Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

At This Time Should Whitts Be in The Team?

You may select 1 option

View results

' Peter Whittingham '

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Two conflicting articles in the press today regarding Whitts. One reporter calls for him to be dropped whilst the other says that Whitts is crucial to Cardiff City.

Would you want to see Whitts as a starter or non starter at this time? I think that he should be played in an attacking role in front of some solid defensive midfielders.

Re: Peter Whittingham

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Some mental things written, half our goals came from set plays in the promotion season and he from a deep lying central midfield position has scored 2, how many has matts scored playing in an attacking role....

Square pegs in round holes all this year, left side of midfield for me with fabio giving the pace, diagonal ball to KJ, striker with KG - Job done

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:32 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Some mental things written, half our goals came from set plays in the promotion season and he from a deep lying central midfield position has scored 2, how many has matts scored playing in an attacking role....

Square pegs in round holes all this year, left side of midfield for me with fabio giving the pace, diagonal ball to KJ, striker with KG - Job done

Drop kenwynne and whitts, both them players are reasons for why we are way off the pace so far this season imo.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:35 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Some mental things written, half our goals came from set plays in the promotion season and he from a deep lying central midfield position has scored 2, how many has matts scored playing in an attacking role....

My God you are the tactical genius we have been missing. :roll:

Re: ' Peter Whittingham '

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Some absolutely nonsensical claims being made about this man's ability and status. Reasonable player without question but past his sell by date. His nonchalant, languid, gritless style is a liability in any system. His occasional good crosses and corners do little to counterbalance the tempo and momentun we lose with his presence. As with all good players there is a time to recognise their past contribution but move on confidently to the future.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm

whitts has lost a huge amount of confidence since Malky thought he would be a good defensive midfielder.

He can do well for us again but it won't be in a 2 man midfield.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Still a good player, becoming the latest scapegoat, it will be really interesting to see what Slade thinks first match ???

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 pm

I am thinking he is on the wane, he was never a natural athlete remember, a great technician though :ayatollah:

I think we owe it him to let him contribute for seasons to come, but as a squad player, the way Hibbert plays for Everton out of nowhere now and again.

SuperKev & Hudds should never of left!!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes all the way,class act when played in right position.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm

drop him....simply adds nothing to the team,a luxury we cant afford.. :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:01 am

BlueMagic wrote:

Drop kenwynne and whitts, both them players are reasons for why we are way off the pace so far this season imo.

The one thing that the opposition cannot legislate against is.. pace!
Neither Whittingham or KJ have that, hence, whenever the ball is played to them everything slows down and the opposition have time to re-group themselves.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:30 am

If he's that special a player then where have the bids come in for him over the past 2 seasons? I thought he was at best an average PL player last season - and many would say below average! For example, Jordan Mutch stepped up in the PL and was our best player. We all know he's good at free kicks, but that simply is not enough.. I've read so many times on here that he's played out of position all too often and that he should be played more in an attacking role, but I don't buy into this point of view. The midfield need to be sorted and beefed up, as the possession in matches has been appalling for such a talented squad.
Whittingham has got the quality, but is not consistent enough to warrant a place week in week out.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:54 am

Has no penetration and often slows play down by farting about with it playing dead 5 yard balls sideways.
His free kicks and corners are normally superb, but of late even these have been poor. More often than not they don't clear the first man - and if they do they sail too far over everyone. Can't remember the last time I saw the ball whipped in with pace.
If, and it's a big IF, if he is to play, then he must play in an attacking role as defending is not one of his strong points.

Personally, I'd have him on the bench. Doing the old McPhail role. Coming on to slow the game down and steady the ship.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:40 am

Ketteringblues wrote:Has no penetration and often slows play down by farting about with it playing dead 5 yard balls sideways.
His free kicks and corners are normally superb, but of late even these have been poor. More often than not they don't clear the first man - and if they do they sail too far over everyone. Can't remember the last time I saw the ball whipped in with pace.
If, and it's a big IF, if he is to play, then he must play in an attacking role as defending is not one of his strong points.

Personally, I'd have him on the bench. Doing the old McPhail role. Coming on to slow the game down and steady the ship.

His assist for Morrisons header the other week was preety pacy ?

Also whitts has assisted or socred more than half of all our goals this season,

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 am

The way Whitts gets treated is beyond disgraceful, he's a winger, if you ask him this he will tell you.

He plays CM when Managers ask him too, he doesn't pretend to be a player who is good in the air, and good in a tackle. Constantly played in CM with different players, never able to get a partnership going.

Why do we play a man who got 20 plus goals in a season left midfield in a CM two? Think what you want, but Solskjaer not only ruined Whitts confidence by being tactically inept, but also ruined many other players.

Have said this before, but the way our fan base treats him is a disgrace, bellers knew what a fantastic player Whitts was, and how he was on a completely different wave length to most the other squad members. Anyone remember Ben Turner publicly saying Whitts was far superior to anyone else he had ever played with? Whitts ideal position is behind the striker, yet hes constantly deployed at defensive midfield, why?

Will still get the most assists this season as per, and will chip in with 7-8 goals even if he continues to play in this position.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 am

cecilccfc wrote:The way Whitts gets treated is beyond disgraceful, he's a winger, if you ask him this he will tell you.

He plays CM when Managers ask him too, he doesn't pretend to be a player who is good in the air, and good in a tackle. Constantly played in CM with different players, never able to get a partnership going.

Why do we play a man who got 20 plus goals in a season left midfield in a CM two? Think what you want, but Solskjaer not only ruined Whitts confidence by being tactically inept, but also ruined many other players.

Have said this before, but the way our fan base treats him is a disgrace, bellers knew what a fantastic player Whitts was, and how he was on a completely different wave length to most the other squad members. Anyone remember Ben Turner publicly saying Whitts was far superior to anyone else he had ever played with? Whitts ideal position is behind the striker, yet hes constantly deployed at defensive midfield, why?

Will still get the most assists this season as per, and will chip in with 7-8 goals even if he continues to play in this position.

:clap:

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:30 am

cecilccfc wrote:The way Whitts gets treated is beyond disgraceful, he's a winger, if you ask him this he will tell you.

I agree with much of this, and particularly the disgraceful way he is treated by some fans. It seems that some fans just need to have a whipping boy, and his laid back style make him an easy target. But I am not sure that I would call him a 'winger'. I don't like 'wingers' without pace. The trouble is I am not totally sure of his best position, and I fear that that is the problem. Successive managers play him because he has such great attributes, but nobody has nailed down how best to utilize them.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:37 am

For me Whittingham best position is a central attacking midfield player.

From the half way line he can pick a pass and when near the goal has the quality to strike an impressive shot. However I do believe he needs to be supported by a hard tackling partner and he just does get that at the moment.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 am

Man of Harlech wrote:

I agree with much of this, and particularly the disgraceful way he is treated by some fans. It seems that some fans just need to have a whipping boy, and his laid back style make him an easy target. But I am not sure that I would call him a 'winger'. I don't like 'wingers' without pace. The trouble is I am not totally sure of his best position, and I fear that that is the problem. Successive managers play him because he has such great attributes, but nobody has nailed down how best to utilize them.

Dave Jones came closest

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:41 am

Agree totally.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 am

Slade get on the blower to DJ as he is still one of the most talented in our squad

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:21 pm

That's what you call a poll! Split 50/50 on whether Whitts should be in the team.

I would be surprised if Slade does not start Whitts against Forest. I would like to see him in a more advanced role where he would chip in with more goals.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:For me Whittingham best position is a central attacking midfield player.

From the half way line he can pick a pass and when near the goal has the quality to strike an impressive shot. However I do believe he needs to be supported by a hard tackling partner and he just does get that at the moment.

Yes, Exactly. Get him attacking or get him off.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:38 pm

At the moment City fans are 50/50 .

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Forever Blue wrote:At the moment City fans are 50/50 .

So really Slade can't win!! Whatever he does half the fans will disagree. Blimey, tough gig.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:At the moment City fans are 50/50 .

So really Slade can't win!! Whatever he does half the fans will disagree. Blimey, tough gig.

Depends if we win or not. :ayatollah:

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Dave jones was the only man to play whittingham in what I believe is his best position and boy did it show

He cannot play in CM Mackay done well to get him playing there and tackling a bit etc but games still passed him by needs to be higher up the pitch but that in itself now strikes a problem as you have matts and ravel who will both be possibly better in that position and if you play two behind the striker you need two DM's and that leaves no option for wingers so you need a complete formation overhaul which is a real problem

Slade will play 4-4-2 he has already stated this I think in an interview

My guess is this

GK- Marshall

RB- Brayford
CB- Manga
CB- Morrison/turner
LB- Fabio

RM- Noone
DM- Gunnarson
AM- Morrison
LM- Pilkington

ST- Jones
ST- Le fondre

I see that being our side most weeks to be honest unless maybe Dikagio can get fit and matts pushes for a start, I don't see whitts getting into a formation like that unless he plays on the left or slade goes 4-4-2 flat not diamond

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:55 pm

smakerzthebluebird wrote:Dave jones was the only man to play whittingham in what I believe is his best position and boy did it show

He cannot play in CM Mackay done well to get him playing there and tackling a bit etc but games still passed him by needs to be higher up the pitch but that in itself now strikes a problem as you have matts and ravel who will both be possibly better in that position and if you play two behind the striker you need two DM's and that leaves no option for wingers so you need a complete formation overhaul which is a real problem

Slade will play 4-4-2 he has already stated this I think in an interview

My guess is this

GK- Marshall

RB- Brayford
CB- Manga
CB- Morrison/turner
LB- Fabio

RM- Noone
DM- Gunnarson
AM- Morrison
LM- Pilkington

ST- Jones
ST- Le fondre

I see that being our side most weeks to be honest unless maybe Dikagio can get fit and matts pushes for a start, I don't see whitts getting into a formation like that unless he plays on the left or slade goes 4-4-2 flat not diamond

Adam, I think yr right Whitts was at his best under DJ.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:03 pm

I've had a long think and I've come to the conclusion that if we drop Whittingham we need to have Noone + Daehli on free-kick duty. Noone to have a crack at goal and Daehli to float the ball into the box. I say Noone because of a free-kick he scored against Bolton at the end of our promotion season which was spot on and I'm confident he can do it time and time again.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:

Dave Jones by far by playing him regularly in his best position, regardless of pace you cant argue with Stat's on the wing imo.

Such a shame how much he gets abused, but everyone has an opinion. As I've said before, this is a man who was touted by 4-5 PL clubs and always stayed loyal, yes he's on good money and has had three great contracts since he's been here but one of our most consistent performers for years.

One of the few players who will stay down here when he retires, a genuine fan IMO.