Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Russell Slade trimming the squad & final 20 players '

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Russell Slade has identified 20 players from a group of more than 30 who will form his playing squad for his first three matches.

Will the twenty players he has identified be the nucleus of his squad for the majority of the season ?

I expect we will see players leave on loan before the emergency loan window closes in November and there will surely be a number of players sold in January.

STARTING 11 Vs Forest

1 Marshall
2 Brayford
5 Manga
36 Morrison
21 Ralls
19 Pilkington
17 Gunnarsson
7 Whittingham
11 Noone
10 Le Fondre
14 Macheda

SUBS :
18 Adeyemi
9 Jones
12 John
20 Daehli
23 Maynard
33 Moore
39 Gabbidon

STARTING 11 Vs Ipswich

1 Marshall
2 Brayford
5 Manga
36 Morrison
3 Fabio
19 Pilkington
17 Gunnarsson
7 Whittingham
11 Noone
14 Macheda
10 Le Fondre

SUBS :
13 Kim
16 Connolly
20 Daehli
21 Ralls
23 Maynard
33 Moore
39 Gabbidon

I think it is right to reduce the squad to a smaller group than what it is at the moment, do you agree or do you think other players in the squad deserve a chance ?

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Re: Russell Slade trimming the squad

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:47 pm

We should have a first team squad of 20 players with 4 or 5 youngsters coming through. 2 reasons. First reason being morale. It must be awful having a squad of 30 with 8 or 9 nit getting a chance. Secondly from a financial point of view we cannot afford 30 players on big wages. Tan must take the blame for this as owner of club. Financial suicide springs to mind.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Makes sense, I would really like to see Guerra given a go but i guess there is a reason he hasnt been involved under 3 managers.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Makes sense, I would really like to see Guerra given a go but i guess there is a reason he hasnt been involved under 3 managers.

He was in Slade's squad of 20 for Saturday, so may not be as far down the pecking order as some would think.

It may well be that he's short of fitness/sharpness if he had a falling out with Ole.

I wouldn't write him off yet, nor Dikgachoi.

Could be like 2 quality new signings for us :)

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Makes sense, I would really like to see Guerra given a go but i guess there is a reason he hasnt been involved under 3 managers.

He was in Slade's squad of 20 for Saturday, so may not be as far down the pecking order as some would think.

It may well be that he's short of fitness/sharpness if he had a falling out with Ole.

I wouldn't write him off yet, nor Dikgachoi.

Could be like 2 quality new signings for us :)

I hope this is right, as I like what little I've seen of Guerra and feel he could be a huge asset to the team :thumbup:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Guerra is the one that springs to my mind to give a chance but it seems that him and Cala won't be around much longer.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm

carlccfc wrote:Guerra is the one that springs to my mind to give a chance but it seems that him and Cala won't be around much longer.

Cala is understandable in a way . When you look at the choice we've got at centre half it's hard to see how he can make an impact. Shame as I believe he's got talent and he's certainly got fight. Won't forget his goal and performance at Southampton and also his goal at Everton and the disallowed goal v Stoke which could have turned our season.

Let's also not forget he's only 24. Young to be trying to settle in playing in a new league in a different country with different playing style,culture and language. He's a bit of a victim of playing against some big strong opponents (and Suarez).

Guerra though is a different story, if we are playing 2 up front, then we will probably also need 2 strikers on the bench too, there's room for him amongst that, especially if we get an injury or 2. Plus he really should be fighting for a starting spot given his record and pedigree.

Re: ' Russell Slade trimming the squad '

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Definitely needs trimming down. Way too many players at our club.

Slade is doing all the right things :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Re: ' Russell Slade trimming the squad '

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 pm

I've said it before, Cala needs to go. He's not a positive influence in the dressing room. Get rid. :bluescarf: