Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Great start RS '

Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Not sure of the exact stats but that was the first time in 6 games at home in the championship we have beaten Ipswich losing 3 and drawing two of the previous five encounters at home to arguably a side that has been a bit of a bogey side for us over the last few years

The performance wasn't as good as it could have been but the points are valuable at this stage especially after our porr start to the season! Sometimes you have to win ugy in this league and quite frankly whilst we'd all love to see some Possesion football and a bit of cutting edge the 3 points are far more vital to continue our push for the playoffs and maybe just maybe automatic promotion

Slade now has 6 points from a possible 6 and it's been a great start under his reign winning home games will be important and RS has delivered what was much needed after such a bad start, one thing I think slade has instilled in the players is the organisation that was non existent under solskjaer, we attack as a unit and defend as a unit, everyone seems to understand their role far better with the ball and without the ball which is a vast contrast to the first few games under ole where most of the players seemed to have no clue what was expected of them

What I liked tonight in the first half was the patient building from the back which kept the pressure off to an extent and helped build some momentum, we lumped a bit more second half which was dissapointing but Ipswich were as well prepared defensively as you'd expect a McCarthy side to be and proved hard to break down, the only concern for me which I pointed out several times in the first half was the backing off and depth of whitts and Gunnar when Ipswich were near our 18 yard box I was screaming for the players to push out and close down the ball before they scored from a long effort and they duly did! In fairness to slade he was also bellowing and gesturing this first half but to no avail

What I think we will see from slade is continuity which is needed after using so many players in the first few games, winning also breeds confidence and I'm sure the lads will be dying to get back out for the next game now, I think RS has his squad in mind now and I believe the 11 we've seen last two games is what he perceives to be his current best 11 with maybe Morrison to come in, that poses another question tho as who do you drop to play him?

For me he's AM but you can't drop whitts in current mood or gunnarson who I think gets way more stick than he should, the guy was everywhere again today, breaking up play time and time again, what I will say for Gunnar is what he lacks in quality he makes up for in sheer hard work and tenacity and his never say for attitude, he is a perfect slade man in my opinion a real battler and grafter who for me should be captain of this squad! He's a perfect partner in most respects for a creative midfielder!

So for me if RS is to play ravel Morrison it's more than likely he loses a striker with ravel playing in behind as the number 10, I don't think this is necessarily a slade formation as he seems to like a 4-4-2 but maybe away from home we will see the 4-4-1-1 in order to include Morrison or maybe Pilkington will make way and Morrison will play on the wing, I don't think he's as effective on the wing but he'll do a job there if asked to do so

So far so good for us and slade then and I expect to see further improvement as slade beds in even more and if what he's achieved so far is just a glimpse of what he could then we may just have bagged ourselves one of the best managers we have seen in a long while, time will tell on that front but I'm encouraged by the way the players have responded to him and hope he's the man to completely turn our season it's a tough ask but what a platform he's given us so far to continue the charge for promotion

Let's get behind him and the team again this weekend!!

Re: ' Great start RS '

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Cardiff City boss Russell Slade 'not surprised' by dream start in Bluebirds hotseat -

Cardiff City manager Russell Slade saw his dream start continue in the Welsh capital then declared, 'I'm not surprised.'

The Bluebirds made it two wins out of two under their new boss as they saw off Ipswich to add to their victory over Nottingham Forest three days earlier.

The victory moved Cardiff to 10th in the table just three points off the play-off places and has seen a resurgence from the capital club that might well come as a surprise to many.

That is all but Slade who said despite the ups and downs of the game he was always expecting victory.

"I'm not surprised at our start, no, "said the Bluebirds boss.

"I never expect to lose a game, but that's just my mentality. I never go out to try and nick a result I am going out there to win.
"I'm a football manager who has done 650 games or more. Of course you always want the fans with you. It is just two games now, but it does give us a little bit of momentum."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... de-7976101?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 pm

We've had our disagreement in the past Smakerz but this is spot on. :thumbup:

I've had a good feeling about RS from the time his appointment was announced, but he has settled in quicker than I expected. He is exactly what the club needs. His experience may well be at a lower level, but it is valid experience when it comes to setting up structures and gaining respect.

Surely the squad must be buzzing now to impress him. This can only be positive. Good to see PW getting a new lease of life too in a comfortable role. All in all, it's gravy all the way! :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:We've had our disagreement in the past Smakerz but this is spot on. :thumbup:

I've had a good feeling about RS from the time his appointment was announced, but he has settled in quicker than I expected. He is exactly what the club needs. His experience may well be at a lower level, but it is valid experience when it comes to setting up structures and gaining respect.

Surely the squad must be buzzing now to impress him. This can only be positive. Good to see PW getting a new lease of life too in a comfortable role. All in all, it's gravy all the way! :bluescarf:

Totally agree, I've always said whitts is best when dictating games and pushing forward he can only do this when we have strikers who will create him space by making runs etc plus with Gunnar busting a gut in behind it gives him a little more freedom and some of the play the last two games reminds me of whitts back to his best which funnily enough came under DJ years when we had the same rigid 4-4-2 and two strikers willing to make runs and create space in bothroyd and chops

Be interesting to see how he fits ravel in though what do you think WW?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:50 pm

smakerzthebluebird wrote:
Woodville Willie wrote:We've had our disagreement in the past Smakerz but this is spot on. :thumbup:

Totally agree, I've always said whitts is best when dictating games and pushing forward he can only do this when we have strikers who will create him space by making runs etc plus with Gunnar busting a gut in behind it gives him a little more freedom and some of the play the last two games reminds me of whitts back to his best which funnily enough came under DJ years when we had the same rigid 4-4-2 and two strikers willing to make runs and create space in bothroyd and chops

Ravel M is going to need a more flexible role if he is to be a regular choice. However, sometimes, Slade will need to mix things up a bit and maybe the away fixtures could be 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1. This may well be Ravel's chance to shine. :bluescarf:

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:

Ravel M is going to need a more flexible role if he is to be a regular choice. However, sometimes, Slade will need to mix things up a bit and maybe the away fixtures could be 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1. This may well be Ravel's chance to shine. :bluescarf:

Pretty much what I said in my OP, think you may be right in regards to Morrison maybe having to be more flexible in is role so perhaps a role on the wing isn't out of the picture especially if RS sticks to the 4-4-2 system he seems to like

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:

Pretty much what I said in my OP, think you may be right in regards to Morrison maybe having to be more flexible in is role so perhaps a role on the wing isn't out of the picture especially if RS sticks to the 4-4-2 system he seems to like

Yes it's pretty ironic really that Whitts was playing out of his natural position, whereas now Ravel M may need to adapt his game. The one thing is the players really want to play under Slade so less likely to show anything but commitment.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:
Woodville Willie wrote:

Yes it's pretty ironic really that Whitts was playing out of his natural position, whereas now Ravel M may need to adapt his game. The one thing is the players really want to play under Slade so less likely to show anything but commitment.

They seem to want to give him their all which is only a good thing for the club hopefully make it 3/3 Saturday against millwall

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:
Woodville Willie wrote:

They seem to want to give him their all which is only a good thing for the club hopefully make it 3/3 Saturday against millwall

If the other results go the right way, it'll mean play-off territory!! Amazing :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am

I think if we show the same work rate desire and attitude against millwall Saturday it should be 3/3 for RS it won't be an easy game but I feel we have the tools to go on a run at the minute and I'm hoping we do a Sunderland of a few years ago