Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tan on Solskjaer: 'He disappointed me'

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Tan says Solskjaer's claims over a 'difference in philosophies' gave ammunition to the bluebirds owner's critics

Vincent Tan has claimed he felt let down by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after the Norwegian cited a ‘difference in philosophies’ for his Cardiff City exit – when he should have said ‘Thank You’.

Bluebirds owner Tan claimed Solskjaer was giving “ammunition” to the Malaysian’s critics by hinting at potential team interference in his farewell statement following an ill-fated eight months in charge of the club.

But, in the latest instalment of his interview with Sky Sports News, Tan claimed only poor results were behind Solskjaer’s exit and to suggest otherwise left the Malaysian disappointed having ignored advise to sack him earlier.

Tan also confirmed Solskjaer actually resigned from his post but admitted the former Manchester United striker’s tenure has made him determined to chose his own man as his successor after claiming little involvement in previous appointments.

“He disappointed me,” Tan told Sky Sports News. “Ole’s a nice guy, a good, famous footballer. Unfortunately it didn’t work out.

“Actually I supported him a lot. After relegation everybody wanted me to sack him. I decided to go on with him but it didn’t turn out well. Football results were against him, they weren’t in his favour.

“So he left. Mehmet spoke to him and he resigned – but I was quite disappointed with his statement after he left.

“I supported him so much but he gave a statement that (left me) so disappointed.

“He said we had a difference in philosophies. What philosophy? The philosophy for football manager is to win matches, stay in the league, be promoted? What are the different philosophies you are talking about?

“It gives the impression that a different philosophy maybe I interfere with him, maybe I do this or do that.

“There’s a lot of people out there waiting to criticise me. When you say something like this it gives them ammunition to say ‘Even Ole says he’s madcap, a lunatic’. No. I was disappointed. He should have said thank you very much and leave.

“The results are against you, everybody knows it. In fact I was so patient with him compared to what people around me were saying ‘sack him, sack him’ so it was disappointing.

“So I thought this time I better make my own choice so even if I am disappointed at least it is my decision.”

Tan has identified Russell Slade as the man he wants in instead of Solskjaer with the former Leyton Orient manager described by the club’s owner as being in a consultant role as they settle a legal wrangle with the League One side over his services.

WalesOnline have attempted to reach Solskjaer for comment

Re: Tan on Solskjaer: 'He disappointed me'

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 pm

I've been having a pop at Tan all morning, this one I am on the fence as it would make sense Ole wanting to blame someone other than himself for the dreadful results under his tenure.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm going to say it... I agree with Vincent Tan on this one :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

However, I'm pretty sure that Dalman said it was due to difference in philosophies too though...

I can't wait for VT to sell the club. There is chicken stock, there is beef stock - we are the laughing stock :lol:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Pretty hard for the bullshit merchants to jump on that.Whatever your opinion of this man its obvious that he's well above making cheap shots and conducts himself as a man that deserves respect.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Dalman said the same as ogs, differences in philosophy. So whatever it was they agreed on that one.
I always thought it was that tan wanted to bring in a dof.

Don't think it's fair to say ogs was trying to blame someone else. He apparently called for the meeting with himself,resigned and haven't heard anything from him since. He was a poor manager but at least he took responsibility instead of clinging on to his position like some managers do.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Tan on Tan

I'm a clown.
I like winding the fans up on the rebrand.
I will run this club into the ground
I await the conference league with crowds under a thousand.
I say again, me Vinny tan and I'm a clown

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Regardless if you like Tan or not you cannot argue his point!.

“He said we had a difference in philosophies. What philosophy? The philosophy for football manager is to win matches, stay in the league, be promoted? What are the different philosophies you are talking about?"

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I thought the philosophy Ole was referring to was bringing in a DoF.

I'm sure Tan talked about that before Oles departure. Most football managers don't want a DoF about and for valid reasons. I'm sure this is what Ole was going on about.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I can see tan appointing slade. slade having a bit of success and then tan will think he has the ultimate football knowledge and he knows better than anyone else

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I thought the philosophy Ole was referring to was bringing in a DoF.

I'm sure Tan talked about that before Oles departure. Most football managers don't want a DoF about and for valid reasons. I'm sure this is what Ole was going on about.

I think you are probably right with your comment above! :thumbup:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Solksjaer desperately needed a reason to justify his departure. I think he was advised he could exploit Tan's reputation by citing different philosophies as everyone would assume he meant Tan was interfering.

The reality is Solksjaer was a hopeless amateur and set the club back a long way. I don't agree with Tan on much, but I think he's being quite diplomatic here given the shambles Solksjaer created.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:12 pm

1899 wrote:Solksjaer desperately needed a reason to justify his departure. I think he was advised he could exploit Tan's reputation by citing different philosophies as everyone would assume he meant Tan was interfering.

The reality is Solksjaer was a hopeless amateur and set the club back a long way. I don't agree with Tan on much, but I think he's being quite diplomatic here given the shambles Solksjaer created.

But dalman said the same thing so is he making excuses for ogs too? Pretty sure ogs was referring to tan bringing in a dof.

I am not as anti tan as some here, but just feel tan is creating controversy where there was none here. Most people were impressed that this was an amicable split. The club doesn't need all these headlines. Sort out a new manager and stop banging on about Mallky and ogs.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm

LonCar wrote:
1899 wrote:Solksjaer desperately needed a reason to justify his departure. I think he was advised he could exploit Tan's reputation by citing different philosophies as everyone would assume he meant Tan was interfering.

But dalman said the same thing so is he making excuses for ogs too? Pretty sure ogs was referring to tan bringing in a dof.

I am not as anti tan as some here, but just feel tan is creating controversy where there was none here. Most people were impressed that this was an amicable split. The club doesn't need all these headlines. Sort out a new manager and stop banging on about Mallky and ogs.

Agreed :thumbup: I am certainly agreeing with this viewpoint.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:20 pm

MalagaCF wrote:Tan on Tan

I'm a clown.

Clearly you have no idea of the financial mess this club was in when he took control. Or do you just want to ignore the reality?

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:32 pm

I think VT has shot himself in the foot here because it was the official club statement which first mentioned this whole "Philosophy" thing.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/art ... 26286.aspx

Dalman says it's "Due to a difference in Philosophy of approach to the game" and OGS himself described it as "Our difference in philosophy of how to manage the club".

Quite why VT is disappointed with OGS baffles me because his business agreed to this statement being made public.

If you ask me OGS is clearly hinting that he was not prepared to accept the appointment of a DOF at the club, and who at the club decided to do that.

You can't have it all ways Vinnie.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm with old Vinnie on this one - Solskaer disappointed me too :(

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:01 pm

I think Tan is spot on with these comments

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Gavin wrote:Tan says Solskjaer's claims over a 'difference in philosophies' gave ammunition to the bluebirds owner's critics

Vincent Tan has claimed he felt let down by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after the Norwegian cited a ‘difference in philosophies’ for his Cardiff City exit – when he should have said ‘Thank You’.

Bluebirds owner Tan claimed Solskjaer was giving “ammunition” to the Malaysian’s critics by hinting at potential team interference in his farewell statement following an ill-fated eight months in charge of the club.

But, in the latest instalment of his interview with Sky Sports News, Tan claimed only poor results were behind Solskjaer’s exit and to suggest otherwise left the Malaysian disappointed having ignored advise to sack him earlier.

Tan also confirmed Solskjaer actually resigned from his post but admitted the former Manchester United striker’s tenure has made him determined to chose his own man as his successor after claiming little involvement in previous appointments.

“He disappointed me,” Tan told Sky Sports News. “Ole’s a nice guy, a good, famous footballer. Unfortunately it didn’t work out.

“Actually I supported him a lot. After relegation everybody wanted me to sack him. I decided to go on with him but it didn’t turn out well. Football results were against him, they weren’t in his favour.

“So he left. Mehmet spoke to him and he resigned – but I was quite disappointed with his statement after he left.

“I supported him so much but he gave a statement that (left me) so disappointed.

“He said we had a difference in philosophies. What philosophy? The philosophy for football manager is to win matches, stay in the league, be promoted? What are the different philosophies you are talking about?

“It gives the impression that a different philosophy maybe I interfere with him, maybe I do this or do that.

“There’s a lot of people out there waiting to criticise me. When you say something like this it gives them ammunition to say ‘Even Ole says he’s madcap, a lunatic’. No. I was disappointed. He should have said thank you very much and leave.

“The results are against you, everybody knows it. In fact I was so patient with him compared to what people around me were saying ‘sack him, sack him’ so it was disappointing.

“So I thought this time I better make my own choice so even if I am disappointed at least it is my decision.”

Tan has identified Russell Slade as the man he wants in instead of Solskjaer with the former Leyton Orient manager described by the club’s owner as being in a consultant role as they settle a legal wrangle with the League One side over his services.

WalesOnline have attempted to reach Solskjaer for comment

Different philosophy well all I can say is this malky gets the sack we were around 3rd from bottom in the prem.malky was defence hard to beat played on the counter. 3rd from bottom malky gets sacked ole comes in and states his style is free flowing attacking football. How the hell did we ever stand a chance staying in the prem changing the philosophy so late in the season and our first season in the prem 3rd from bottom. Tan employed ole to keep us up it was never going to work.

Tan did give ole a chance in the championship but I agree with tan it didn't work out he had to go.
You need a philosophy to play with at the club and each must be chosen to suit the clubs philosophy. Tans philosophy is win get promoted just shows he dont no shit about football.

His new appointment is odd so many good managers out there tried and tested at our level and higher tan goes for the gamble in a low league manager at a time when we need stability and together ness slade is odd tan is mad but hay I hope slade does well but sorry tan for me makes odd decisions and its because he doesn't get football.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:50 pm

I thought the agreement was not to comment on it before the final agreement was reaches? Ole even call off an announced press conference for that reason. I guess we´ll have to wait for Ole to comments to really know what he meant by differences in philosophy, but obviously he and Dalman is not referring to the same. But is this really such a big deal that Tan needs to have a go at Ole? A bit sensitive he is? No?

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
MalagaCF wrote:Tan on Tan

I'm a clown.

Clearly you have no idea of the financial mess this club was in when he took control. Or do you just want to ignore the reality?

Well said!!!!!

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 pm

That sums up ole for me a disappointment.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Tan said - "OLE is a better manager than MM" ;)

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Didn't VT also just say yes he makes suggestions on who to play.

That alone would eventually be a nagging difference of opinion in how to manage a team.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Svenman87 wrote:Didn't VT also just say yes he makes suggestions on who to play.

That alone would eventually be a nagging difference of opinion in how to manage a team.

Tan has always had his say with the team,weather on match day or before the game.
Sadly people will want a link or "where did you get your info" - proof please etc ...
I said the other day - i stick to links for info,due to the threats of the FA from info of years gone by,but of late - i find myself in a position of enough is enough !!! - Here is one for the road - From this year .

EXCLUSIVE: Tan steps in to address Cardiff in hotel before Spurs defeat... but team talk 'went down quite well' with players

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3EqKZPjQo

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 am

Svenman87 wrote:Didn't VT also just say yes he makes suggestions on who to play.

VT said he doesn't get involved in team selection, but that he does tell the manager that he expects to see the big money signings playing. Can't fault that either - I bet every owner is the same.

If you spent a large fortune on a "key" player for your manager, you'd expect him to play regularly wouldn't you? I'm guessing Tan is still a bit pissed about Cornelius.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:05 am

Tan says he´s disappointed with Ole because the statement that there was a difference in philosophy was like hinting that Tan himself interferes with the team selection. Then right after, he admits that he´s actually doing that, he he.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:12 am

KWest wrote:

VT said he doesn't get involved in team selection, but that he does tell the manager that he expects to see the big money signings playing. Can't fault that either - I bet every owner is the same.

If you spent a large fortune on a "key" player for your manager, you'd expect him to play regularly wouldn't you? I'm guessing Tan is still a bit pissed about Cornelius.

Maybe, but how do we know that he´s not also suggesting HIS signings to play?

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 am

ThomasC wrote:I've been having a pop at Tan all morning, this one I am on the fence as it would make sense Ole wanting to blame someone other than himself for the dreadful results under his tenure.

Both shite, none of them had cardiff in their hearts - TAN out!

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 am

as it goes Having listened to the Tan interviews, must admit he's so very bitter towards us fans, his heart is with his Bosnia Club by looks and he only sees the time left with us as a means to make profit! f him TAN OUT!

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 am

Ole: "I want to thank Vincent for giving me the opportunity to manage Cardiff City FC. He has my full respect and I really wish him all the best in his pursuit of making this football club successful. However, our difference in philosophy on how to manage the club made me decide to step aside and allow the Club to move forward in the direction Vincent wants."

Tan: "He should thank me instead!"

Well, alright..

But is Ole´s statement really about Tan interfering with team selection like Tan suggests in the interview? Can such interference really be described as a "direction"?

Can´t wait to hear Ole´s side of the story.