Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City looking at Chesterfield player

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:15 pm

One of my work mates has just told me we're looking at Sam Morsy, who I believe is a central midfielder.

Surely got to be aiming higher than this, a player who's just been promoted from Division 2.

Re: Cardiff City looking at Chesterfield player

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Yes I know why aren't we trying to get messi

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:19 pm

I agree if that is the case.

The trouble is that Russell's Slade's area of knowledge and expertise regarding players lies in Leagues 1 and 2. He undoubtedly knows what to look for in a player who will be good enough in those two divisions.

Does he know what to look for in a player who can contribute at the top end of the Championship and beyond?

I suppose we are about to find out.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Denzil wrote:Yes I know why aren't we trying to get messi

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we get Messi but would you be happy if all of our future signings came from teams in League 1 or below?

Do you honestly think that Slade can identify enough players currently playing in League 1 or below to form a team which can get promoted to the Premier League?

I really hope he'll unearth some gems or even players with a bit of fight in them but if we are going to be looking solely at players in leagues below us I do not see how we can hope to progress.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I would hope he would try and get the best players from the lower leagues.

Lots of players are capable of making the step up given the chance.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Slade does not need to find a whole team from the lower leagues, just 3 or 4 players to go with the ones we already have

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:20 pm

My friend has said today...

Sam morsy is the best CM I've ever seen in a Chesterfield shirt :) very strong, great tackler and hardly ever gives the ball away! Please don't take him from us!,

The only drawback with him is that he gets quite a few injuries, but its expected because he likes his 50/50 challenges

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Get used to it, we won't be spending big on players for quite some time.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 pm

davids wrote:
Denzil wrote:Yes I know why aren't we trying to get messi

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we get Messi but would you be happy if all of our future signings came from teams in League 1 or below?

Do you honestly think that Slade can identify enough players currently playing in League 1 or below to form a team which can get promoted to the Premier League?

I really hope he'll unearth some gems or even players with a bit of fight in them but if we are going to be looking solely at players in leagues below us I do not see how we can hope to progress.

It's one player I'm sure he's not going to recruit 11 players from league two don't worry your self.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:19 pm

mmmmm norwich built a side of lower league players (not sure how many but several) under lambert what happened?? promotion to premier!!! and didnt do badly 1st season :thumbup:

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:mmmmm norwich built a side of lower league players (not sure how many but several) under lambert what happened?? promotion to premier!!! and didnt do badly 1st season :thumbup:

Exactly. :ayatollah:

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Wolfpac wrote:One of my work mates has just told me we're looking at Sam Morsy, who I believe is a central midfielder.

Surely got to be aiming higher than this, a player who's just been promoted from Division 2.

:o :shock: :shock:

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Plenty of good players in the lower leagues.

Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Think I am correct in saying Britt Assombalonga was playing in league 1 last season :thumbup: .

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:Think I am correct in saying Britt Assombalonga was playing in league 1 last season :thumbup: .

Grant Holt, Kevin Phillips, Ian Wright,Charlie Austin, Danny Ings , Jamie Vardy ,Rickie Lambert,John Ruddy, Dwight Gayle, Dean Whitehead, Jimmy Bullard, Jason Roberts, Jason Macateer, Steve Finnan.

Just to name a few so don't knot it :?

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:06 am

When Southampton were in League 1 they had Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Jose Fonte and Jason Puncheon in their squad - and all of them are thriving in the Premier League.

If this is a sign that Russell Slade only knows his way about League 1 and 2, that could be a problem. But I don't think it is.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:05 am

adamt958 wrote:My friend has said today...

Sam morsy is the best CM I've ever seen in a Chesterfield shirt :) very strong, great tackler and hardly ever gives the ball away! Please don't take him from us!,

The only drawback with him is that he gets quite a few injuries, but its expected because he likes his 50/50 challenges

People were saying Adeyemi was the best midfielder ever not long ago.............