' 48 YEARS AGO TODAY ABERFAN '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby welshcitydragon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 am

Lets all remember them poor children and there teachers and family's whos young lives were taken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsxVo2 ... E4F2041C63
COFIWCH DRYWERYN FE GODWN NI ETO
NOTHING IN LIFE IS MORE CERTAIN, THAN LIFE IS COMPLETLY UNCERTAIN !
KEEP WALES CLEAN , DUMP YOUR SHIT IN eNGLAND
welshcitydragon

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: 48 YEARS AGO TODAY ABERFAN

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 am

welshcitydragon wrote:Lets all remember them poor children and there teachers and family's whos young lives were taken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsxVo2 ... E4F2041C63

RIP :ayatollah:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby vikinblue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 am

So sad,R.I.P.
vikinblue

Postby Depressed Blue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:00 am

Such a poor level of coverage.

Type Aberfan disaster into Google and not one news item appears.

The Western Mail, The South Wales echo, BBC Wales should be ashamed.
Depressed Blue

Postby McNaughtyButNice » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 am

RIP - Never forgotten.
McNaughtyButNice

Postby mr'mogreenz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 am

I'm not an emotional lad, but every time I see a clip of that disaster, I have to pull myself together. And I agree with depressed blue, the lack of coverage by the welsh media outlets is shameful, if it wasn't for this thread, I wouldnt have had any idea it was today. one of britains worst ever disasters, yet hardly a mention of it. R.I.p to all who lost their lives on that tragic day
mr'mogreenz

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:45 am

Horrible. RIP.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby llangainbluebird » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 am

RIP. Never forget Aberfan.
llangainbluebird

Postby Depressed Blue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:36 am

Could we do a minute silence tonight?.
Or, something?.
Depressed Blue

Postby Zabier » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:34 am

Depressed Blue wrote:Such a poor level of coverage.

Type Aberfan disaster into Google and not one news item appears.

The Western Mail, The South Wales echo, BBC Wales should be ashamed.

I was thinking just that. In terms of tragedy, when considering the amount of children lost, I can't think of too many more tragic events that have happened in the UK.

I cannot even begin to imagine the heartache and loss of those families that suffered. Horrible. So, so horrible.
Zabier

Postby Welsh Exile » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 am

I lived there 7 or 8 years later for a couple of years (I was only a kid and my parents ran a pub there)

I still have fond memories of the place, whilst the community spirit was amazing there was always and I imagine always will be an air of sadness just under the surface.

My thoughts to everyone in Aberfan.

RIP
Welsh Exile

Postby darran1927 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:21 pm

before my time (I'm 31) but I read up on it and my old man was telling me about awful tragedy may they all Rest In Peace :(
darran1927

Postby welshcitydragon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:35 pm

The worst part about it was, that the Labour government of the day made the people of Aberfan pay for the clean up out of the money that was sent for them from people all over the world,and know one was brought to book for it and the people up the valleys still vote Labour
welshcitydragon

Postby mr'mogreenz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:The worst part about it was, that the Labour government of the day made the people of Aberfan pay for the clean up out of the money that was sent for them from people all over the world,and know one was brought to book for it and the people up the valleys still vote Labour

Didn't the coal board also try to cover it up? Slimey scum Bastards. All disasters are bad, but can't think of a worse British disaster than aberfan.
mr'mogreenz

Re: ' 48 YEARS AGO TODAY ABERFAN '

Postby blue for you » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Disgraceful behaviour by the government and NCB. A terrible event and it should have coverage from the media
Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they're not talking about me
blue for you

Postby castleblue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:27 pm

There was a tribunal set by Parliament to look into this disaster which was chaired by Lord Justice Edwards Davies and thier findings were quite clear.

Blame for the disaster rests upon the National Coal Board. This is shared, though in varying degrees, among the NCB headquarters, the South Western Divisional Board, and certain individuals ... The legal liability of the NCB to pay compensation of the personal injuries, fatal or otherwise, and damage to property, is incontestable and uncontested.

I remember this day because of two things, it's affect on my dad who like many other miners spent days at the scene digging bodies out and for one of my teachers who lost family and was never the same man afterwards.

R.I.P
castleblue

Postby welshcitydragon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:11 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:
welshcitydragon wrote:The worst part about it was, that the Labour government of the day made the people of Aberfan pay for the clean up out of the money that was sent for them from people all over the world,and know one was brought to book for it and the people up the valleys still vote Labour

Didn't the coal board also try to cover it up? Slimey scum Bastards. All disasters are bad, but can't think of a worse British disaster than aberfan.

Yer they said they didn't know there was water under it. But they did know as the people there told them about it before the disaster happened . And they tried to hold on to the money till the F W A Free Wales Army told they share it out or they would bomb the government offices, they then realist the money after a couple of days.
I was 16 or 17 at the time and I was working for WIMPEY on Newport rd, there were many guys there that lived near Aberfan and we all got in trucks and went up there. Cried my eyes out when I seen it and still cry when I think about it now. Yet nothing on TV or Radio about it. Bloody disgraceful ,I believe my tear are of sadness and great anger.
welshcitydragon

Postby mr moose » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Aberfan was a terrible disaster, and it is taught as an example of bad practice to engineers and earth scientists the world over.
At the time it was a massive cover up by the coal board, the building of the tip on top of a natural spring, which due to the heavy rainfall, created the area of low friction for the tip to slide. Then there was the tip it's self, it was stacked to close and actually past the angle of repose for the material and considering that the tip next to the one that failed had failed not long before, it really should have been dealt with.
As terrible as this disaster is, it helped bring light to the poor working practices and prevented similar instances from happening again.

RIP to the 144.

P.S Typing Aberfan into google does bring up news posts from today.
mr moose

Postby lincoln blue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I lived in Pontypridd back then on the old A470 and I had worked a late shift the day before and I was awoken by bells, bell after bell, ambulances, fire engines, police cars, mountain rescue etc, etc from every corner of Wales and beyond.
There was no rolling news in those and I was frightened shittless, I thought the world had come to an end, I was19 and I didn't have a clue what was happening.
Awful day, as many say RIP and I hope the surviving families have found some comfort and peace for themselves over the years.
lincoln blue

Postby noisycat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 pm

I think Blair's government actually repaid the money back that was taken from the fund but did not add on any interest and did not take inflation into account. I thought the response around the stadium tonight was something else and made me proud to be a city fan. RIP those that died and my thoughts go out to those who lost their loved ones.
noisycat

Postby Military Junta » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 pm

RIP treasured ones x
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.85 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Military Junta

Postby Military Junta » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 pm

The truth of the funds
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (155.09 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Military Junta

Postby Matt D » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:03 am

Awful tragedy. My father in law, as a 14 year old, was helping in the search for survivors.

So many kids who never had a chance to grow up...
Matt D

Return to General Chat