' MAKE THEM EAT THEIR WORDS '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby carlccfc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 am

Saturday October 25th 2014

Walesonline

Cardiff City boss Russell Slade challenges Bluebirds to make critics 'eat their hats'

Slade has had an immediate impact after describing Cardiff City as a ship without a rudder when he took the helm

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Russell Slade has challenged Cardiff City’s players to answer his critics, saying: “Maybe one or two of them will eat their hats at the end of this season.”

The appointment of Orient manager Slade as the man to take charge of the Bluebirds after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s departure was greeted by dismay among many fans, but the former PE teacher has already won over hearts and minds.

Successive wins against Nottingham Forest and Ipswich have lifted City closer to the leading group and now they head to Millwall looking for another Championship victory.

Slade insists he doesn’t worry about critics and says: “There are always sceptical fans, who are entitled to their opinion.

“Personally, I haven’t taken too much notice, You can’t look over your shoulder. We must look forward and believe in what we are doing. I know what I want from my players and will let the team do the talking for me.

“Maybe one or two of the critics will eat their hats at the end of this season.

“It’s also true that it can be difficult to bring necessary success if we don’t have everybody pulling in the same direction. That does include the fans.”

Slade’s Bluebirds have four matches before the November international break and three of those are away, starting at Millwall. They then face Leeds at Cardiff City Stadium next Saturday before trips to Bolton and Birmingham.

Millwall at the new Den is the first of those tests and Slade says: “It’s always difficult at Millwall and they have a good manager in Ian Holloway, who is a real character and a top man.

“You never quite know how they will set up. Ian changes things quite frequently, even during matches. Our aim will be to stay strong and concentrate throughout.

“I have seen a rise in confidence, greater togetherness. Those factors are growing by the week. Strong team performances only enhance that.

“We go to Millwall with a positive frame of mind. Tactics need to change occasionally to deal with what the opposition are throwing at you, but we will set up to try and win.”

Slade is slowly piloting his Bluebirds’ vessel in the right direction after describing the club as ‘like a ship without a rudder’ when he joined.

“The club was maybe like a ship without a rudder, floating but lacking guidance and direction,” he said. “Cardiff is such a great club and I am trying to provide those factors. We are starting to get that, and when footballers have that guidance they quite like it.”

Slade said the confidence supplied by two successive wins had been felt in the Cardiff dressing room, which had become a livelier place.

'Noisy group'

“The whole bunch were quiet when I first arrived but now they are starting to express themselves off the pitch more,” he said.

“I like a noisy group, players who communicate with each other.

“We spend so much time together it’s like a family and it is important to have a strong relationship. At times, of course, you fall out just like a family, but as long as you get back together that’s fine.

“I have seen a rise in confidence, greater togetherness. Those factors are growing by the week. Strong team performances only enhance that.

City look likely to be unchanged for today’s clash, which will be shown live on Sky Sports, and Slade admits the way his Bluebirds battled back against Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich in midweek puts his side in good heart for walking into the Lions’ Den today.

One potential conundrum facing Slade is the bumper Bluebirds squad at his disposal and the trimming needed in the January transfer window.

“We have quite a few players and that could cause a dilemma, but I know where I am going with this group. I don’t see loads of changes to the team, that’s for sure,” Slade said.

“Kenwyne Jones still has problems with a foot and the game at Millwall may come too quickly. I would rate him at 50-50, but we’ll see.

“There has been a setback for Kagisho Dikgacoi, who played for our development team in midweek and picked up an injury.

“Ben Turner played in that match, but he is not quite where we need him yet. That was his first full 90 minutes during the game at Crewe. He is, though, really close to being available.

“We have a large squad, a strong squad. We are limited in what can be done other than in the loan market and January will be a busy period for us. Having so many players can be difficult, but the group are growing stronger.

“Those not on my boat travelling in the same direction will find they won’t have too many friends and will have to find their own way.”

Slade’s protracted departure from Orient meant Cardiff’s manager-in-waiting could do no more than have a watching brief from the stands as Bluebirds legends Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon took temporary charge.

When his appointment was finally rubber-stamped, it coincided with the international break.

Four elements

“I am feeling benefit of that now,” admits Slade. “At the time it was probably one of the most frustrating weeks I’ve had in football, but now I am seeing the benefit of that time when I could work with the players here at a time when we didn’t have matches.

“We worked on four main elements – and they are up on my wall. We looked at where we needed to improve. Our targets were back to basics, work ethic, accountability and post-match analysis.

“I didn’t think there was enough of that going on, talking about where we need to improve. For instance, I don’t like turning over the ball and we have looked at that in depth.”

A victory at Millwall today would put Cardiff level on points with Norwich, Forest and Charlton in the play-off picture, albeit potentially just for a couple of hours with their early kick-off.

Slade, though, admits despite his dream start to life in South Wales he’s barely taken a glance at the Championship table since his arrival into the second tier of the English game.

“I haven’t looked at the table apart from one brief glance,” he added.

“Certainly, I have not taken much note of it. I am concentrating on one game at a time and trying to build momentum.

“Everything else will take care of itself.

“We are not looking at the end scenario because we are simply building bricks.

“There will be setbacks, obstacles and challenges as there are with all successful teams We will have to respond to those along the way.

“As long as we have an improving curve we will get to where we need to be.”

Two players to rise to the challenge under Slade have been summer arrivals Federico Macheda and centre-back Bruno Manga.

Former Manchester United striker Macheda netted in the wins over Ipswich and Forest, while Gabon international Manga has been the bedrock of a solid defensive effort from the Bluebirds under Slade’s watch.

Of Macheda, Slade admitted: “He certainly needed a bucketload of self-belief and confidence. We gave him that.

“He was with us during the international break and that helped him.

“He looks me straight in the eye when we talk and he is enjoying his football.

“Kiko has always had a little bit of pace. I have talked to a few of his former managers and they told me he has always been a good finisher.

“That’s a good starting point and he has scored two in two.”

Manga masterclass

And looking back down the pitch to Manga, he added: “I sat Bruno down before the first game and gave him a personal 10 minute briefing. Callum Davies [club player liaison] speaks French and sat in to interpret for us.

“I wondered as we finished whether he had understood everything and knows what he has to do?

“But his performance showed he had a grasp on everything I asked of him.

“He will become a better player as his English improves. He will progress.

“Bruno’s performance in the Forest game after getting back from Africa late the day before was remarkable.

“A wonderful thing about Bruno is that he is playing against opponents he doesn’t know.

“Different challenges are thrown at him every week. It can take players time to settle, but he has taken to the Championship like a duck to water.”
NEATH BLUES

My Daughter was the first ever mascot at Cardiff City Stadium --->
carlccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' MAKE THEM EAT THEIR WORDS '

Postby davids » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:00 pm

Any more performances like today and those words and hats will remain uneaten.
davids

Re: ' MAKE THEM EAT THEIR WORDS '

Postby Dve » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:58 pm

My only worry about Slade, is that he might turn out to be a bit one dimensional. A flat 4-4-2 home and away, with the same 11 players starting every time. Ole probable went too far with his changes, but I´m not sure the answer is to do everything just opposite.
Dve

Return to General Chat