Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WHAT DID I DO WRONG ? '

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Friday October 24th 2014

Daily Express

What did I do wrong Malky? John Brayford questions Mackay's selection policy at Cardiff

Mackay signed full-back Brayford from Derby after leading Cardiff to the Championship title.

The 26-year-old was eagerly-anticipating the chance to face the likes of Sergio Aguero, Wayne Rooney and Eden Hazard.

But Mackay moved to bring in Kevin Theophile-Catherine from Rennes just as the transfer window closed and Brayford ended up not seeing a single minute of Premier League action and was sent out on loan to Sheffield United.

Brayford admits he remains irked that Mackay never explained to him why he was not playing, or what he needed to do to be selected.

He said: "He never explained things to me. That is probably the most disappointing aspect of the whole thing.

"I never came in and moaned at him or kicked up a fuss. Even if I was told to go and train with the kids I would still make my way in and do my work.

"But he never told me why. He never spoke to me face to face about why I was not in the side."

Brayford was eventually given his Cardiff chance at the start of the season by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, and has retained his place under new manager Russell Slade whose side visit Millwall in a lunchtime kick off today.

He admits he is now much happier in the Welsh capital.

Brayford said: "Russell has been great and I had a good relationship with Ole too. Since he has come in the gaffer has been really good with the lads.

"He knows the game, he has been in the game a long time, he knows what the lads want and he communicates well with us.

"Things are really firing, hopefully we can progress well and do well for him and the club."

Re: ' WHAT DID I DO WRONG ? '

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Things are on the up with Slade in charge. :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Dear Mr Brayford. You are an excellent championship player, importand piece to the team and a committed team player. But you don't belong up with the likes of Aguero, Rooney or any other top premier attacking player. Your defensive attributes will fall short every time that callibre makes a challenge. Malky was 100% right to let you play at your level and go for a more defensive unit in the premiership. Make the best of what you got now, the future, and look toward developing! You still can't hit a cross, however many brilliant runs you make forward, even in the champ. Let the past be the past, and make the best of what you have now, build for the future :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Appalling management by Malky. For all the talk of professionalism, dossiers etc, Malky just seems to be an arrogant bully who believed in his own hype. I've always wondered why brayford was bought then ignored, but if the player himself doesn't know then I guess we'll have to wait for Malkys inevitable book one day. Not that I'll buy it and I'm glad he's no longer part of Cardiff City FC.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:06 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Dear Mr Brayford. You are an excellent championship player, importand piece to the team and a committed team player. But you don't belong up with the likes of Aguero, Rooney or any other top premier attacking player. Your defensive attributes will fall short every time that callibre makes a challenge. Malky was 100% right to let you play at your level and go for a more defensive unit in the premiership. Make the best of what you got now, the future, and look toward developing! You still can't hit a cross, however many brilliant runs you make forward, even in the champ. Let the past be the past, and make the best of what you have now, build for the future :ayatollah:

last season our fullbacks under malky were an 18 year old winger and French kev, I wouldn't have either over Brayford either offensively or defensively and so he has every right to complain. He destroyed league one and we sat here wondering what the hell was going on.....obviously it seems john was just as mystified and we will only be able to ponder into the deluded mind of Malky Makay.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Dear Mr Brayford,Its plain to see that you are a top bloke and a top footballer and a 100%er,you kept your dignity when things did'nt work out for you under Milky,i was over the moon that you stuck with us knowing that Cloughy desperately wanted you back at the blades where you felt more wanted,keep up the good work here's hoping you will become a City legend , 'RESPECT' to you mate :thumbup: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 pm

BanterLad115 wrote:
Scandinavianbluebird wrote:Dear Mr Brayford. You are an excellent championship player, importand piece to the team and a committed team player. But you don't belong up with the likes of Aguero, Rooney or any other top premier attacking player. Your defensive attributes will fall short every time that callibre makes a challenge. Malky was 100% right to let you play at your level and go for a more defensive unit in the premiership. Make the best of what you got now, the future, and look toward developing! You still can't hit a cross, however many brilliant runs you make forward, even in the champ. Let the past be the past, and make the best of what you have now, build for the future :ayatollah:

last season our fullbacks under malky were an 18 year old winger and French kev, I wouldn't have either over Brayford either offensively or defensively and so he has every right to complain. He destroyed league one and we sat here wondering what the hell was going on.....obviously it seems john was just as mystified and we will only be able to ponder into the deluded mind of Malky Makay.

No they where not. They where a brute French reputation and an experienced player in Taylor. With. super Kev and a young talent as back up. Destroyed league one? Quite a bit of a jump there to premiership!? Sorry mate, I'm with Malky on this one..

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
BanterLad115 wrote:

No they where not. They where a brute French reputation and an experienced player in Taylor. With. super Kev and a young talent as back up. Destroyed league one? Quite a bit of a jump there to premiership!? Sorry mate, I'm with Malky on this one..

You've missed the point though. What Brayford wanted is communication from Malky, to understand why he wasn't even picked for the bench. After all, we paid over £2m for him so why would we do that if malky didn't intend to play him?

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
BanterLad115 wrote:

You've missed the point though. What Brayford wanted is communication from Malky, to understand why he wasn't even picked for the bench. After all, we paid over £2m for him so why would we do that if malky didn't intend to play him?

I don't think so. I think i got the point exactly right. He should have communicated, no doubt about that. But the player was assessed from playing lower league. We all know Malkys talent was not signing the right players, but he made the right call on letting young Brayford develop in his own level. No way is he the right right back in a 4-5-1, no freaking way! He would get murdered in the premiership..

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:31 pm

Irrespective of whether you are pro or anti Tan, he can't have been happy laying out £2m for a player who never played. You would have at least expected him to come on a couple of times as a sub to show what he could or could not do.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
BanterLad115 wrote:

I don't think so. I think i got the point exactly right. He should have communicated, no doubt about that. But the player was assessed from playing lower league. We all know Malkys talent was not signing the right players, but he made the right call on letting young Brayford develop in his own level. No way is he the right right back in a 4-5-1, no freaking way! He would get murdered in the premiership..

The title of the thread is brayford asking what he did wrong as Malky never had the decency to explain his treatment toward him. if Malky thought, like you, that he would be murdered then he should have told him and helped him to improve. Why sign him and not even give him a chance? Would he have been any worse than theophile-Catherine or super Kev, or Taylor / john at PL level? I very much doubt it, but then that's not the point. He just wanted Malky to tell him why.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
BanterLad115 wrote:

The title of the thread is brayford asking what he did wrong as Malky never had the decency to explain his treatment toward him. if Malky thought, like you, that he would be murdered then he should have told him and helped him to improve. Why sign him and not even give him a chance? Would he have been any worse than theophile-Catherine or super Kev, or Taylor / john at PL level? I very much doubt it, but then that's not the point. He just wanted Malky to tell him why.

Like i said... He should have told him..

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Griff wrote:Irrespective of whether you are pro or anti Tan, he can't have been happy laying out £2m for a player who never played. You would have at least expected him to come on a couple of times as a sub to show what he could or could not do.

Exactly. But then we were so good at the back last year he couldn't have hoped to get in :lol:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Griff wrote:Irrespective of whether you are pro or anti Tan, he can't have been happy laying out £2m for a player who never played. You would have at least expected him to come on a couple of times as a sub to show what he could or could not do.

Exactly. But then we were so good at the back last year he couldn't have hoped to get in :lol:

Pre season and the first 4 games? Not a chance! Glad he developed into a good player for us this season though. Now he just needs to get them crosses right, and he will be class.. :bluescarf:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:35 am

BanterLad115 wrote:

Taylor was never as good or as experienced as Brayford which is why he never won any awards and why he's no longer with us, McNaughton is good but covers nowhere near the same amount of ground and is also now on loan while brayford is here. If we compare him with Fabio then he has made not even close to the same number of errors and does need to work on his crossing but that's a luxury,

in my honest opinion he has the greatest athleticism in our squad of the last two years, perhaps rivalled by Noone. There is no logical or footballing reason why he couldn't have been given a chance in the prem by a manager who seems to have been unable to separate random and misguided personal feelings from his job whilst wasting a lot of money that wasn't his in the process.

I'm delighted that we've rectified things with Brayford, it would have been difficult to find another fullback of his calibre for making another push on the premier league.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am

Carpe Diem wrote:

Pre season and the first 4 games? Not a chance! Glad he developed into a good player for us this season though. Now he just needs to get them crosses right, and he will be class.. :bluescarf:

Wow 4 games :lol: What about the other 34 plus cup games?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am

After Acorn the Brayford situation is next in the question list.

Personally I believe Brayford would have been fine in the premier. As far as I was concerned he had outgrown the championship and was ready for the top league. Of course I did not see him on the training pitch so can only go on what I do see. What I am seeing now is a consistent full back who will have restored his confidence for a crack at the premier if we get there.

Brayford is a question to be asked at Malky for the future confrontations.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:07 am

It was a very strange situation with Brayford, to sign him and never play him. Especially when we struggled so badly at fullback.

Very strange, certainly done very well for us and if we went up I'd hope he would be given a good chance.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am

My mate is a Derby County man - Brayford was their player of the season before he signed for City, and considered to be the best RB in the division.

Then and now he was and still is a better RB then Super Kev or French Kev or Connolly.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:39 am

Sheffield United fans loved Brayford :thumbright:

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 am

This shows that Malky could be a complete arse.

A senior player not even getting a one to one conversation with the manager, nothing short of disgusting to be perfectly honest.

Malky has been keen on this player for ages and he gets his man and bam never gives him a chance.