Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" VINCENT TANS INTERVIEW PART 3 "

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:29 am

" Vincent Tan has no regrets about changing the club's colour from blue to red."

Wednesday 1st Oct 2014

Vincent Tan remains optimistic at Cardiff City despite problems.

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan admits he is unsure if he would have taken control of the club if he knew of the issues he would face in his time in charge.

He also told Sky Sports News HQ’s Jim White in Kuala Lumpur that he has no regrets about changing the club's colour from blue to red.

Tan said: “Maybe if I'd known it was so difficult and all the problems that we'd face, maybe I wouldn't have invested.

“But having said that, it's a challenge and I believe that eventually all this will end well, and I believe I can make this investment profitable.

“All my friends think I'm crazy and think that it's impossible to make it profitable, but time will tell.

“(I’ve invested) £160/170million. Most people know I put in £6million when my business partner Mr Chang became a director of Cardiff in 2010. He persuaded me and said the club were doing well and going to make the play-offs and all I'd need to invest was £6million.

“But after the £6million, they actually got to the playoffs against Blackpool at Wembley and that was actually the first football match in my life and after that I got bitten by the football bug.
“All my friends think I'm crazy and think that it's impossible to make it profitable, but time will tell.

“I found it very exciting, very interesting. 90,000 people cheering, full of energy, although we lost 3-2.

“So after that, I put in, I think, £20million and said that's enough and said I'm willing to put in maybe £100million if I'm able to change the colour from blue to red and I said red's my lucky colour and also said to them it's the national symbol, the national flag of Wales is red and it also has a red dragon so I'd like to use that and the red dragon (badge).

“I didn’t like the bluebird. I said take off the bluebird and finally we had a compromise and we kept the bluebird flying underneath the dragon.

“After everything was agreed, I invested and gave money to buy players and then we got promoted. The year that we changed, we got promoted.

"So of course, there were a few factors. Those that love the manager say that it was because of him. Of course, those of us who are in business know that if I had not provided the £15million and we did not buy enough players, how can he get us promoted?”

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11704/9497456

Re: Tan no regrets about changing the club's colour from blu

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 am

So the reason we got promotion in his eyes was because we wore red :roll:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:58 am

ValeBlue wrote:So the reason we got promotion in his eyes was because we wore red :roll:

He didn't say that! :roll:

He did say Malky would probably not got us promoted without his investment, though!

Hard to argue with that TBF, but he does need to give Malky credit for pulling it all together, as it was (in reality) a 'team effort' which included him (Tan), Malky, the players, the back room staffs and the fans! :thumbup:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:00 am

Read the last sentence. ^^

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:03 am

Sven wrote:
ValeBlue wrote:So the reason we got promotion in his eyes was because we wore red :roll:

He didn't say that! :roll:

He did say Malky would probably not got us promoted without his investment, though!

Hard to argue with that TBF, but he does need to give Malky credit for pulling it all together, as it was (in reality) a 'team effort' which included him (Tan), Malky, the players, the back room staffs and the fans! :thumbup:

Chris, Tan has said many times that we only did well because of his lucky Red :lol:

Also, he keeps saying Malky only took us up because of the money,Leicester never use to go up and what happened with Ole, Ole was told and given what ever he wanted?

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:11 am

We also got relegated in red.
That was really lucky!

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 am

Looks like it was clear He financed the club, of £100 million for a change of colour board agreed and gave him the ok and we vilify tan.... Surely it's the previous boards fault for chasing the cash... Would it make difference if he changed the loan to shares... I very much doubt it

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 am

tynesideblue wrote: Surely it's the previous boards fault for chasing the cash..

And here is where it all comes down to.

The same board members that suck in one or two supporters who became their muppets.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:37 am

Nothing new on there. He just talks shit all of the time. You can't on the one hand say only money got us promoted and then on the other say the manager got us relegated. His comments re our bluebird are so disrespectful and arrogant and dismissive and just confirm what I suspected. Cardiffcity football club has just been replaced by a football club in Cardiff.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 am

I must admit I like the man less after reading this. If the rebrand was made because he thought it would benefit the club, then alright - still the wrong thing to do, but at least it would not look quite as selfish as using arguments like "red is my lucky colour" and "I didn´t like the bluebird". He is pissing on the club´s traditions, nothing less.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 am

Pat Turd wrote:Nothing new on there. He just talks shit all of the time. You can't on the one hand say only money got us promoted and then on the other say the manager got us relegated. His comments re our bluebird are so disrespectful and arrogant and dismissive and just confirm what I suspected. Cardiffcity football club has just been replaced by a football club in Cardiff.

good post :thumbup:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am

He has obviously been well advised before doing these interviews and there is not much in there that you can question apart from relying on luck too much.

I await counter interviews calling him out on a few things but I cannot see that happening.

We have to look at the previous owners and OURSELVES for the rebrand. He put riders on his investment and we bit.

As an owner he has freely invested and done very little wrong. I would only hold the debt to equity against him but even that is nothing more than most owners do.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 am

he was also quoted on the lines of as saying the fans need to see what the club would have been be like without my money. basically demanding applause, well i was happy with our tradition and club before him, allot more so than now.
True city fans will know what im getting at. Hes a sour man towards us fans, Let him sell, its what he wants. :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 am

The scum bag has openly admitted he doesn't like the bluebird symbol and changed to red because it is lucky and still some of you fawn over him like lost puppies because he has money. Jokers

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 am

Money is not everything. Hard to tell the players to bleed for a shirt everyone involved in the club seems to hate.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 am

Dve wrote:Money is not everything. Hard to tell the players to bleed for a shirt everyone involved in the club seems to hate.

The guy should have been told thanks but no thanks right in the beginning.

Unfortunately in today's game it IS all about money especially if you want to win and get success.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am

“I didn’t like the bluebird. I said take off the bluebird and finally we had a compromise and we kept the bluebird flying underneath the dragon."

The man has no shame!!!!! We are the bluebirds, we are Cardiff City, we are blue, we have tradition and history and he just says 'take it off' - no respect for us and the club! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 am

tynesideblue wrote:Looks like it was clear He financed the club, of £100 million for a change of colour board agreed and gave him the ok and we vilify tan.... Surely it's the previous boards fault for chasing the cash... Would it make difference if he changed the loan to shares... I very much doubt it

and there you have it in a nutshell :thumbup:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:51 am

These interviews are making him look even worse IMO!
He's got absolutely no idea ! . He may be successful in his other business but he will never succeed in football, he doesn't understand the basics, the morals, the traditions and the fans, and for those reasons whatever he does in football will end in failure! Surely when you run a business, you need to establish the core of that business, doesn't football start with a fan base? It's the core of our football club he has got disastrously wrong! And his attitude is to keep fighting this losing battle, with his lucky red!!

Keep the 1927 protest going and going, :) :bluescarf: we mustn't tire of it, and we most certainly mustn't sing his name, because he ain't changing us back to blue!

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:05 am

It's seems that no one on the board level discussed with tan about our history tradition and how the fan base would never accept the change of colour... New to footy and naive now were stuck with him until new owners can be found... So who's made the most profit in selling there shares to tan...

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:05 am

So without actually blurting it out, there wont be any kit compromise at all. Completely disrespectful to say he hated the Bluebird and wanted rid of it but had to compromise to keep us quiet. Does he not realise without us going and without premier league football theres no money coming in, and tbh if i never set foot inside the CCS ever again (well until we are the bluebirds again, whatever division that may be) i wouldnt miss any sleep at all. Why even buy the club at all if he didnt like any of it? Should have bought the carrot crunchers instead, they play in red. The club is Cardiff City in name only now, the club is not ours, its Tans play thing. The gypo's must be pissing thier pants at us. :(

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 am

Sladey wrote:So without actually blurting it out, there wont be any kit compromise at all. Completely disrespectful to say he hated the Bluebird and wanted rid of it but had to compromise to keep us quiet. Does he not realise without us going and without premier league football theres no money coming in, and tbh if i never set foot inside the CCS ever again (well until we are the bluebirds again, whatever division that may be) i wouldnt miss any sleep at all. Why even buy the club at all if he didnt like any of it? Should have bought the carrot crunchers instead, they play in red. The club is Cardiff City in name only now, the club is not ours, its Tans play thing. The gypo's must be pissing thier pants at us. :(

Ironically, our new manager's old club Leyton Orient would of been perfect. Red with a dragon crest and London based

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am

ThomasC wrote:
Sladey wrote:So without actually blurting it out, there wont be any kit compromise at all. Completely disrespectful to say he hated the Bluebird and wanted rid of it but had to compromise to keep us quiet. Does he not realise without us going and without premier league football theres no money coming in, and tbh if i never set foot inside the CCS ever again (well until we are the bluebirds again, whatever division that may be) i wouldnt miss any sleep at all. Why even buy the club at all if he didnt like any of it? Should have bought the carrot crunchers instead, they play in red. The club is Cardiff City in name only now, the club is not ours, its Tans play thing. The gypo's must be pissing thier pants at us. :(

Ironically, our new manager's old club Leyton Orient would of been perfect. Red with a dragon crest and London based

Makes me wonder why he even bothered? Or even who told him it would be a great idea? What would Chelsea do if Ambromavich said lets turn you white, with a red rose and english cross on your badge, cause you know its your national identity and your in the capital. Dont worry about being blue and all that, thats so the last 100 years ago time to move on. Stamford bridge would be burnt down before he finished his sentance, but like dicks we fell for it :(

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 am

Jules wrote:
tynesideblue wrote:Looks like it was clear He financed the club, of £100 million for a change of colour board agreed and gave him the ok and we vilify tan.... Surely it's the previous boards fault for chasing the cash... Would it make difference if he changed the loan to shares... I very much doubt it

The previous board stitched up the fans, totally agree. Tan was asking for the rebrand not knowing the football culture

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 am

Sladey wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Makes me wonder why he even bothered? Or even who told him it would be a great idea? What would Chelsea do if Ambromavich said lets turn you white, with a red rose and english cross on your badge, cause you know its your national identity and your in the capital. Dont worry about being blue and all that, thats so the last 100 years ago time to move on. Stamford bridge would be burnt down before he finished his sentance, but like dicks we fell for it :(

Such a massive ego to want to mould the club in your own image. If Tan starts a new franchise in the US which has been mooted, then he can do that, put dragons and red all over the place, up to him.. You are right about Abramovich, is an amazing owner fair play, even brought Mourinho back so clearly thinks about what is best for his club above his own ego.

Actually, Ambramovich has never once craved attention, or ask that the trophies won be solely dedicated to him, a really good owner.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:25 am

"I didn't like the bluebird".......what a nerve! Its one thing making a supposed business case for the rebrand but to pour scorn on our traditions is disgusting and frankly shows a lack of class! Haven't we all met 'em before?.....bigheaded brash Johnnies suddenly cime into dough but having as much cultural awareness as a baboon's arse! And all this meticulously prepared posturing with a fawning Sky News crew is just "candy floss" marketing attempts by a rich megalomaniac determined to force through his own agenda. Its the height of bloated vanity!

All this brings to my mind the analogy of some rich, cunning man offering to help a poor man in his plight to give his daughter the life he could not afford to give her. The rich man says......let me take her off your hands; I will give her all the riches in the world and ensures she grows up to be a beautiful and successful lady. But in turn you must allow me to change her name and her appearance because I do not like her looks! She will be successful but she will be your daughter no more, she is now mine! :evil:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am

ThomasC wrote:
Sladey wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Such a massive ego to want to mould the club in your own image. If Tan starts a new franchise in the US which has been mooted, then he can do that, put dragons and red all over the place, up to him.. You are right about Abramovich, is an amazing owner fair play, even brought Mourinho back so clearly thinks about what is best for his club above his own ego.

Actually, Ambramovich has never once craved attention, or ask that the trophies won be solely dedicated to him, a really good owner.

the crazy thing is Tan actually thinks hes gonna make a profit eventually. Kill the clubs traditions, blatenly alienate his paying customers, and make a fool out of the whole of Cardiff City. But he still think hes gonna make a profit, good luck with that one ;)

Abromovich is a shining example to any club owner that the club you own should be at heart way before making a profit is. Wish he'd buy us, dont even want his money, just a decent owner who respects his club.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:37 am

ThomasC wrote:
Jules wrote:

The previous board stitched up the fans, totally agree. Tan was asking for the rebrand not knowing the football culture

If I was a small time investor that say had a couple of million pounds wrapped up in this club I would have been mighty glad when Mr Tan stepped in to save us and my money and then when he offered to buy me out I'd have taken it at any price and so would most if not all on here.Talk is cheap when its not your money.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 am

How can he say malky wouldn't have taken us up without spending 15 million on players he'd taken us to the play offs the season before, shows how little he knows about burnley, palace , Blackpool and Swansea have all been promoted in resent seasons without spending 15 million on players

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
Jules wrote:

If I was a small time investor that say had a couple of million pounds wrapped up in this club I would have been mighty glad when Mr Tan stepped in to save us and my money and then when he offered to buy me out I'd have taken it at any price and so would most if not all on here.Talk is cheap when its not your money.

Yes, self-preservation of wealth is important to everyone. At sad state of affairs.