Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should a game in the PL be played overseas?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm

No!
68%
I don't care.
10%
Ok as part of a 38 game season
10%
Ok as part of a 39 game season
8%
Yes, great idea!
5%

Total votes : 40

POLL: 39th game or 38th transported game.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 pm

There is serious discussion going on again about the "39th Game", or rather the slightly different "38th Game" concept.

Basically, the original idea was to have an extra PL game played abroad in USA, Japan, South Korea, etc. to drum up trade for the PL and get a shed load of TV rights and gate takings in the process.

This game would count as a league fixture and carry 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw in the PL table.

The trouble is, it would mean playing a club 3 times in the season. Imagine if it was Chelsea!!!

In an effort to redress this, they are now looking at one of the 38 existing games being played overseas. Trouble is that this could mean your club losing the home advantage, so not totally fair again.

BUT there is another issue: If we get promotion, we could well end up having to play a vital-for-survival fixture away to a rival club having played the other away as well.

This is very relevant to CCFC as we don't want to fight for promotion again, only to have survival snatched by a fixture change.

Out of interest, what do you think?

Re: POLL: 39th game or 38th transported game.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Works well for the NFL. They have the Wembley games and Buffalo have played games in Toronto as well. It's essentially a neutral venue so neither team has an advantage and the home team that lose a game are compensated by the NFL. They make a lot of money and raises the profile of the NFL on a global level. The prem doesn't need its profile increased but if they can play say west brom v sunderland in a stadium that holds 90k they would make a lot more than a normal home game.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Should point out as well that the NFL games are played early mid season so there are no absolutely crucial games being played away from home. Different in the fact that promotion/relegation doesn't exist, however playoff qualification does.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Just another way of making more money while fans in this country suffer... a 39th game might work, but taking a home game off fans who pay for ST's would be harsh! Imagine us and Swansea had our game played abroad and we couldn't go, i'd be well pissed off!

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:33 pm

I think its a stupid idea, but Obviously football is all about money now though... Especially the premier league. Same kind of thing as american football NFL, and how they host a game in the UK every season. I hope it doesn't happen, but no doubt it will eventually, and I don't think it will stop at just one round of games. The major sponsors come from abroad, so they will want to see games hosted in Asia, america ect, and they obviously have a massive say in this. The real fans of British football clubs are being forgotten about. Sponsors And TV deals are all that count now

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:44 pm

39 Games
A certain amount of tickets for the 39th game should be available to season ticket holders and the travel subsidised.
i would love to go to New York to watch city in the premier league if it was affordable

It should be 1st v 2nd . 3rd v 4th , 5th v 6th and so on so the game is allways competitive and fair .
Imagine man city are 1 point ahead of chelsea after 38 games and have to play eachother for the title , or we were 1 point from safety and had to play the team above us to survive . would be a very interesting finish to the season .

Maybe start with the charity shield see how it goes

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 pm

I think there's another issue here:

Driving a financial wedge further between the haves (PL) and the have nots (everyone else)

The income will mean that established clubs become ever more wealthy at the expense of the other leagues.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 pm

As an above poster stated. Play the community shield abroad

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:29 pm

I suppose the only fair way in terms of home advantage would be that two games are played abroad, one home fixture and one away fixture, possibly against the same team?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Terrible idea. Pl just thinking of more ways to milk money with no thought going into the fans. Modern football pshhhh