Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' LE FONDRE '

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 am

' Cardiff City: Adam Le Fondre revels in striking role '

Wed 22nd Oct 2014

Adam Le Fondre was delighted to have proved his worth as a striker after his first goal for Cardiff City helped seal a 3-1 win over Ipswich Town.
The 27-year-old scored 15 goals for Reading last season but after joining Cardiff was played in a wide role by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
But new boss Russell Slade has played Le Fondre in a more central role.

"When I signed I had ambitions to play up front and I think all the fans wanted to see me up front," he said.
"I'm sure Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted to play me up front and I don't know what transpired where obviously I didn't get picked up front.
"Now I'm playing up front under the new gaffer and I think I'll go on to show why I should play there, I think I'll score goals.
"Obviously it was a scrappy goal, I don't care how they go in, and that's what I'm about."
Cardiff fell behind to a fine Daryl Murphy half-volley, but were back on level terms before half-time with an even better effort from Peter Whittingham.
Federico Macheda put Cardiff in front at the beginning of the second half, before Le Fondre's deflected shot made the points safe.

The result, following on from Saturday's 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest, gives Slade a 100% record since taking charge and saw Cardiff climb to 10th in the Championship.

Le Fondre believes his fledgling strike partnership with Macheda is showing real promise.
"We're bringing the best out of each other at the minute, obviously he's got two goals in two games and I've just started, so hopefully this is the start of my goal-scoring spree," Le Fondre added.
Cardiff travel to Millwall on Saturday as they seek to continue their winning run.

Re: ' LE FONDRE '

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 am

I like Le Fondre, a very clever/intelligent player , who also gives 100% every time he plays, tremendous work rate !

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am

Glad that he has been given a chance up top. He is a proven goalscorer with a great record.

What like to see him play alongside Jones up top who can provide the knock downs for him. Macheda does not give you that option. Failing that Guerra alongside Le Fondre could be a good combination but Guerra does not get a look in.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:51 am

bluebird66 wrote:I like Le Fondre, a very clever/intelligent player , who also gives 100% every time he plays, tremendous work rate !

can come across as cocky but I think its just determination, seems a sound guy and according to reading fans he really gets firing once he gets on a run, usually around January.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am

One of the many reasons why Ole didn't have a clue. Le Fondre has earned his reputation from playing up top. Why play him out wide? It makes no sense. Glad he's been given the chance but it wasn't exactly rocket science!

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

ALF is a proven striker at the highest level and with a good run in the team I'm certain we will see a lot of goals from him.

His all round effort and contribution against Ipswich last night was top class and he assisted one goal and scored another - he looked dangerous every time he had the ball!! Ole did not play him in his strongest position for whatever reason but Russell Slade is giving ALF that chance - watch this space!!

:bluescarf: :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am

blemmy wrote:ALF is a proven striker at the highest level and with a good run in the team I'm certain we will see a lot of goals from him.

His all round effort and contribution against Ipswich last night was top class and he assisted one goal and scored another - he looked dangerous every time he had the ball!! Ole did not play him in his strongest position for whatever reason but Russell Slade is giving ALF that chance - watch this space!!

:bluescarf: :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Well said - totally agree :thumbup:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Zabier wrote:One of the many reasons why Ole didn't have a clue. Le Fondre has earned his reputation from playing up top. Why play him out wide? It makes no sense. Glad he's been given the chance but it wasn't exactly rocket science!

True that! :thumbup:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Playing really well will chase everything, makes himself available, defends from the front, is working well with his strike partner, scores goals, you can't really ask for more. :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Been played wing every game he's played in for us I think? Doing well up top.. working his socks off.. he doesn't look the fittest in my eyes ATM.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, former Reading striker Adam Le Fondre found himself playing out wide for The Bluebirds rather than up front in his natural position. Since Russell Slade has taken over at Cardiff he has played Le Fondre in his more conventional role alongside fellow summer signing Federico Macheda.

The move has paid dividends as three goals between the pair have seen Cardiff pick up six points from their last two games. Le Fondre has huge competition at the club from Kenwyne Jones, Nicky Maynard and Javi Guerra on top of Federico Macheda. Jones is currently their top goalscorer with five goals, and Slade has a plethora of talent available to him.

Aside from Guerra, all the strikers are proven at this level and any club would love to have them. Solskjaer obviously tried to find a way to incorporate as much of that talent in the team as possible, and that led to Le Fondre playing out wide. The 27-year-old was delighted to have finally got off the mark for his club on Tuesday and was delighted to have been given the chance to prove himself in his natural position.

"When I signed I had ambitions to play up front and I think all the fans wanted to see me up front," he said.

"I'm sure Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted to play me up front and I don't know what transpired where obviously I didn't get picked up front.

Now I'm playing up front under the new gaffer and I think I'll go on to show why I should play there, I think I'll score goals."

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/10/ ... -solskjae/?