Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Racist Leeds? '

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Player cited during Norwich match for racist abuse against Cameron Jerome!

Ref stopped match for a while!

Investigation tonight!!

Norwich City’s Cameron Jerome alleges he was racially abused by Leeds’ Giuseppe Bellusci in Championship 1-1 draw

Norwich City striker Cameron Jerome has alleged he was racially abused by Leeds Giuseppe Bellusci in Tuesday's 1-1 Championship draw.

Paddy Davitt, Norwich City Writer
Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Norwich City boss Neil Adams insisted Cameron Jerome can count on the full support of the Canaries after the striker alleged he was the subject of a racist slur from Leeds defender Giuseppe Bellusci in Tuesday night’s 1-1 Championship draw at Carrow Road.

CommentsEmailPrint
The FA will now await referee Mark Clattenburg’s full report of the first half flashpoint, after Adams confirmed the two clubs had provided statements following the match.

Clattenburg stopped the game during the opening period when Jerome and Bellusci had squared up following a corner, before the official then spoke to both managers on the touchline. Jerome was booked within seconds of the game restarting for a foul on the Leeds centre back, but Adams revealed in his post-match interview the City frontman was adamant he had been racially abused.

“Cameron Jerome has alleged he was the subject of a racist remark,” said Adams. “Because of that Mark Clattenburg, who I felt handled the incident very well, came over to the touchline to explain to Darko (Milanic) and myself what I have just told you. He spoke to Cameron because of the way he had reacted. That was what he explained to us. He spoke to the players at half-time with a representative from each club and statements have been made now. Mark will submit a report to the relevant authorities and it will be dealt with from there.

“He didn’t take any action at the time. He merely relayed what Cameron had said. It must now go through the proper channels. Yes, Bellusci is the player who has been alleged to have made the remark. My concern was to speak to Cameron at the break to make sure his head was right.”

Adams is confident the FA and the Football League will now deal fully with the matter.

“We back our player. I’m sure Leeds will back their player but other than that we can’t comment any further because there is now going to be an investigation I would expect,” he said. “I’ve never experienced this at first team level. We had one incident at youth team level. It has been handled the right way. Everyone will get a chance to have their say.”

Leeds counterpart Milanic planned to speak to Bellusci on the long journey back to Yorkshire.

“After the game I have not gone back to the changing room. I have five hours now on the bus to talk with him. I haven’t talked with the player,” he said. “It is extremely difficult for me to comment on something I haven’t heard and is new for me. It is better if other people in the club comment on this matter. I haven’t talked with him so I don’t know if he is denying it or not.”

Re: Racist Leeds?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-ci ... _1_3815321

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Player cited during Norwich match for racist abuse against Cameron Jerome!

Investigation tonight!!

Watch this space

I hope that no action is taken over this unless it was overheard by others or we could have players from ethnic minorities claiming racial abuse for all sorts of situations should decisions go against them. However, it is a serious matter and maybe it's time that all players as well as refs are 'wired' to help prevent such incidences?

Re: ' Racist Leeds? '

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 pm

I really hate them lot and Millwall.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Situation seems to be handled well atm.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 am

Hopefully throw the book at Bellusci If found guilty.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:13 am

no, Leeds aren't racist anymore than any club. However, if an incidence of racism occurs, it should be dealt with as soon as possible.

That is it. :arrow:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 am

Very well handled by the ref.

If the player denies it and there were no witnesses then very difficult to see how action can be taken other than allowing the two players to sort it out themselves.

I suspect that someone heard something.

But well done ref.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am

Ah, the classic he said/she said argument... except being he said/he said obviously!

Innocent until proven guilty but Jerome has never seemed like the sort of person who would fabricate such a claim. I'm not keen to judge without knowing more of the player but it's well known Italy has a racist element still prevalent in its culture so it wouldn't be the biggest surprise if Bellusci had said something.

Nothing can be done unless someone else heard something and right now it appears that nobody did. If Bellusci did say something and gets away with it then he should be ashamed. However, if Jerome did make this accusation up then he should also be ashamed.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm

64JACK wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:Player cited during Norwich match for racist abuse against Cameron Jerome!

Investigation tonight!!

Watch this space

I hope that no action is taken over this unless it was overheard by others or we could have players from ethnic minorities claiming racial abuse for all sorts of situations should decisions go against them. However, it is a serious matter and maybe it's time that all players as well as refs are 'wired' to help prevent such incidences?

I agree about the refs being wired up. Like they have in rugby. Stops any doubt about what's being said then, like when players surround the ref efing and blinding, at eachother. Its all on record then

Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:
64JACK wrote:

Investigation tonight!!

Watch this space

I agree about the refs being wired up. Like they have in rugby. Stops any doubt about what's being said then, like when players surround the ref efing and blinding, at eachother. Its all on record then

Sorry, ment players