Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Declan John out on loan in jan??

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Heard from a close family friend of declan that bolton are interested in taking him on loan.
anyone think this could benefit us in the long run as the kid needs a good run of first team football at this stage of his career to fufill his potential. He wunt get a sniff the way fabio is playing and ralls is competant to cover there when needed. ???????????

Re: Declan John out on loan in jan??

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 pm

MagsMerfaBLUE wrote:Heard from a close family friend of declan that bolton are interested in taking him on loan.
anyone think this could benefit us in the long run as the kid needs a good run of first team football at this stage of his career to fufill his potential. He wunt get a sniff the way fabio is playing and ralls is competant to cover there when needed. ???????????

Depending if we stay in this division which we won't know then a 6 month or 1 month loan deal could do him good. Would need cover in that area and imagine an experienced LB would be brought in if he was out on loan.

It's strange one because a lot on here like myself don't know if he is a full back at best because he used to play a different position didn't he?

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 am

He played left wing and left mid before. It's odd, people forget he held his own last year as our left back, I don' see why people seem to think he is bad this season based on him not playing. He is young and needs the playing time. Personally I think he is more of a wing back than a full back as he is more attacking as could be seen from last season.
A loan will do him the world of good, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him out somewhere soon.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:05 am

mr moose wrote:He played left wing and left mid before. It's odd, people forget he held his own last year as our left back, I don' see why people seem to think he is bad this season based on him not playing..

:? Declan wasn't ready to face premier league opposition so how he 'held his own' I completely disagree. Bad handling of a youngster who was out of his depth. He needs to have a few years out on loan in my opinion to find his level, he would probably be best at a L1 club for now and see how he progresses from there

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am

He should be playing first team football, so let him go. Better to have someone like Ralls on the bench who can cover several positions. I wouldn´t sell him though, as I still believe he has huge potential. Might be a hit already next season.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 am

I wouldn't mind seeing him play left wing. I see many similarities between him and Bale, even though he's clearly not got Bale's potential. I would loan him out because he's just being wasted on the bench with us. We have Connolly who can play full back as well so he could cover. I definitely think John is good enough for the Championship but right now Fabio is the better option.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 am

I said at the start of the season that we needed another left back and John should have been sent out on loan but I got slated.

To me he has potential but at the moment not good enough.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 am

ThomasC wrote:
mr moose wrote:He played left wing and left mid before. It's odd, people forget he held his own last year as our left back, I don' see why people seem to think he is bad this season based on him not playing..

:? Declan wasn't ready to face premier league opposition so how he 'held his own' I completely disagree. Bad handling of a youngster who was out of his depth. He needs to have a few years out on loan in my opinion to find his level, he would probably be best at a L1 club for now and see how he progresses from there

I agree. Very sensible post. He did not hold his own last season. He was named by Sky as the poorest LB in the Premiership but that is hardly surprising. He needs to learn his trade as a defender and a suitable loan would be beneficial. But we need some cover before he can go anywhere. Against Forest we were horribly exposed.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:40 pm

He needs games, i would defo let him go on loan unless Slade has plans for him. A lot of people don't rate Declan but i think he will come good. He just needs more experience, he is still very raw.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 pm

I think Declan has had a lot of unfair stick recently, he was at fault for a few goals last season and this season but I think a lot of players would of struggled last season in that defence which was leaking goals constantly. I say if we find experienced cover for Fabio then Declan would benefit from a short loan spell somewhere.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Why wait if true ?