' City Player admits he may have to leave '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby NIGELNIGLE » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:25 pm

20/10/14

:wave: Cardiff City star Magnus Eikrem admits he may have to leave Bluebirds after nightmare start at club.
Norwegian international ponders his future after being on the fringes of first team action with the Bluebirds.

Magnus Eikrem admits he may have to leave Cardiff City if he doesn’t break into the first team soon.

Norwegian international Eikrem, 24, has started only one League match since he signed for the Bluebirds in January and that was in the 4-0 Premier League home defeat against Hull City last season.

He has made only three Championship appearances, all as a substitute, this season and was not among the 18 players on duty for City’s 2-1 win against Nottingham Forest.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who knew him from Manchester United and Molde, signed Eikrem, who told Norwegian newspaper VG: “It’s a pity that it didn’t work out under Solskjaer. We have worked together for a long time and it is sad that he didn’t succeed.

“For as long as I am not playing for the club, neither will I get to play for the national team. You are never satisfied when you don’t play. I have hardly played for a whole year, which is not good.

“The only thing I can do is to play well when I get the chance.” I have not spoken to the new manager and will see how things go. I now need to start playing football regularly again. It cannot continue like this.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... em-7964882
NIGELNIGLE

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Eikrem admits he may have to leave

Postby davids » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Not been given much af a chance in fairness to him.

It must be difficult coming on a sub all the time and trying to make an impact on the game during limited game time, and often when he comes on it's with instructions to play in a certain way due to the way the game has panned out.

Having said that, I have seen little from him during his time on the pitch to suggest that he could make a bigger contribution so probably best for all if he moves on.
davids

Re: Eikrem admits he may have to leave

Postby krabb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:06 pm

davids wrote:Not been given much af a chance in fairness to him.

It must be difficult coming on a sub all the time and trying to make an impact on the game during limited game time, and often when he comes on it's with instructions to play in a certain way due to the way the game has panned out.

Having said that, I have seen little from him during his time on the pitch to suggest that he could make a bigger contribution so probably best for all if he moves on.

you have to earn the right to start,im guessing he hasnt done this so maybe only 1 person to blame.. :ayatollah:
krabb

Re: ' City Player admits he may have to leave '

Postby Paul Keevil » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:27 pm

I am in agreement with the above poster.

Every player within our squad has had the opportunity to impress. I understand there have been a couple of "behind closed doors" games and some have impressed whereas others have not.

Harry Redknapp hit the nail firmly on the head over the weekend. If you are good enough you play. If you are not then you best make sure you get yourself into contention.

Comments such as "if I dont play I wont get considered for Internationals" is disappointing. I take the view that every player should forget about internationals and concentrate on the club that pays the bills. If you are good enough for your club then an International Call up may follow - but not the other way around.

That said a lot (if not all) the side impressed me on Saturday and the odds on Promotion (8/1) and Winners (28/1) look very attractive.
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby bluemun » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I've not seen anything impressive about him. Ralls a much better all-round midfield player.
bluemun

Postby Bluebina » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 pm

He may get a chance tomorrow we have a few injuries and unfit players in central midfield.

If he is not on the bench at least, I would imagine he will soon be gone.....
Bluebina

Postby bluelover » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I think it says everything that he only got the one full game under Ole. Berget also never made it and sadly it seems that Championship football isn't suitable for Daehli who is clearly very gifted and shines for his National side.
bluelover

Postby LonCar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 pm

bluelover wrote:I think it says everything that he only got the one full game under Ole. Berget also never made it and sadly it seems that Championship football isn't suitable for Daehli who is clearly very gifted and shines for his National side.

Yep, you could say Eikrem wasn't given a chance but surely the idea is for players to impress in training and take their chances when they get some minutes?
Mats is different gravy. Must keep him. A bit inconsistent at the minute but lots of young players go through a slump, his talent is unquestionable. Hope Slade shows some faith in him don't want him benched all the time to the extent where he wants to leave in january.
LonCar

Postby SwampCCFC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

money down the shitter.

if he wasn't norweigan he wouldn't be here. jobs for the boys and i hope berget follows him out, utter garbage.
SwampCCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:money down the shitter.

if he wasn't norweigan he wouldn't be here. jobs for the boys and i hope berget follows him out, utter garbage.

Spot on Swamp :thumbup:
TopCat CCFC

Postby Svenman87 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 am

First off I still find it disheartening how people can be so disrespectful of our own players - whether they play for us or are currently out on loan.

IMO he is a Whitts type player - but who would have thought that Whitts would step up when he needed to so many times... Unfortunate for sure, but can't see him in a Cardiff shirt for much longer.

But I very much doubt we'll take a loss on him or Berget.

Also I would be surprised if Mats stays come January.
Svenman87

Postby Dve » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 pm

bluelover wrote:I think it says everything that he only got the one full game under Ole. Berget also never made it and sadly it seems that Championship football isn't suitable for Daehli who is clearly very gifted and shines for his National side.

I honestly think it´s too early to conclude on Mats. He has not been in his best form so far this season, but in the international matches he showed that his touch is back. If he plays up to his best, it´s silly to suggest that he´s not suited for the championship. If you are good enough for the premier league, you are good enough for the championship. It´s yet to see though, if he´s Slade´s type of player.
Dve

Postby abergblue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Thought he already had, with OGS.
Will not be missed as not up to the British game. Too slow and does not tackle.
abergblue

Postby BanterLad115 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Dve wrote:

I honestly think it´s too early to conclude on Mats. He has not been in his best form so far this season, but in the international matches he showed that his touch is back. If he plays up to his best, it´s silly to suggest that he´s not suited for the championship. If you are good enough for the premier league, you are good enough for the championship. It´s yet to see though, if he´s Slade´s type of player.

I think slade should trying playing him up top with kenwyne against millwall, just don't ever play him in a two man midfield or on the wing against a decent winger and he'll be fine
BanterLad115

Postby BanterLad115 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 pm

LonCar wrote:

Yep, you could say Eikrem wasn't given a chance but surely the idea is for players to impress in training and take their chances when they get some minutes?
Mats is different gravy. Must keep him. A bit inconsistent at the minute but lots of young players go through a slump, his talent is unquestionable. Hope Slade shows some faith in him don't want him benched all the time to the extent where he wants to leave in january.

eikrem did get an amazing hatrick in the reserves not so long ago, I want to see him given one last chance but with whitts and gunnar in form, it isn't going to happen.
BanterLad115

Return to General Chat