Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

5 Years for Murder

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am

Oscar Pistorius has been jailed for five years for killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day last year.

The 27-year-old, who was found guilty of culpable homicide last month, gave little visible reaction as the sentence was handed down.

Judge Thokozile Masipa had ruled the Olympic and Paralympic athlete did not intend to kill his girlfriend when he fired through the bathroom door at his home in Pretoria.

"Having regard to the circumstances in the matter, I am of the view that a non-custodial sentence would send the wrong message to the community," she said.

"On the other hand, a long sentence would also not be appropriate either, as it would lack the element of mercy.

"What may appear to be justice to the general public may not be justice. Society cannot always get what they want."

She said Pistorius' skill using a gun was an aggravating factor but that she also recognised his remorse.

She said he "fired not one shot but four shots into the door" of a small cubicle "with no room for escape".

He was also handed a suspended three-year prison sentence for the discharging of a firearm, over an incident in which a gun accidentally went off in a restaurant.

Sentencing options available to her in the culpable homicide case included jail, a suspended sentence, a correctional supervision or fine.

It brings to a close the sprinter's seven-month trial, which attracted worldwide attention.

One of the most sensational trials in the country's history, the sentence is expected to fuel further controversy about race and money in its justice system.

Pistorius' legal team argued during the marathon trial that he mistook Ms Steenkamp for an intruder and believed they were both in danger.

His lawyer Barry Roux said the athlete had "lost everything" after the 29-year-old model's death, and argued he should not go to prison.

He also said the 'Blade Runner' athlete, whose lower legs were amputated as a baby, would face particular difficulties in jail.

But state prosecutor Gerrie Nel had argued that only 10 years' imprisonment would satisfy the South African public.

He said that any lesser sentence could result in a widespread loss of faith in the justice system.

Re: 5 Years for Murder

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:47 am

sounds about right given they believed pistorius was negligent as opposed to a murderer.

just my opinion of course but i think he murdered her and so has got off very lightly, overall a very good result for pistorius.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 am

SwampCCFC wrote:sounds about right given they believed pistorius was negligent as opposed to a murderer.

just my opinion of course but i think he murdered her and so has got off very lightly, overall a very good result for pistorius.

Agreed

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am

So he will serve only 10 months in prison ?

Just doesn't add up at all !!!!!

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am

SwampCCFC wrote:sounds about right given they believed pistorius was negligent as opposed to a murderer.

I don't think he meant to kill her, but he was unbelievably negligent if he did not. If it was a temper tantrum then he will live withthat for the rest of his life. She unfortunately has no life.

Difficult for the prison service over there now as they will have to protect him, but not seem to give him preferential treatment.

Not sure its a good result for him ( 3 years in a South African prison), if he was released it would have been good for him but then the whole world would have been against him. It is probably better he gets that type of sentence as he will suffer in there, and his career is over with no hope of ever getting back to athletics. It will look as though as he has been punished and he can get on with his life. Unfortunately she has no life to be getting on with.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 am

Just like the Ched Evans case there will be a campaign for him not to be allowed back with the Blades again on his release.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 am

NIBluebird wrote:Oscar Pistorius has been jailed for five years for killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentine's Day last year.

The 27-year-old, who was found guilty of culpable homicide last month, gave little visible reaction as the sentence was handed down.

Judge Thokozile Masipa had ruled the Olympic and Paralympic athlete did not intend to kill his girlfriend when he fired through the bathroom door at his home in Pretoria.

"Having regard to the circumstances in the matter, I am of the view that a non-custodial sentence would send the wrong message to the community," she said.

"On the other hand, a long sentence would also not be appropriate either, as it would lack the element of mercy.

"What may appear to be justice to the general public may not be justice. Society cannot always get what they want."

She said Pistorius' skill using a gun was an aggravating factor but that she also recognised his remorse.

She said he "fired not one shot but four shots into the door" of a small cubicle "with no room for escape".

He was also handed a suspended three-year prison sentence for the discharging of a firearm, over an incident in which a gun accidentally went off in a restaurant.

Sentencing options available to her in the culpable homicide case included jail, a suspended sentence, a correctional supervision or fine.

It brings to a close the sprinter's seven-month trial, which attracted worldwide attention.

One of the most sensational trials in the country's history, the sentence is expected to fuel further controversy about race and money in its justice system.

Pistorius' legal team argued during the marathon trial that he mistook Ms Steenkamp for an intruder and believed they were both in danger.

His lawyer Barry Roux said the athlete had "lost everything" after the 29-year-old model's death, and argued he should not go to prison.

He also said the 'Blade Runner' athlete, whose lower legs were amputated as a baby, would face particular difficulties in jail.

But state prosecutor Gerrie Nel had argued that only 10 years' imprisonment would satisfy the South African public.

He said that any lesser sentence could result in a widespread loss of faith in the justice system.

I think he already knew the outcome and it falls smack bang in the middle of either sides sentencing argument! :(

Watch this space for some kind of 'deal' on where/how he will spend his sentence! :evil:

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:57 pm

NIBluebird wrote:So he will serve only 10 months in prison ?

It was not murder it was 5 years for culpable homicide which is equivalent to our version of manslaughter.
With good behaviour I believe he is likely to do half that sentence which is the same sort of thing we have in our penal system.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 pm

No doubt he will earn an absolute fortune from all this as well, through book deals, movie rights, interviews ect. If I was that girls parents I'd be waiting for him outside the prison gates on his release with a gun... I'd fancy my chances In Court after seeing what he got

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

It was not murder it was 5 years for culpable homicide which is equivalent to our version of manslaughter.
With good behaviour I believe he is likely to do half that sentence which is the same sort of thing we have in our penal system.

Heard today that he'll have to serve the full 5 years, but he's still conned the judge!

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Heard today that he'll have to serve the full 5 years, but he's still conned the judge!

one news station said only 10 months - 5 years will give him time to think , he,s bankrupt too