" Tony Pulis would have relished the Cardiff City job "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby BluebirdsTilIDie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Former Stoke City manager Tony Pulis says he would have been interested in taking over at Cardiff City.
Newport-born Pulis was a favourite with bookmakers and many fans to succeed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

56-year-old left Crystal Palace in August but was not considered for the Cardiff role before they appointed Russell Slade.
"If the call would have come I certainly would have spoken," Pulis told BBC's Sport Wales.
Pulis, who won the Premier League's manager of the year award last season, left Palace by mutual consent less than 48 hours before the start of the season.

He had been frustrated by the failure to land a number of summer transfer targets.
The former Newport County defender was linked with Cardiff but was not an option that appealed to the club's Malaysian owner Vincent Tan.
"It would have been wonderful in many respects to have gone back to Wales and to have taken over a football club that has the potential to back into the Premiership," Pulis added.

"It would have been wonderful to have got it back in the Premiership and established it but that wasn't to be.
"I never got a phone call and that's fine."

Former Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade was Tan's personal choice as after ex-Manchester United striker Solskjaer stepped down after nine months in charge,

A protracted legal dispute between Cardiff and Orient held up Slade's appointment but Cardiff have won their first two games under the 54-year-old, who has also managed Yeovil Town and Brighton.
Pulis says Cardiff fans should get behind Slade and believes they have got a good chance of getting promoted back to the Premier League despite a disappointing start to the season.

"I know Russell and he's a good man," Pulis added.
"Russell is carrying the flag for the football club and for the city - he's not just carrying the flag for himself.
"All the supporters should get behind him and work for one cause because Cardiff have still got a fantastic chance of getting promoted.

"They've not had the best of starts but they've still got an unbelievable chance of getting promoted."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29727925
BluebirdsTilIDie

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Tony Pulis would of taken Cardiff Job.

Postby Liam » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Oh well, doesn't matter now anyway. Time to keep supporting Russell and the boys now :ayatollah:
Kevin McNaughton is king.
Liam

Re: Tony Pulis would of taken Cardiff Job.

Postby SwampCCFC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:16 pm

agreed.

100% behind slade :ayatollah:
SwampCCFC

Re: Tony Pulis would have taken Cardiff Job.

Postby JonCCFC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Big shame.

Slade has my full support though and he what a start he's had. :ayatollah:
JonCCFC

Postby BluebirdFoz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Its a shame we didnt get Pulis.
But I'm really behind Slade, had a great first two games, and I feel he is the man for the job :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
BLUE ARMY!!!
Check out the link to help with my Scouts fundraising:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172250
BluebirdFoz

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Massive opportunity missed.
Carpe Diem

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Massive opportunity missed.

opportunity for what?? would he have won first 2 games?? would he be any better ? would you come back and say same when we get promoted! :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebina » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

opportunity for what?? would he have won first 2 games?? would he be any better ? would you come back and say same when we get promoted! :thumbup:

I agree with Carpe, massive opportunity missed, Slade looks a decent manager, but Pullis is in a different class, it's like comparing Liverpool who had a good season last year with Real Madrid........

Still he has my backing, and I like him, he's had a great start by playing the best players in the correct positions and asking them to work and close the space......
Bluebina

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I agree with Carpe, massive opportunity missed, Slade looks a decent manager, but Pullis is in a different class, it's like comparing Liverpool who had a good season last year with Real Madrid........

Still he has my backing, and I like him, he's had a great start by playing the best players in the correct positions and asking them to work and close the space......

pulis is a trouble shooter mainly, only achieved 2 promotions in 20 odd years! so again what opportunity have we missed? :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Blazing Saddles » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Pulis? - Dim diolch, just a poor man's Russell Slade. :old: :bluescarf:
Blazing Saddles

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

An opportunity to get this club of ours promoted, this year or next, but then to keep us in the PL. To create the foundations and structure that will serve us for years to come. To attract the right players based on a good reputation at the highest level.

Would he have won the first 2 games? Based on what I've seen I would say probably as all it's taken is to organise the players, instil a work ethic and play them in their best positions. The players clearly have the ability, it was just letting them go out and prove it.

Of course we will never know and I'm more than happy with what Slade has done. I will support him until he gives me reasons not too. I hope that day doesn't come any time soon, but I don't think he will lead us to promotion. If I'm wrong feel free to bake a huge humble pie!
Carpe Diem

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Sums up my feelings.
Carpe Diem

Postby Bluebina » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:54 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

pulis is a trouble shooter mainly, only achieved 2 promotions in 20 odd years! so again what opportunity have we missed? :thumbup:

I think he would easily get this squad up, and he would keep us there, Slade was a massive gamble, but it looks like it may pay off???

If he does get us up, with his experience could you see him keeping us there ????

Pullis almost certainly would, but it's all hyperthetical, it's onwards and upwards with Russel Slade :ayatollah:
Bluebina

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He's had about 8 years in the PL so difficult to get promotion! Not the best stat to throw around then. His record suggests he usually improves teams he manages. If not promotion then saving from relegation. Just missed out in a play off final too.

How many promotions has Slade had then?
Carpe Diem

Postby Wayne S » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 pm

So he was interested but the egos across the board obviously wanted a yes man who wouldn't cause them issues by questioning their every move.

The CURRENT Premier League Manager of the year was interested and we did not speak to him.

As for only getting promoted twice, that is all that it needed. All the other recent seasons have been nothing but success in the Premier League. Hard to get promoted any higher.

But there you go, boys in the board room wanting full control of the playing side so they employed a man who looks like a kid in a candy shop and cannot believe his luck?
Wayne S

Postby cardiff yid » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He's had about 8 years in the PL so difficult to get promotion! Not the best
stat to throw around then. His record suggests he usually improves teams he manages. If not promotion then saving from relegation. Just missed out in a play off final too.

...... How many promotions did SIr AF get ;) Pulis or Slade no brainer for me . Tony Pulis,
cardiff yid

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He's had about 8 years in the PL so difficult to get promotion! Not the best stat to throw around then. His record suggests he usually improves teams he manages. If not promotion then saving from relegation. Just missed out in a play off final too.

not sure never looked, but you still didnt answer the question what opportunity have we missed?? besides getting a manager who trouble shoots teams in trouble and keeping them in the division they are in! we do not want to stay in champ or is that good enough for you because my point is he doesnt get promotion for teams only save from relegation? as you point out!! :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

not sure never looked, but you still didnt answer the question what opportunity have we missed?? besides getting a manager who trouble shoots teams in trouble and keeping them in the division they are in! we do not want to stay in champ or is that good enough for you because my point is he doesnt get promotion for teams only save from relegation? as you point out!! :thumbup PS not disputing pulis over slade just the point i make what opportunity have we missed?
pembroke allan

Postby llangainbluebird » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:49 pm

All a bit academic now.
llangainbluebird

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Easy to say that now, massive clanger by Pulis.

In the international break I managed to speak to someone who met Pulis and was a City fan.. he asked what his opinion was on us getting Slade then went on to ask him if he was asked and interested at any point.. he did say he haven't been rung or anything but he had no intentions on wanting the job whatsoever. He has no intentions in getting back into managing until next season. :thumbright:

Shame and opportunity missed, good lying Pulis.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I would have loved Bluebirds job, says Tony Pulis

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/11552157._/?

Cardiff City job WOULD have interested Tony Pulis but ex Stoke City boss insists fans MUST support Russell Slade

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ed-7982425?
TopCat CCFC

Postby Daft Dave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 pm

So all those who shouted other posters down by saying Pulis didn't want the job, as if they knew, didn't really have a clue!! What a suprise
Daft Dave

Postby Daft Dave » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Wayne S wrote:So he was interested but the egos across the board obviously wanted a yes man who wouldn't cause them issues by questioning their every move.

The CURRENT Premier League Manager of the year was interested and we did not speak to him.

As for only getting promoted twice, that is all that it needed. All the other recent seasons have been nothing but success in the Premier League. Hard to get promoted any higher.

But there you go, boys in the board room wanting full control of the playing side so they employed a man who looks like a kid in a candy shop and cannot believe his luck?

Guy wins his first two games and you're still disrespecting him...unbelievable
Daft Dave

Postby Woodville Willie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm

This is just a distraction right now, just when the side is starting to show some form. The cynic in me says that some are only happy when they are moaning or criticising.

This weekend the club has the opportunity to get 9/9 in the space of a week and secure a top half position. This can be consolidated and bodes well for the remainder of the season.

Pulis wasn't asked. Maybe Tan holds him partly responsible for Palacegate, who knows?

Make hay while the sun shines and concentrate on moving forward. :bluescarf:
True Blue
BLUE IS THE NEW BLUE!!!!
Woodville Willie

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

An opportunity to get this club of ours promoted, this year or next, but then to keep us in the PL. To create the foundations and structure that will serve us for years to come. To attract the right players based on a good reputation at the highest level.

Would he have won the first 2 games? Based on what I've seen I would say probably as all it's taken is to organise the players, instil a work ethic and play them in their best positions. The players clearly have the ability, it was just letting them go out and prove it.

Of course we will never know and I'm more than happy with what Slade has done. I will support him until he gives me reasons not too. I hope that day doesn't come any time soon, but I don't think he will lead us to promotion. If I'm wrong feel free to bake a huge humble pie!

I did answer Al!
Carpe Diem

Postby Woodville Willie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Daft Dave wrote:
Wayne S wrote:So he was interested but the egos across the board obviously wanted a yes man who wouldn't cause them issues by questioning their every move.

THIS^^^^

Well said! :bluescarf:
True Blue
BLUE IS THE NEW BLUE!!!!
Woodville Willie

Postby JimmyJazz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:16 am

I like Pulis, and would have been delighted to see him as our manager. Unlike some, though, I am not distressed that he isn't.

Slade is obviously a step-change for us, but we've had big boots on for managers since we got back in the Championship - Moans was ex-Premier League, Malky was Championship with a recent playing pedigree in our league and Premier, OGS is a football legend.

I have no problem with the Club deciding to take someone like Russ - he is hardworking with years of experience, and has shown in the first 2 games that he can manage the players to work as a team. For that alone I am grateful cos we were embarrassing in football terms beforehand.

I don't see any dark clouds of intrigue here - why shouldn't the club have a lower-profile manager after the calamity of the last couple of years? Makes sense to me.

Anyhow, we've just beaten 2nd and 6th, played some decent football and fought bravely to the end of each match - I for one am delighted.

I even like his Russ' fist pump :ayatollah: loved to see him doing his first ayatollah at the Canton Stand's beckoning, when Scott gave him a shout from behind, class moment, well done Scott :ayatollah:

CTID

:bluescarf:
My father missed the cup final in 1927 as my grandad only had 2 tickets, and my Dad had an older brother!
JimmyJazz

Postby Wayne S » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 am

Daft Dave wrote:
Wayne S wrote:...... looks like a kid in a candy shop and cannot believe his luck?

I think you will find my disrespect is toward the board and owner.

If you are on about my "kid in a candy shop" statement then let me run this quote past you and then decide if I'm wrong.

"When you are a little boy and you go to bed on Christmas Eve, you are a little bit excited about getting up in the morning to open presents and tuck into them. It is like that really, and I'm looking forward to it." - Russell Slade on starting work at Cardiff City.

Anyway let me turn your disrespect back on you. Two wins and you are already respecting his work. Most on here are saying give him 6 to 10 games before judging.

This is not about Slade, this is about the club ignoring the obvious and the Premier League Manager of the Year being interested in managing Cardiff City.

I see Glenn Roeder is still at the games.
Wayne S

Re: " Tony Pulis would have relished the Cardiff City job "

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:24 pm

I think Pulis would have done a good job here, not sure why he is saying this now.

Why not throw his hat into it while we had no manager?

To be fair I can understand Tan not wanting to bring him in after spygate.
2blue2handle

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Wayne S wrote:
Daft Dave wrote:
Wayne S wrote:...... looks like a kid in a candy shop and cannot believe his luck?

I think you will find my disrespect is toward the board and owner.

If you are on about my "kid in a candy shop" statement then let me run this quote past you and then decide if I'm wrong.

"When you are a little boy and you go to bed on Christmas Eve, you are a little bit excited about getting up in the morning to open presents and tuck into them. It is like that really, and I'm looking forward to it." - Russell Slade on starting work at Cardiff City.

Anyway let me turn your disrespect back on you. Two wins and you are already respecting his work. Most on here are saying give him 6 to 10 games before judging.

This is not about Slade, this is about the club ignoring the obvious and the Premier League Manager of the Year being interested in managing Cardiff City.

I see Glenn Roeder is still at the games.

so what if he was interested in job he was manager of the season why? because he saved a team from relegation!! as he has done on numurous times, but only twice been promoted in his career is that what we needed this season a manager to save us from relegation? because his promotion credentials are not brilliant are they? or is staying in champ the aim???
maybe thats why club ignored him as we didnt need saving from relegation so pulis was not required! :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Next

Return to General Chat