Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Good call VT on Slade

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm not your greatest fan. But you might have struck gold if the comments from players in the news tonight. Perhaps it shows how the modern fan is name driven and lacks football knowledge in general !!!!!

Re: Good call VT on Slade

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Maybe, but perhaps making such a conclusion is a little premature after just 2 games, both at home.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Maybe, but perhaps making such a conclusion is a little premature after just 2 games, both at home.

Absolutely!

There was never any doubt that RS was a good manager, and he knows the English game; BUT:

1) Tan went on the advice of Glen Roeder and a few others, he made the call, but he didnt single him out personally for footballing reasons - if Tan understood football he wouldn't have asked why Marshy doesn't score goals...

2) It's still early days, and although the signs are positive, it might not work out in the long run. What if we get found out and he doesn't have a plan B? What if he signs the wrong players and disrupts the squad? Unlikely but possible.

3) RS - good manager, very reputable in L1, transformed Orient and reached a playoff final which he was unlucky to lose
Pulis - Took stoke up, settled them into the league, bought well, established them. Took over Palace, kept them up, PL manager of the year. A football chairman would've gone for Pulis I think :thumbup:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 pm

JamesC wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Maybe, but perhaps making such a conclusion is a little premature after just 2 games, both at home.

Absolutely!

There was never any doubt that RS was a good manager, and he knows the English game; BUT:
/
1) Tan went on the advice of Glen Roeder and a few others, he made the call, but he didnt single him out personally for footballing reasons - if Tan understood football he wouldn't have asked why Marshy doesn't score goals...

2) It's still early days, and although the signs are positive, it might not work out in the long run. What if we get found out and he doesn't have a plan B? What if he signs the wrong players and disrupts the squad? Unlikely but possible.

3) RS - good manager, very reputable in L1, transformed Orient and reached a playoff final which he was unlucky to lose
Pulis - Took stoke up, settled them into the league, bought well, established them. Took over Palace, kept them up, PL manager of the year. A football chairman would've gone for Pulis I think :thumbup:

Marshall why haven't you scored....do you believe Tan said that? ;)

This is Tans call but only after advice. Fair play to him here he is taking responsibility. However he should have gone for Pullis but his stubborn personal feelings got in the way...a naïve unprofessionalism he has shown there.

If Slade does take us all the way back to the premier then the biggest sigh of relief will be coming from Tan himself.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:11 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Marshall why haven't you scored....do you believe Tan said that? ;)

This is Tans call but only after advice. Fair play to him here he is taking responsibility. However he should have gone for Pullis but his stubborn personal feelings got in the way...a naïve unprofessionalism he has shown there.

If Slade does take us all the way back to the premier then the biggest sigh of relief will be coming from Tan himself.

I don't see it that way - Vinnie has recruited someone who isn't going to be Billy Big Bollocks (hopefully) and challenge him in a confrontational way. That doesn't mean he (Russ) won't have influence or a say, but Vinnie I think has learnt that having a manager like Pulis would carry a lot of baggage.

I like Pulis, but I see the logic of what Vinnie has done here.

Now for us fans we don't see the day-to-day running of the organisation - the club employs hundreds of people, not just a football manager, although we, the fans, only really care about the first team manager and the results he gets out of the team on the pitch.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards, at least we look like a team now and that is down to Russ, no one else.

CTID

:bluescarf:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:31 am

Whilst we are in the championship Slade is the right man.

I think a lessons learnt exercise should have been conducted over the summer and I think you have to be ruthless and get a prem manager if you are in the prem.

Get a football league manager for the football league.

442 doesn't work in the premier league anything but it's varient doesn't work in the championship.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
JamesC wrote:

Absolutely!

/

Marshall why haven't you scored....do you believe Tan said that? ;)

Slade is on a tenth of the wage if not more that Pulis would be on. Slade might well be a better manager he's never been given a chance at a higher level.

Ffs Ian give him credit for once.