Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

City defender signs 2 year contract extension

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Cardiff City centre-back Matt Connolly signs two-year contract extension with the Bluebirds

Wednesday 01st October 2014

The 27-year-old will remain with the Bluebirds until 2017

Cardiff City centre-back Matt Connolly has signed a new two-year contract extension to keep him with the Bluebirds until June 2017.

The 27-year-old barely featured during last season’s Premier League campaign – making just three league appearances.

But he has enjoyed a resurgence this term, with a string of impressive performances in the heart of the defence.

The Bluebirds have also called on Connolly’s versatility when needed by deploying him in the right-back position.

Re: City defender signs 2 year contract extension

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 pm

I had my doubts about Connolly. He for me never was and should never be a RB. When Malky played him at CB at times he looked excellent and others completely lost. I think the fact he has mostly played CB has helped him and he has been excellent this season. Fully deserves his new deal and for me first choice alongside Manga

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I had my doubts about Connolly. He for me never was and should never be a RB. When Malky played him at CB at times he looked excellent and others completely lost. I think the fact he has mostly played CB has helped him and he has been excellent this season. Fully deserves his new deal and for me first choice alongside Manga

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Connolly deserves it, he's played consistently well so far.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Connolly and Manga. Those should be the ones starting every game if fit.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Dve wrote:Connolly and Manga. Those should be the ones starting every game if fit.

Agree.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:51 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:Connolly deserves it, he's played consistently well so far.

:thumbup:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Good news. Always rated Matthew Connolly, especially as a central defender :bluescarf:

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:17 am

Earlier this evening Cardiff City confirmed that versatile defender Matt Connelly had signed a new deal at the club keeping him with us until the summer of 2017.

Having joined us from Queen's Park Rangers back in 2012, Connelly more than played his part in our promotion winning season of 2012-13 as we exited the Championship for the Premiership, but injury got in the way of his progress and he only returned properly to fitness over the summer, and has again been a key part of the team so far this term.

He has now made 49 appearances for the club, scoring five goals.

Speaking to the Official Site after the paperwork on the deal had been done, he said.

'I'm delighted to have committed myself to Cardif for another two seasons beyond this one at least. There's been a great camaraderie since I first came here and the ambition to be successful is as strong as it's always been.'

Read more: http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z3EwTZy33E

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:45 am

Dve wrote:Connolly and Manga. Those should be the ones starting every game if fit.

Agree. Said it many times.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm happy to read that! :bluescarf: