Shittu..yet it was still happening all game...

Oh and the ref was crap

Agree with everything you say.

Whitts was too deep again. Incapable of beating the first man with any free kick.

Every Championship team was playing a third game in a week - we'd won both of our previous games, Millwall had drawn both of theirs. Why were they more up for it than we were?

Ralls was part of a team that got relegated from the Championship last season - as you say, not good enough.

Dare we say that Slade has been found out somewhat today?

Think it was more case of Ollie being clever in second half? He changed tactics which we had no answer to! Either that or we didn't have options on bench! we were just not up to it 2nd half is more likely. :thumbup:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:33 pm

We lost a football match so did derby at home and forest! Get over it

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Stringfellow wrote:We lost a football match so did derby at home and forest! Get over it

For someone who has not posted on here for a while you seem to be giving it the big one.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Yes you could say that! Maybe months and months of frustration! I understand devided opinions but some of the posts are bordering on insane don't you agree?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Yes you could say that! Maybe months and months of frustration! I understand devided opinions but some of the posts are bordering on insane don't you agree?

Spot on. :thumbright:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Come on, I get some want to start a thread but questioning the tactics after losing one game? So was he a master against forest and Ipswich?? Probably not, he just went back to basics and work ethic and the quality came through! He is still finding out what works and what doesn't! And who fits in and who doesn't! 6 pts from 9? Two weeks ago we would have jumped at that!

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am

I asked the question ...if you watched that game did you think the hoofball ..was good against two beasts.. did you think whitts was effective.. I thought 4 4 2 against a five man midfield was ineffective ...didn t you think we were bullied out of it...

As I said... it was my opinion for which I am entitled ..if you are frustrated with people posting things that are not agreeable to you.. then perhaps you should try another site...Or should we all bow before you as the font of all knowledge..

Get over it

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:28 am

kimble wrote:I asked the question ...if you watched that game did you think the hoofball ..was good against two beasts.. did you think whitts was effective.. I thought 4 4 2 against a five man midfield was ineffective ...didn t you think we were bullied out of it...

As I said... it was my opinion for which I am entitled ..if you are frustrated with people posting things that are not agreeable to you.. then perhaps you should try another site...Or should we all bow before you as the font of all knowledge..

Get over it

Indeed respecting opinions is difficult for some people.

I thought we played like a bunch of poofs. I see a number of posters are mentioning the Forest game. Well everyone is beating Forest at the moment so to me that win was no great deal.

Some are glorifying Whittingham before the game because of the 2 goals he has scored lately. Well Whittinghams huge problem is he is inconsistent and is the reason none of the big clubs have come in for him. It is great when he finally does something good but lets be honest most of the time he is frustrating.

Well that's my opinion on those 2 matters.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Well his subs are a bit off so far. Noone on left back cost us a goal and Ralls as a holding midfielder next to Whitts was a disaster waiting to happen.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:31 pm

We lost the battle in the centre 3 vs 2 again.

Gunnar and Whitts were holding there own, but as soon as we had Whitts and ralls against 3 we lost the battle. We know Whitts needs someone next to him to do the heavy lifting and obviously we found out again that ralls isn't the man.

I am not sure what our armchair tactical genius's with the benefit of hindsight would have done differently. The natural replacement for gunnar is injured and I don't see Digachoi as a replacement for Gunnar, I doubt he will travel beyond the half way line that much, and that leads us to what Ole wanted to do with a defensive midfielder.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:16 pm

For me I said a change was needed for two reasons to freshen thins up a little and to counter the fact that a 4-4-2 flat is just ineffective against a 5 man midfield of the opposition too much space between attack and midfield and always a man down tracking back

We should have played 4-5-1 to even things up for me or ravel just in behind the striker

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
kimble wrote:I asked the question ...if you watched that game did you think the hoofball ..was good against two beasts.. did you think whitts was effective.. I thought 4 4 2 against a five man midfield was ineffective ...didn t you think we were bullied out of it...

Get over it

Indeed respecting opinions is difficult for some people.

I thought we played like a bunch of poofs. I see a number of posters are mentioning the Forest game. Well everyone is beating Forest at the moment so to me that win was no great deal.

Some are glorifying Whittingham before the game because of the 2 goals he has scored lately. Well Whittinghams huge problem is he is inconsistent and is the reason none of the big clubs have come in for him. It is great when he finally does something good but lets be honest most of the time he is frustrating.

Well that's my opinion on those 2 matters.

The captain in the in the interview room said their tactic was to stop Whitts, as he had scored in the last two games after being pushed further forward. All teams will do exactly the same now, will Slade be able to change things, if Whitts is stopped ???

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Kimble - I questioned the post Title, having read it again Soba I have to agree with you! Take that one back, good post! My frustration was questioning slade tactically after one defeat, it's true in hindsight it's easy for us to criticise these decisions made by management yet when he stuck with Gunnar and whitts for forest and Ipswich and made some brave decisions he wasn't deemed a master tactitian and nor should he be! he won't get them all right, very few do!

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:23 pm

LonCar wrote:Well his subs are a bit off so far. Noone on left back cost us a goal and Ralls as a holding midfielder next to Whitts was a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree, but at the moment we have too many injuries.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:35 pm

LonCar wrote:Well his subs are a bit off so far. Noone on left back cost us a goal and Ralls as a holding midfielder next to Whitts was a disaster waiting to happen.

What other options did he have with those subs? Considering they were forced on by injury and were light in the middle

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 am

Cardiffcitymad wrote:

I agree, but at the moment we have too many injuries.

Agree to some extent but I wonder if he could have chosen to put a different player on the bench. Just seems like whenever seomeone gets injured he plays Ralls, surely there are other midfielders? Burgstaller? Eikrem?
Ralls is talented but he isn't a DCM or a left back, play him and Whitts together in central midfield and you risk becoming very predictable and lightweight. Both are left footed, slow, doesnt really get stuck in, Too similar.
Its a bit like when he replaced Lefondre with Maynard if one player didn't work why put such a similar player on? Why not have Guerra or Jones on the bench so you can mix it up? I am just seeing signs of someone who is quite rigid and maybe is used to not changing formation/ players much because you can get away with it in League 1 and 2. But I might be wrong. I hope so! :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks Stringfellow....... I myself am just frustrated to hell at the moment with the inconsistencies in this supposedly
best squad ever.

I think Ole was tactically naïve in the way he built this squad..the balance hasn t been right... the only leaders we had in the team Medel and Hudson have gone ...I don't see or hear any talkers out there on the pitch,, Manga doesn t speak the lingo

I feel for Slade in the squad he has...I don't think Macheda and Le Fondre will be the answer up front for a side seeking promotion... Jones should be eating it up in this division. and Maynard is now not the player he was. Slade I think has to work with what he has got til January.

My only concern then is the quality of player he brings in... will he have the nous to get in what we need.. Time will tell I suppose.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Adeyemi and Dikgacoi should have been the back-ups in the midfield. When Slade decides to compose a bench with double back-ups for the center backs (Connolly and Gabbidon), but no back-up for the central midfield, it for the first tells me that Eikrem won´t ever be seen in a Cardiff shirt again. He doesn´t even play for the development team. I wonder what wrong he has done.

Le Fondre said that Slade is all about keeping things simple. This could be good for achieving quick improvements, but does this mean that he is also less ambitious on behalf of his players? I´m starying to take a liking of Slade as a person, but are we becoming a bit one-dimensional? 4-4-2 home and away. The same 11 players starting every game.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:46 pm

He did ok against Mick McCarthy and Stuart Pearce! Thought that McCarthy, in particular, might have been too clever for him, but not so.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Kimble bang on again with all that, quietest team I ever seen and balance and leaders are a key element to any team! Am not sure if slade believes le fondre and macheda are front two all season, he has to start somewhere! I honestly believe macheda can do well, he was clearly unfit and still not fit but I think he will play a big part.