Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Le Fondre, Maynard, Macheda

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 pm

The excitement of signing the 2 strikers in the title was brilliant and I thought Ole could really cause some damage against teams with these after Pre Season but was I the only one questioning how you start players like Le Fondre on the wing? Like common sense tells you this guy would be alongside Jones at Blackburn with Maynard on the bench, At first that game I thought 3 up top is exciting but then as the game started I thought why have all strikers on the pitch and none on the bench.. then Norwich Macheda on the wing?

I honestly see no sense with it like Macheda v Norwich on the wing? Wolves away where he started the same kind of mould strikers up top.. Ole was the master of his own downfall.. Wolves away we got battered and it could of been less of a battering if he started Jones.

I really hope Le Fondre gets a chance in the right position and he is used to his strengths. I can't help but have sympathy with him the way he has been used and I hope Slade can transform one or two of our strikers to be banging them in like Jones. :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Re: Le Fondre, Maynard, Macheda

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Well said..... All of our strikers available are capable of scoring goals.. Maynard has proven at this level he can, even on loan at Wigan last yr he did well. Macheda scored some very Important goals for brum while le fondre has scored at all levels..

Regularly playing is what a striker needs to score goals... Our downfall is that we prob have too many to accommodate. In my opinion we should be using two strikers and settling them in to form a partnership.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:12 pm

I'd move Maynard on and give the others a chance.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 pm

It's a shame really because I think Jones and Le Fondre could have a great partnership.

I hope Slade tries it out.

My opinion is that you can't drop Jones, he does a lot of work defensively as well as his goals.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:The excitement of signing the 2 strikers in the title was brilliant and I thought Ole could really cause some damage against teams with these after Pre Season but was I the only one questioning how you start players like Le Fondre on the wing? Like common sense tells you this guy would be alongside Jones at Blackburn with Maynard on the bench, At first that game I thought 3 up top is exciting but then as the game started I thought why have all strikers on the pitch and none on the bench.. then Norwich Macheda on the wing?

I honestly see no sense with it like Macheda v Norwich on the wing? Wolves away where he started the same kind of mould strikers up top.. Ole was the master of his own downfall.. Wolves away we got battered and it could of been less of a battering if he started Jones.

I really hope Le Fondre gets a chance in the right position and he is used to his strengths. I can't help but have sympathy with him the way he has been used and I hope Slade can transform one or two of our strikers to be banging them in like Jones. :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

We seem to play a lot of players out of position. Whitts hasn't played AM since 2009/10 when he scored 22 plus 10 assists in the League; Offsidewingie was played as a winger and was crap, then Stoke play him as a striker and he looks a much better player; Daehli looked crap on the wing, but is excellent as an AM or CM; and you have already mentioned Le Fondre, Maynard and Macheda as wingers instead of strikers.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 am

Odemwingie has played wide for Stoke and Nigeria in the World Cup. He just wasn't given enough confidence with us. He's a class player. We've looked so much better playing 4-4-1-1,and hope to see Ravel playing 'in the hole' regularly soon.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:43 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:It's a shame really because I think Jones and Le Fondre could have a great partnership.

I hope Slade tries it out.

My opinion is that you can't drop Jones, he does a lot of work defensively as well as his goals.

This is a must with Ravel / Daehli playing just behind them ...... BUT this then depends on City having a very strong midfield 3 which at present I don't think we have the right balance . Mr Slade may sort this out but would this then work with Noone and Pilkington also in the team ?? That then means Le Fondre dropping to the bench for a 4411 formation .

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:45 am

It's all good thinking of 2 up front, if it would work great, BUT the question is wether we can get the right pairing working in centre midfield. Pointless playing 2 up front if we are gonna lose the battle in midfield and create nothing for these strikers either...
If we play 4-4-2 there's no way whittingham can be played as it just dosent work with him imo.
The only way I see a 4-4-2 working is if we play gunnarsson and ravel Morrison in there together.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:05 am

Totally agree with martyn and blue magic the problem starts with the balance of our midfield. If a team starts to get overrun especially at home when coming up against a five man midfield we tend to drop a striker back to the wing. I don't think our midfield is flexible enough to adapt to different roles.As people have stated dhaeli is not a winger end of and if he can't find a place in the centre then on the bench you go.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 am

If Slades preferred system is a 442 then he is going to have to sort this out straight away. I do think if you have 4 good midfielders and the front men work hard and I know it's a cliché but defend from the front then this can help us getting overrun in the middle of the park. Wether we have the players is another matter we certainly have enough.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Slade apparently played 4-5-1 all last season anyway so I think he will go with this.