Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Macheda v Kenwyne Jones '

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:15 am

I enjoyed last nights game and at one stage midway through the second half I found myself thinking everything might be OK this season after all. It was noticeable though that Macheda receives a bit of stick, as does Jones when he's playing, so I thought I'd write a simple breakdown of their relative merits so everyone can consider them as players in the cold light of day.

Heading Ability -

Jones is a big lump of a lad and there's no doubt that when a ball is lofted up to him or thrown down the line then he'd be favourite to win it over many defenders. This is only the case though when the ball comes straight to him, I've seen balls land just 20 yards away from him loads of times and he shows no real desire to move the short distance to win one that's not right at him. Macheda on the other hand will get himself over the pitch to get under high balls but last night especially he won very few. That could be because he's still not match fit but I'm more convinced that he just isn't used to that kind of ball and that it doesn't suit his style of play. Moreover we could be doing him a disservice by lobbing balls up to him in this way as it doesn't entirely fit with our new 2 mobile forwards type of style. I think both players are equal when it comes to getting headers in on goal when balls are crossed or pulled back from the line. Both are strong and can get good direction on goal but although Jones is slightly stronger in that position I still think his lack of mobility means that Macheda will get more headers in on goal. If I was playing as a defender against them I know for sure I'd rather mark Jones because he stands still and I could do my job more easily. Give me that every time over an attacker who's going to try and move me round the pitch a bit. I could let Jones bring the ball down and lay it off in the knowledge that I'd down my job.

Tackling and Mobility -

On the basis that you've got to get in close enough to make a tackle then Macheda wins this one hands down. Jones flatters to deceive and usually chases defenders down once,or at best three times, at the start of a game or after he comes on. Mecheda on the other hand chases people down for pretty much the whole time he's on the pitch. For me this will cause more concern for defenders and rush them into making wrong decisions in the way they try and play the ball out.

Ability with the ball at their feet -

Jones can certainly hold the ball up and lay it off to supporting midfield players but his touch can be a bit suspect. He's certainly not a players who turns opposition defenders and puts them on the back foot. He doesn't run the line or make many positive diagonal runs, at least not more than a couple of times each game. Macheda doesn't control the ball too well either, at least not on his two recent showings but I guess that could be due to lack of competitive match practice. What Macheda can do though is go past people. He appears to be a bit quicker than Jones and moving in the direction of goal he has shown he can beat people.

Striking Partnerships -

Mecheda's style of chasing players down will compliment Le Fondre much more by sharing those duties. Jones and Le Fondre doesn't have the same result because Le Fondre spends most of his time and energy chasing down everything when he's playing alongside Jones. This just results in him being unable to summon up the strength to play his own game, he just won't score as many goals when he's totally knackered. From what I've seen in the last two games the Macheda - Le Fondre partnership will be much more effective.

Goal Scoring -

There's not much between the pair on this aspect of their game. Jones has more goals this season but then he's had all the game time. Macheda has two in two games and more if you add in his Cup tally. It's difficult to separate them when they are in front of just the keeper.

Team Play and Inspiration -

If only we could ask their team mates which one they prefer! For me again Macheda wins this one. Jones has already dropped back into his laid back style and when he does this his body language can't possibly inspire his team mates or the fans. I've heard lots of calls that he should be brought on as an impact player but this just totally changes our approach to the game. Recently he's taken to standing on the touch line for Marshall to fire balls at him to head on. If they don't go out of play the starting position never results in decent attacks on goal by anyone quick enough to get on potential flicks. I also think that if he doesn't start the game he's not much interested in being a substitute.

That's my views. I'm sure you'll all share yours.

Re: Macheda v Jones

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 am

Jones for me. Macheda makes Jones look like a highly charged trained athlete who runs like a headless chicken for 90 minutes.

Yes Macheda has scored 2 league goals but other than that I think that he is the worse striker at the club! He is very slow, sluggish, gives the impression that he is unfit and does very little closing down or running off the ball. He is also some way behind Jones when it comes to heading ability.

Jones wins more or less everything in the air and he provides you with a target man who can hold the ball up. Jones with Le Fondre alongside could be a good partnership.

Re: ' Macheda v Kenwyne Jones '

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 am

Slade wants to play passing football, with the front two pressing the centre backs without possession. For this we need mobile strikers for the system he likes. Kenwyne has his use, but that is coming on 10mins from time to cause havoc in the box if we are getting bodies around him. Basically, if we are losing, hoof the ball into the box for the last 5mins of the match

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:41 am

I think you've done Jones an injustice. I've seen him in some games this year where he's run his heart out & if he's stood on the touch line waiting for Marshall's kicks, you can be sure that he's under instructions to do so. You can't blame him for that!
Coupled with his excellent defending from corners etc. it's Jones for me at the moment but it's still early days & both players will contribute to the still long season ahead.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

Macheda for me. He offers more than Jones who seems to have lost interest.

Re: Macheda v Jones

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:34 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Jones for me. Macheda makes Jones look like a highly charged trained athlete who runs like a headless chicken for 90 minutes.

Yes Macheda has scored 2 league goals but other than that I think that he is the worse striker at the club! He is very slow, sluggish, gives the impression that he is unfit and does very little closing down or running off the ball. He is also some way behind Jones when it comes to heading ability.

Jones wins more or less everything in the air and he provides you with a target man who can hold the ball up. Jones with Le Fondre alongside could be a good partnership.

Totally agree. I too think that Macheda offers little.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Think you are being unfair on Jones. Imo Macheda just has the benefit of playing in a team that plays as a unit. But he is very slow, looks unfit and his work ethic is pretty poor.

The only thing Macheda has on Jones is better technical ability but if you are gonna play a technical striker with good link up play, Guerra is your man. Its a travesty that the club can't utilise his talent imo.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Macheda is there to get into the penalty box, slide the ball into the net, he does it well and Slade and Young look delighted with him when he comes off each game.

I think Macheda will improve it's on the start of the season for him.

Jones is a great plan B, and hopefully a few weeks on the bench will make him hungry again...

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm

LonCar wrote:Think you are being unfair on Jones. Imo Macheda just has the benefit of playing in a team that plays as a unit. But he is very slow, looks unfit and his work ethic is pretty poor.

The only thing Macheda has on Jones is better technical ability but if you are gonna play a technical striker with good link up play, Guerra is your man. Its a travesty that the club can't utilise his talent imo.

If Guerra was onside with the club, playing 4-4-2 he could rip up the championship :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Whilst I thought Macheda didn't offer much in the first half, I thought second half he was much better in general, with his hold up play and passing to. He looked especially up for it after the goal. That's the thin with 4-4-2, two poachers up front, you'll always get goals :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Where was Kenwynne last night though?

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 pm

How the f**k can you even compare Hones and Macheda heading Jones is a beast in the air and Macheda is complete and utter shit.

Macheda is more mobile but is still very lazy in getting himself foward when others have the ball

Macheda is better when in control of the ball but jones has a much better first touch

Both are equally good at shooting

Jones is much better defensively from set prices

Both will be needed this season if both fully fit I'd go with Jones to partner Alfie up front! :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 pm

The running and chasing nonsense I never understood with Jones, he's a target man and a minority of our fans show to have no clue about 'types' of players.. like people who slate Whittingham. Embarrassing.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 am

DandoCCFC wrote:The running and chasing nonsense I never understood with Jones, he's a target man and a minority of our fans show to have no clue about 'types' of players.. like people who slate Whittingham. Embarrassing.

Disgree - I'm just pointing out that 'moving' is an attribute in football. By those remarks I'm assuming you thought Fraser Cambell wasn't up to much either. If you close down space and hassle defenders it not only forces them to give the ball away but can result in goals for you and other players around you. It's an attribute that Jones is limited in. How many players can you name in top sides that have a target man that won't move 20 yards to get involved in the game.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:39 am

Forgot to mention Bellamy. He falls into the same bracket as a player who got us loads of possession/goals/uplifted supporters etc by running people down.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 am

ThomasC wrote:
LonCar wrote:Think you are being unfair on Jones. Imo Macheda just has the benefit of playing in a team that plays as a unit. But he is very slow, looks unfit and his work ethic is pretty poor.

If Guerra was onside with the club, playing 4-4-2 he could rip up the championship :ayatollah:

I'd like to see Guerra given a run up front with Kenwynne Jones :bluescarf:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 am

Skewett wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:The running and chasing nonsense I never understood with Jones, he's a target man and a minority of our fans show to have no clue about 'types' of players.. like people who slate Whittingham. Embarrassing.

Disgree - I'm just pointing out that 'moving' is an attribute in football. By those remarks I'm assuming you thought Fraser Cambell wasn't up to much either. If you close down space and hassle defenders it not only forces them to give the ball away but can result in goals for you and other players around you. It's an attribute that Jones is limited in. How many players can you name in top sides that have a target man that won't move 20 yards to get involved in the game.

Macheda doesnt really run and close down either. I expected him to be more energetic and faster. He is really slow.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Really no argument. Jones lacks any mobility and half his lay offs go straight to the opposition. When he playing we tend to hoof the ball far more. macheda is improving all the time in terms of fitness and against Ipswich had his best game yet. He makes good runs and is forging a great understanding with Alfie. As Slade said, it's all about partnerships, especially playing 4-4-2

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:14 pm

We have not seen Jones play with another striker. Jones lack of mobility but superior heading ability may benefit ALF more than Macheda.

But, I hope that macheda is not fit and there is more to come as finding 2 goals from 2 games when starting is a pretty good knack to have.

Macheda is not a target man, he jumps 1 foot for the ball and ducks 2 foot.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Skewett wrote:

Yes because Campbell isn't a targetman. Yes he is limited in it because he's targetman and like most targetman they are limited in that. Jesus christ.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:30 am

bluemun wrote:Really no argument. Jones lacks any mobility and half his lay offs go straight to the opposition. When he playing we tend to hoof the ball far more. macheda is improving all the time in terms of fitness and against Ipswich had his best game yet. He makes good runs and is forging a great understanding with Alfie. As Slade said, it's all about partnerships, especially playing 4-4-2

I've got to agree. Jones has his uses but Macheda is a far better player on the deck. Macheda and ALF will be our number one partnership and will look better once both have a run of games. Jones has done well this season and will get his share of starts and minutes from the bench :thumbup: