Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

your overall opinion on gaffers impact

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:26 am

Hi has I've chucked my season ticket in at the end of last season for reasons I won't go in to as I want to put a positive post on. As I don't get to watch the boys anymore, I was wondering everybody's opinion on Russell's influence on the team obviously we've won both games under him. But how is the team performing and do we think that promotion is still achievable. Imo I think we could get top two maybe even win it there's still a lot of points to play for. One concern for me though is our away form as we are yet to win on the road. But I believe russel will turn that around soon. When I first heard that he was up for job I like most people thought who is he. The more I read up about his background I thought that tan had made a shrewd decision here. One his wages are most probably a lot less than of ogs. Also imo his history speaks volumes he's an experienced old school manager which imo there's not enough of them around nowadays. He deserves a chance at this level and I think he could do really well.

Re: your overall opinion on gaffers impact

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 am

Hopefully see a positive turn out again at Millwall and pick up 3 points, points on the road will be vital for our promotion but finally we are playing as a team!

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 pm

An excellent start against some very difficult opponents.

The impact Slade has had on our setup is similar to what we saw last season when Poyet and Pullis moved into Sunderland and Palace respectively. The total opposite to what we saw of Ole. However it is still too early to put Slade on the same pedestal as Poyet and Pullis. Lets see how it goes when we come across a bit of a hiccup which will happen.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Excellent so far. Interesting to see how we line up away. Hope we stick with the same 11

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:An excellent start against some very difficult opponents.

The impact Slade has had on our setup is similar to what we saw last season when Poyet and Pullis moved into Sunderland and Palace respectively. The total opposite to what we saw of Ole. However it is still too early to put Slade on the same pedestal as Poyet and Pullis. Lets see how it goes when we come across a bit of a hiccup which will happen.

I didnt see the Ipswich game but I thought the turnaround against Forest was huge in every detail.

It is very early to judge but im glad he has had a good start.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 pm

As well as changing the formation to a more competitive 4-4-2, he's got the players fighting for their shirt, in that if they don't buy into his philosophy by closing down the opposition and working hard for their team mates, they won't get to play in the next game!

Great appointment IMO, as the team now know their responsibilities, has a good shape about them and after tiring after their exertions in the second half against Forest, he's now got them fit enough to compete for nigh on the whole 90 minutes, where we continue to push forward, instead of dropping deep due to fatigue!

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:12 am

KBK-13 wrote:Excellent so far. Interesting to see how we line up away. Hope we stick with the same 11

Agree :thumbup:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 am

saw both his games, and my impression is this - thank God we finally look like a football team who know each other rather than 11 strangers who've just met!!

First half v Ipswich there were many mistakes, but both sides were guilty, it was just one of those halves I think. Second half we came out gunning and took them to the cleaners - even the usual nervy last 10 mins weren't actually that bad. marshy had little to do apart from collect crosses and a couple of regulation saves.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:50 am

I'm undecided yet as to whether the upturn in performance is totally down to the influence of the new manager, or if its just down to the players being released from Ole's shackles.

last saturdays performance I put down almost 100% to Ole not being there, rather than to Slade being there, but the game against Ipswich you could see that players played with a bit more of a zip, more freedom of expression and more of a togetherness that we hadn't seen before, which hopefully has come more from the new man at the helm. Continuity of selection (both of players and position - eg ALF) helped enormously. Also, Whitts and Gunnarsson have finally realised that they are getting a bit more time on the ball than they did last season and are now beginning to dominate the middle again - which they havent been able to do for a couple of years.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:11 pm

All this positivity and nice words are making me shudder, and nervous.

I think his old type management and experience, combined with back to basics and keeping it simple will pay off long term

Wouldn't it be great (not just because its Cardiff) if a lower laegue manager (as he is called) could take a team into the Premier League? What a boost for other British managers. It could help bring the game back down to earth (well maybe).

Godd luck to him, for his own, as well as our sakes. :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I agree with much that has been said already.

However, where I think the change has been even more impressive is that this is not a 'honeymoon period' as such. I say this because he has been with the squad for some time now due to the complications with his previous club and the international break.

The players are past just impressing the new boss. They've had enough time to decide whether he has what it takes. The way the team is playing with commitment and organisation, yet showing creativity speaks volumes.

Yes, it is early days, but the indications are there. The other advantage Slade has is that he was publicly selected and recruited by Tan. Therefore, Tan will be reluctant to undermine him as this would reflect badly on his decision. For all that, Slade has made it clear that he will pick the team, not the owner. I get the feeling he means it!!!

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Breath of fresh air to see a manager with common sense in charge! Feeling alot more optimistic but not getting carried away. if i was a betting man id still say well be in the playoffs, to say top two i think il wait till christmas and see where we are at

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Think he has brought stability and work rate to the club.
It's too early to tell if he will be successful but so far so good,
If I have any worries it would be that he seems a bit rigid with the old school 4-4-2. That won't work in the premiere league. I hope he has more cards up his sleeve,
Also want to see how he handles certain players not getting games as he sticks with the same 11 and makes very few changed there are bound to be some players who got games previously that will become frustrated, like jones for instance.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:51 pm

playing simple football looks like everybody understands.....dropping noone to left back was a strange decision as he was way out of his comfort zone...but a great start...lets hope it carries on all season.. :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 pm

krabb wrote:playing simple football looks like everybody understands.....dropping noone to left back was a strange decision as he was way out of his comfort zone...but a great start...lets hope it carries on all season.. :ayatollah:

Dropping Noone to left back wasn't strange given the after match news, where Slade said that Declan John had a hamstring problem!

It was a straight choice between leaving Ralls at left back or pushing him into the centre of midfield, which is his normal playing position!

Having decided to put Ralls into midfield, Noone was the obvious choice to go to left back!

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
krabb wrote:playing simple football looks like everybody understands.....dropping noone to left back was a strange decision as he was way out of his comfort zone...but a great start...lets hope it carries on all season.. :ayatollah:

Dropping Noone to left back wasn't strange given the after match news, where Slade said that Declan John had a hamstring problem!

It was a straight choice between leaving Ralls at left back or pushing him into the centre of midfield, which is his normal playing position!

Having decided to put Ralls into midfield, Noone was the obvious choice to go to left back!

It was a mistake though, Ralls was better as left back, it meant moving two players instead of one, still we just about got away with it.

Slade has made a great start, he has been brilliant with the media, and has made a great impact with the players keeping things simple and letting them have some continuity, and giving them confidence, let's hope it continues :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

It was a mistake though, Ralls was better as left back, it meant moving two players instead of one, still we just about got away with it.

Slade has made a great start, he has been brilliant with the media, and has made a great impact with the players keeping things simple and letting them have some continuity, and giving them confidence, let's hope it continues :ayatollah:

We'll never know whether it was a mistake, as he could just as easily have put Noone into central midfield and things could have gone even worse! :ayatollah: