Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Daehli. Terrible on the wing.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Daehli. Terrible on the wing. Awesome playing CAM, just in behind the striker. I think we all see the trend here, hopefully Slade will too!

Re: Daehli. Terrible on the wing.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 am

Lordsheep wrote:Daehli. Terrible on the wing. Awesome playing CAM, just in behind the striker. I think we all see the trend here, hopefully Slade will too!

I would like to see him behind the strikers as well, but I have not forgotten that he actually had quite a few very good performances on the wing, while we only saw him playing central for half a game. So, I would not be that categorical about it.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

Lordsheep wrote:Daehli. Terrible on the wing. Awesome playing CAM, just in behind the striker. I think we all see the trend here, hopefully Slade will too!

I'd disagree... Left wing I prefer him on (though I'm not saying he does a BAD job in the center)

Apart from the last game he's put in some good work for us and I still remember going to watch his first game and being optimistic about him running down the left.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:17 am

Has to play in the middle. Hes our best passer, best technical player and someone we need on the ball to get our game ticking. Every teams best passer plays central.

Paul scholes, xavi, gerrard, pirlo, all central when best.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 am

We have a six foot three striker, how many crosses has matts put in ?

He does not think like a winger/left midfield, similar to Whitts who does not think like a central midfielder. Both have the skill set on paper to perform the role and are excellent footballers, but thier instincts are not there.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:27 am

I could agree that his future is as ACM, but don't think its the position that is the main problem, its the way we play football at the moment. If you think about it Daehli has played most of his games for us and previous clubs as a winger, and has done very well.
He was very good for us in the PL and i think he was very good on saturday, when shifted out wide after ravel came on.
The funny thing is that you look at stats from last season, we actually had more possession at the end of the PL season than this season- our possession stats are woeful this season tbf.
The reason being imo that last season we had players like Medel and Whitts at our disposal. These days we are playing with Gunnar and Adeyemi, both inferior on the ball, prone to hoofing and frequently loosing the ball. Even Whitts as good as he is, has a tendency to play these long balls from a deep position this season,in his defence he often lacks options. So we are back to what seems to be a main problem this season, lack of mobility, ability on the ball in midfield.
Both Daehli and Ravel like to collect the ball deep and build attacks with quick short passes. On saturday they were playing some of the most adventurous football this season. They were weaving little patterns with Fabio, even Whitts looked more adventurous than he's done most of this seasons. Gunnarson is not capable of this style of football, with him and adeyemi in central midfield we tend to play route 1. Players like Daehli are just wasted in this style of football.
Even ravel couldn't get on the ball last night, because people all around him were hoofing it all over the place. Football is a team sport, if we want to play fluid football we will need to pack the team with players that are comfortable on the ball, especially in midfield.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 am

^I meant last season we had Medel and Mutch in midfield :lol:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 am

he's not a winger, but in this country creative players are stuck out on the wing so you can play with 2 up front.

i'd drop him or play him behind a striker in a 4-5-1.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am

LonCar wrote:^I meant last season we had Medel and Mutch in midfield :lol:

Yeah, but with Medel I awlays got the impression that if he really needed to he would pull a knife out of his sock and shank somebody...

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 pm

He's had some good games on the wing, but v. Sheffield Wednesday , playing 'in the hole' and roaming, he was a revelation.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 pm

100% agree. Wasted out there. Has to play in the hole and be given a free reign.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:29 pm

I think when he's been in possesion of the ball on the right hand side he's been worse. I dont think he has enough natural pace to go on the outside so gets a bit stuck. Left wing i've seen him put in a good few shifts. His quick feet and ability to cut inside with quick acceleration works in his favour.

I find when he plays through the middle he doesnt tend to see a lot of the ball, and ends up drifting out wide anyway. Its a shame because he has to play! a player like him really needs the time on the field, he has the potential to be world class one day! :bluescarf:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:37 pm

np20 wrote:Has to play in the middle. Hes our best passer, best technical player and someone we need on the ball to get our game ticking. Every teams best passer plays central.

I've been trying to get this through to people for ages. The kid is totally wasted out wide. He has the vision to play our striker in. When him and Morrison were combining on Saturday you could see that they were on a totally different level to everyone else on the pitch.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Blue Legend wrote:
np20 wrote:Has to play in the middle. Hes our best passer, best technical player and someone we need on the ball to get our game ticking. Every teams best passer plays central.

I've been trying to get this through to people for ages. The kid is totally wasted out wide. He has the vision to play our striker in. When him and Morrison were combining on Saturday you could see that they were on a totally different level to everyone else on the pitch.

Spot on. Ravel or Daehli need to play together. You could see how Daehli grow in confidence when he played with Ravel because he was finally playing with someone that is on the same page.
I just hope Slade sees sense and retire old Gunnar from the no 10 position. Even if you play Ravel as no 10 and daehli out wide it will suit Daehli better because of the way Ravel plays football. Imao.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Everytime I log on I seem to see a new thread having a dig at Daehli. Leave him alone and let the kid develop.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:28 am

2blue2handle wrote:Everytime I log on I seem to see a new thread having a dig at Daehli. Leave him alone and let the kid develop.

Not slagging him off. If we played David Marshall on the wing he'd be terrible too! My point was that his best position is in the middle, and that playing him on the wing is a waste of his (very considerable) talent.