Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' CARDIFF/SWANSEA.JUST DOESN'T COMPARE '

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Just like the film the Purge anything goes. Just once a year we could have our Derby match where anything Is legal. Can you imagine how much fun we could have :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 am

You dont half talk some bollocks Carl. Did you go to the Vetch in the 80's and 90's?? The only reason we dont have trouble these days is because no-one wants a 6 year prison sentence for throwing one punch.
Also the CCS is a lovely family stadium. Ninian would have compared to any ground for hostility had it seen premiership action.
I think you have this all wrong.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:48 am

I've been to every derby match at the Jacks grounds since the early 70's and in the old days the atmosphere was right up there with the very best.

In the last 15 years due to massive restrictions many fans have stopped going,they can't be bothered going to what's suppose to be a local derby which in a car etc should take 35-40 mins can now take up to 3 half hours on a bubbled in coach journey. Then the clubs put restrictions on who can buy tickets,were put in an empty ground at least 2 hours before kick off etc
The authorities and our clubs have gone so over the top on the CARDIFF/SWANSEA games that they have slowly killed what was like I said one of the best atmospheres you could ever get.
I still enjoy the CARDIFF/SWANSEA games,but the atmosphere has sadly gone down hill.
Lift all the restrictions and our derby match would go straight back up there with the best :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Put any violence aside and just going on the atmosphere,singing etc
The difference now with the Belgrade derby match is there are No real restrictions and even the clubs go out there way to help the atmosphere,plus I've seen some hatred in my time from Rangers/Celtic,Millwall/West Ham etc etc but the hatred between Partizan and Red Star far goes beyond a football match,I personally have never ever witnessed so much hatred in all my life.
Both sets of fans sang for every second of the game and way before and after the game,it was an atmosphere that I've never heard or seen like it before and I will never ever forget it, it was beyond any British derby game.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:49 am

Bluemellons wrote:You dont half talk some bollocks Carl. Did you go to the Vetch in the 80's and 90's?? The only reason we dont have trouble these days is because no-one wants a 6 year prison sentence for throwing one punch.
Also the CCS is a lovely family stadium. Ninian would have compared to any ground for hostility had it seen premiership action.
I think you have this all wrong.

Yes I did go the vetch in 80's and 90's.

Where have I mentioned trouble or hooliganism in the article, I have described the atmosphere at the games and nothing else and as someone who has been to both the South Wales and Belgrade Derbies I think I am in a better position to judge the two atmospheres than most in this thread.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:53 am

Forever Blue wrote:I've been to every derby match at the Jacks grounds since the early 70's and in the old days the atmosphere was right up there with the very best.

In the last 15 years due to massive restrictions many fans have stopped going,they can't be bothered going to what's suppose to be a local derby which in a car etc should take 35-40 mins can now take up to 3 half hours on a bubbled in coach journey. Then the clubs put restrictions on who can buy tickets,were put in an empty ground at least 2 hours before kick off etc
The authorities and our clubs have gone so over the top on the CARDIFF/SWANSEA games that they have slowly killed what was like I said one of the best atmospheres you could ever get.
I still enjoy the CARDIFF/SWANSEA games,but the atmosphere has sadly gone down hill.
Lift all the restrictions and our derby match would go straight back up there with the best :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

The difference now with the Belgrade derby match is there are No real restrictions and even the clubs go out there way to help the atmosphere,plus I've seen some hatred in my time from Rangers/Celtic,Millwall/West Ham etc etc but the hatred between Partizan and Red Star far goes beyond a football match,I personally have never ever witnessed so much hatred in all my life.
Both sets of fans sang for every second of the game and way before and after the game,it was an atmosphere that I've never heard or seen like it before and I will never ever forget it, it was beyond any British derby game

So you agree with my thoughts on it then Annis, the atmosphere at the Belgrade Derby is better than our Derby.

So it is not just me that is apparently talking bollocks :lol:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 am

Can people on here stop licking Belgrades areshole embarrassing!!!!

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 am

carlccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I've been to every derby match at the Jacks grounds since the early 70's and in the old days the atmosphere was right up there with the very best.

Both sets of fans sang for every second of the game and way before and after the game,it was an atmosphere that I've never heard or seen like it before and I will never ever forget it, it was beyond any British derby game

So you agree with my thoughts on it then Annis, the atmosphere at the Belgrade Derby is better than our Derby.

So it is not just me that is apparently talking bollocks :lol:

Carl,sadly our derby match atmosphere has gone down hill and honesty is needed here.
So yes nowadays the Belgrade derby atmosphere is better,without a doubt,I wish ours still was.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 am

Gaffer wrote:Can people on here stop licking Belgrades areshole embarrassing!!!!

There is no licking any arseholes,just saying what I saw and witnessed with my own eyes and if you ever go to one,I can tell you now you will say the same,the authorities have ruined our once great derby atmosphere.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:06 am

mr'mogreenz wrote:Take all the restrictions off the sw derby and I bet it would then. Let's not downplay it. If we had the same free role in this country, there would be absolute carnage just like there used to be. It wasn't so long ago UK fans were the most feared In Europe. And for a good reason to

Spot on with those comments.

Ninian Park was part of the reason our old derby match atmospheres were up there with the very best. :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 am

Southwest Lion wrote:a millwall/west ham derby in mid 80s ....was very lively to ....both had a fan killed on each side ...one stabbed to death ...other pushed in front of a train ...first time i ever saw blokes having pit bull dogs out on the streets after the game ...base ball bats ...axes ect ....blokes going at each other with gum shields in ...even robbing the mobile hot dog sellars of the hot boiling water to throw at each other .....all these european teams are 20 yrs to late ...west ham chelsea millwall cardiff man utd leeds ect ect would all of given them a run for their money alday long

I've been to the Millwall/West Ham derby games and they were something beyond as well,but they have even dyed down nowadays.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:37 am

The British football fan

It's now to expensive for many of the working class.
The Authorities have gone way over the top,you get a 3 yr ban for sticking fingers up or even drinking alcohol.
If you in a large group etc or even near some kind of disturbance,you can now end up with a 3 year civil ban.
You get banned now for standing up :shock:
I could write a book on the restrictions on football fans in the UK nowadays :lol: and that's where the atmosphere is lost.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:The British football fan

The Authorities have gone way over the top,you get a 3 yr ban for sticking fingers up or even drinking alcohol.
If you in a large group etc or even near some kind of disturbance,you can now end up with a 3 year civil ban.
I could write a book on the restrictions on football fans in the UK nowadays :lol: and that's where the atmosphere is lost.

Annis we only have ourselves to blame because we gave the authorities the ammunition to put the restrictions in place.

What you witnessed in Belgrade was an experience BUT it seems to me you guys who went there are not taking into account the segregation and heavy robo cop presence there. Can you imagine how it would have been with out that. Well I can because I witnessed that in the early 70s at Ninian and the streets outside.

Cardiff v Leeds FA cup 1972. 2 hours before KO the ground was practically full. I usually stood behind the goal in the Grandgend but for this game I had to stand in the Bob Bank practically on the corner to the Grangend. Behind me was about 500 Leeds fans, on the corner of the Grangend was about 2,000 Cardiff. The tension was electric and impressive. The corner between both stands was void of anyone. THERE WAS NO POLICE CORDON WHATSOEVER.

The Cardiff broke ranks and it was like watching an army of ants running down a hill. Before I knew it my mates and I were in the middle of it and were literally pushed to the half way line. I recall and handful of cops going into the melee and arresting a few. After that I watched the Cardiff regroup but never saw the Leeds again.

That was one of a few incidents I witnessed when the big following came to Ninian. I believe those days plus the 80 are the ammunition we have given the police to use their totalitarian approach to British football.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:The British football fan

Annis we only have ourselves to blame because we gave the authorities the ammunition to put the restrictions in place.

What you witnessed in Belgrade was an experience BUT it seems to me you guys who went there are not taking into account the segregation and heavy robo cop presence there. Can you imagine how it would have been with out that. Well I can because I witnessed that in the early 70s at Ninian and the streets outside.

Cardiff v Leeds FA cup 1972. 2 hours before KO the ground was practically full. I usually stood behind the goal in the Grandgend but for this game I had to stand in the Bob Bank practically on the corner to the Grangend. Behind me was about 500 Leeds fans, on the corner of the Grangend was about 2,000 Cardiff. The tension was electric and impressive. The corner between both stands was void of anyone. THERE WAS NO POLICE CORDON WHATSOEVER.

The Cardiff broke ranks and it was like watching an army of ants running down a hill. Before I knew it my mates and I were in the middle of it and were literally pushed to the half way line. I recall and handful of cops going into the melee and arresting a few. After that I watched the Cardiff regroup but never saw the Leeds again.

That was one of a few incidents I witnessed when the big following came to Ninian. I believe those days plus the 80 are the ammunition we have given the police to use their totalitarian approach to British football.

Ian, you are right in what you say. I too have been to matches like Cardiff v Man United in the 70s and those were mental,mad unbelievable atmospheres.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:17 am

comparing teams stuck in the seventies to modern day uk teams is bullshit :roll:
END OF..........

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:19 am

papa wrote:comparing teams stuck in the seventies to modern day uk teams is bullshit :roll:
END OF..........

:thumbup:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:38 am

papa wrote:comparing teams stuck in the seventies to modern day uk teams is bullshit :roll:
END OF..........

Actually Papa, Carl did not want to do that, the Echo changed it to that, all Carl wanted to do,was talk about a great experience and Carl wrote 3 times this for them,they wanted to change it to comparing to our derby match, which like you say you can't as ours nowadays totally different.

Years ago,ours was something really special.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 am

Grobari_Partizan wrote:Why you think you will get banned. It is normal civilised communication. As I told you, we respected you British fans. We still respect you even today. Because of that we are honored that we had Cardiff lads with us last week. I can't compare your firms and our firm from 80's, simple we hadn't so many opportunity to see where we were. I just know that English fans 1987. in Belgrade (Yugoslavia - England) had good resistance. You can ask older lads from England about that game. So, you can't equate ex Yugoslavia with other East European countries where football hooliganism started from the end of the 90's. Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I wanted to say.

Uros and you and your fans showed nothing but the greatest Respect and Hospitality anyone could ever ask for and that I Thank you for :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Grobari_Partizan wrote:Why you think you will get banned. It is normal civilised communication. As I told you, we respected you British fans. We still respect you even today. Because of that we are honored that we had Cardiff lads with us last week. I can't compare your firms and our firm from 80's, simple we hadn't so many opportunity to see where we were. I just know that English fans 1987. in Belgrade (Yugoslavia - England) had good resistance. You can ask older lads from England about that game. So, you can't equate ex Yugoslavia with other East European countries where football hooliganism started from the end of the 90's. Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand what I wanted to say.

Uros and you and your fans showed nothing but the greatest Respect and Hospitality anyone could ever ask for and that I Thank you for :thumbright: :thumbright:

:bluescarf:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:

It was pleasure

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0orMz13TOtE

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 am

From last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdj7jBT9tu0

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 am

Out of interest how much was a ticket?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:23 am

theclaw wrote:Out of interest how much was a ticket?

Between £7-£9 I think :thumbright:

Thanks to Uros he bought them for the 4 of us. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am

theclaw wrote:Out of interest how much was a ticket?

Cheapest were about £5,5 (south and north side), east and west side £8-£12 and VIP about £33,5.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 am

socioeconomically they are in a different universe to us.

We sit in our sanitised all seater stadium 1 min before kick off. Raise a few synchronized claps to men of Harlech (I think it so camp), sit back down shout c'mon city, check your phone, check the premier league live scores, sigh and moan when something goes slightly amiss. Can't be bothered to stand up for one minute and hold a blue scarf aloft for the 19.27 protest and the best of all leave 5 mins early to avoid the traffic.

We then go home, give it large on our laptops and demand that we should be consulted on every decision and have the right to boo players because we pay £400 for a season ticket.

The authorities have got what they wanted, a middle class money making machine.

I love football- But I was hooked on everything that went with it (first season with my mates 82). That has gone and when we go back to blue, good fans like Ely boy and other leavers will find other things to moan about, because what Carls article is about has gone.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:09 pm

A very interesting article and thread. This is what the forum should be about: Sharing experiences with each other.

I'm jealous that there is such passion and fire (flares) in Europe, but for it to return to the UK terraces, we would need to accept less families being prepared to put their kids in potential danger and also cages around the ground. After Hillsborough, I don't think we need to even think about it.

Perversely, the decrease in physical segregation at grounds results in less violence, but also less vocal support. It reminds me a bit of the posturing that goes on when two blokes face off in a pub. Each one of them is capable of struggling to get free of his mates who are restraining him, but the moment they are released, they back up.

I am old enough to remember the ferocity of fans at Ninian Park and The Vetch. The atmosphere was frightening but exhilarating at the same time. The problems outside the grounds was another matter and that is something I would never want to witness again.

The singing/chanting could be hugely improved without threats of violence though. It is down to every individual to light the fire in his belly. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:13 am

My wife is from Ecuador, so when I go there I watch LDU Quito.....they played Man Utd 2008? in World Club Championship, anyway, at half-time people go round throwing things into the crowd, whoever catches it, keeps...There are no seats in that section I was in, just steep concrete, a recipe for disaster, I couldn't help thinking about 'health & safety' as all us brits are indoctrinated into it, and 'how is this a good idea'

Yeah it happened, a bloke got pushed over from the rush behind trying to catch a signed football, cracked his head on the concrete. Paramedics and the whole works.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:59 am

There is a 3rd club in BELGRADE Div 3 and they are suppose to be very hardcore,picture of their graffiti
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 am

Annis, they are FK Rad Belgrade and they are playing in 1st division.

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 am

Carl's story on official Partizan's website:

http://www.sr.partizan.rs/98379-derbi-i ... velsanina/