Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Yorkshire teams etc (V scabs)

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows when other sides like Leeds,Sheffield Wed & Utd and other sides from mining strongholds give the Forest fans stick for being scabs or is it just us,i know it's 30 years ago but we will never let them forget it.(for the younger members on this board the Nottingham miners wouldn't back the rest of the NUM in the 80,s strike,a young lad sitting next to me asked why we call them scabs)

Re: Yorkshire teams etc (V scabs)

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:57 pm

johnnyjan4-69 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows when other sides like Leeds,Sheffield Wed & Utd and other sides from mining strongholds give the Forest fans stick for being scabs or is it just us,i know it's 30 years ago but we will never let them forget it.(for the younger members on this board the Nottingham miners wouldn't back the rest of the NUM in the 80,s strike,a young lad sitting next to me asked why we call them scabs)

A minority of the Nottinghamshire miners stayed loyal to the NUM, as did Henry Richardson and Ray Chadwick. True, most Notts miners worked through the strike, (eventually forming the UDM, led by Neil Greatrex, among others),but many other areas were weak too, including North Wales. The only areas that really stuck it out to the end were South Wales, Yorkshire, and Kent. Even Scotland, Northumberland, and Durham struggled towards the end.

Don't know the answer to your question, though!

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 am

Doncaster have always given notts a scab beating and I know there are pockets still giving it to them in Leeds and Sheffield.
Newcastle used to but not sure if they carry it on. The jacks also used to but not sure these days, will ask.

Having gone through the year long strike myself, it is testamount they get what they deserve. The miners strike was not about pay, it was about preserving jobs and fighting for our communities, and I for one will always remind these people of the opportunity they missed in fighting for that. :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:02 am

johnnyjan4-69 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows when other sides like Leeds,Sheffield Wed & Utd and other sides from mining strongholds give the Forest fans stick for being scabs or is it just us,i know it's 30 years ago but we will never let them forget it.(for the younger members on this board the Nottingham miners wouldn't back the rest of the NUM in the 80,s strike,a young lad sitting next to me asked why we call them scabs)

I have always wondered if the other strong mining areas give them the shit they deserve as well. Not sure if Swansea give it as much has a few I work with looked a bit puzzled when I mentioned how it's a nasty atmosphere against them. Was a bit surprised considering the mining areas down their way.