Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Laughable ? ? "

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:31 pm

BBC

Russell Slade Can Beat Arsene Wenger For Longevity – Cardiff Owner Vincent Tan

Monday, 29th September, 2014

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan is hoping that the club's incoming manager Russell Slade can beat the longevity of Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.

Slade recently resigned as Leyton Orient boss and is working as a consultant at Cardiff until he is cleared to become the club's new manager.

Tan is delighted with his impending managerial acquisition and believes Slade can take a leaf out of Wenger's book when it comes to his forthcoming spell at the Cardiff City Stadium.

"I hope Russell Slade can beat Arsene Wenger's record", Tan was quoted as saying by the BBC.

"We now have a little problem with Leyton Orient but that is being sorted out", the Cardiff owner continued.

Re: " Laughable ? ? "

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Was clearly meant tongue in cheek

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:41 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:Was clearly meant tongue in cheek

Was it f**k

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 pm

CantonJack wrote:

Was it f**k

So a new owner would keep Russell Slade when Tan said he'd sell up? Like f**k, add it up

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:09 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan wants to appoint Leyton Orient boss Russell Slade as manager in the hope he can usher in a new era of stability at the Welsh side and beat Arsene Wenger's long-service record at Arsenal.

Three managers have left since the Malaysian billionaire bought the Championship (second tier) club in 2010 and now Tan believes Slade is the man to stop the managerial merry-go-round.

Tan told Sky Sports that Cardiff's board of directors picked the last three managers and, following the resignation of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer earlier this month, he was taking the recruitment process into his own hands.

"He was identified by me," the 62-year-old Tan said of Slade, who tendered his resignation with third-tier Orient last Wednesday, in an interview broadcast on Monday.

"We now have a little problem with Leyton Orient but that is being sorted out.

"Dave Jones wasn't recruited by me. Malky Mackay wasn't recruited by me. In a way, Ole wasn't recruited by me. I said now, the next manager I will select and I think that he (Slade)will make a good manager for us.

"All I can say to the Cardiff fans is give him a chance, give him a break."

Solskjaer, the former Manchester United and Norway striker, was in charge at the Welsh club for less than eight months and after relegation from the Premier League last season endured a bad start to the current campaign.

Tan hopes Slade could one day beat the reign of Wenger, the longest-serving current manager in British soccer who has been at Arsenal for 18 years and counting.

"I hope Russell Slade can beat Arsene Wenger's record," he said.

The Malaysian recognised, however, that he might not be at the club to see that happen.

Tan said he was praying that Cardiff gained promotion back to the Premier League, at which point he would consider following the advice of friends and family to sell the club.

That would not see him leaving English soccer though, with Tan, who also owns Bosnia's Premiere League football club Sarajevo, saying he would buy another club nearby.

"If I sell Cardiff, I will buy another club in the UK," he explained.

"I love football. I'm looking to buy another club in Europe and then I may invest in a club in the US, in the MLS."

(Reporting By Sam Holden, editing by Alan Baldwin)

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:20 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:LONDON (Reuters) - Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan wants to appoint Leyton Orient boss Russell Slade as manager in the hope he can usher in a new era of stability at the Welsh side and beat Arsene Wenger's long-service record at Arsenal.

Three managers have left since the Malaysian billionaire bought the Championship (second tier) club in 2010 and now Tan believes Slade is the man to stop the managerial merry-go-round.

Tan told Sky Sports that Cardiff's board of directors picked the last three managers and, following the resignation of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer earlier this month, he was taking the recruitment process into his own hands.

"He was identified by me," the 62-year-old Tan said of Slade, who tendered his resignation with third-tier Orient last Wednesday, in an interview broadcast on Monday.

"We now have a little problem with Leyton Orient but that is being sorted out.

"Dave Jones wasn't recruited by me. Malky Mackay wasn't recruited by me. In a way, Ole wasn't recruited by me. I said now, the next manager I will select and I think that he (Slade)will make a good manager for us.

"All I can say to the Cardiff fans is give him a chance, give him a break."

Solskjaer, the former Manchester United and Norway striker, was in charge at the Welsh club for less than eight months and after relegation from the Premier League last season endured a bad start to the current campaign.

Tan hopes Slade could one day beat the reign of Wenger, the longest-serving current manager in British soccer who has been at Arsenal for 18 years and counting.

"I hope Russell Slade can beat Arsene Wenger's record," he said.

The Malaysian recognised, however, that he might not be at the club to see that happen.

Tan said he was praying that Cardiff gained promotion back to the Premier League, at which point he would consider following the advice of friends and family to sell the club.

That would not see him leaving English soccer though, with Tan, who also owns Bosnia's Premiere League football club Sarajevo, saying he would buy another club nearby.

"If I sell Cardiff, I will buy another club in the UK," he explained.

"I love football. I'm looking to buy another club in Europe and then I may invest in a club in the US, in the MLS."

(Reporting By Sam Holden, editing by Alan Baldwin)

Plus the Riddler,TG,Gethin Jenkins,Allan Whitley, Simon Lim and now Choo is in charge.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:28 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:
CantonJack wrote:

Was it f**k

So a new owner would keep Russell Slade when Tan said he'd sell up? Like f**k, add it up

Did you even watch the interview?

When Tan makes a joke, he laughs. He said this with a straight face.

He was being serious.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Unbelievable.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:30 am

I don't see the problem with Tan wanting Slade to have a long successful period here. I am not saying Slade is the right man but if you were to hire someone wouldn't you want them to have a long successful stint? Most of you are trying to look at everything in a bad way. Put yourself in a position of hiring someone.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:41 am

Turk-Bluebird! wrote:I don't see the problem with Tan wanting Slade to have a long successful period here. I am not saying Slade is the right man but if you were to hire someone wouldn't you want them to have a long successful stint? Most of you are trying to look at everything in a bad way. Put yourself in a position of hiring someone.

Put yourself in a position of hiring someone ok

Guess what didn't even think of slade didn't even no who he was .most fans wanted a tried and testee man slades a gamble at the wrong place wrong time

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 am

brickyblue wrote:
Turk-Bluebird! wrote:I don't see the problem with Tan wanting Slade to have a long successful period here. I am not saying Slade is the right man but if you were to hire someone wouldn't you want them to have a long successful stint? Most of you are trying to look at everything in a bad way. Put yourself in a position of hiring someone.

Guess what didn't even think of slade didn't even no who he was .most fans wanted a tried and testee man slades a gamble at the wrong place wrong time

I think you will see if you read my post I am not saying Slade is the right man. But he wants to hire him get over it and start to accept it. My point was if you were hiring someone what is so 'laughable' as the OP States about you wanting them to have a long successful tenure in that position.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:19 am

some of you will twist every single thing Tan says... Laughable - have a look in the mirror

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 am

I think annis must have his mirrors facing the wall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 am

brickyblue wrote:

You never took a gamble then? Why does everything get twisted as soon as Mr Tan says something, What is wrong with a owner wanting a long term manager?

By the way, hope Slades testees are ok :thumbup:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 am

Jules wrote:
brickyblue wrote:

You never took a gamble then? Why does everything get twisted as soon as Mr Tan says something, What is wrong with a owner wanting a long term manager?

C'mon Jules, comparing this appointment to Wenger makes me smile as I write this. It's not all about longevity Mr Tan, Wenger signed some of the best players of that generation for cheap. Over to you Mr Slade :laughing6:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:26 am

Tan is embarrassing as usual. Wasn't Ole the best thing since sliced bread? Far better than malky? Just cost him a fortune didn't he and who knows had he stayed with Malky or appointed a better manager with premier league experience then he might still own a premier league club. Also, didn't we recoup most of the money Malky spent anyway bar the Great Dane?
Now he is trying to follow the Swansea model? They promoted from within a bloke who has been there 10 years and worked under 3 top managers.....Slade might be ok but he's nothing like that. .the sooner he sells up and leaves us alone the better whatever league that might be.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

ThomasC wrote:
Jules wrote:
brickyblue wrote:

C'mon Jules, comparing this appointment to Wenger makes me smile as I write this. It's not all about longevity Mr Tan, Wenger signed some of the best players of that generation for cheap. Over to you Mr Slade :laughing6:

well, I for one will give the man a chance he deserves that but no doubt the booboys will crawl out of the woodwork soon.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:11 pm

I dont think its laughable, I think he is just saying he would like a settled manager who can suceed.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I dont think its laughable, I think he is just saying he would like a settled manager who can suceed.

That's how I and most normal people would see it, a long term settled manager

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Jules wrote:
brickyblue wrote:

I

Nothing wrong with what you've said what I mean is why take slade from the lower leagues when we had so many managers out there tried and test at our level. Its an odd appointment to me but hope slade does well but I dont see it as a safe option more as a gamble but hay good luck to him.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Laughable :lol: some only hear what they want to hear.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Well said, exactly my feelings. Tan simply can't win, I fear we're killing the goose that laid our golden egg.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:35 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:
CantonJack wrote:

Was it f**k

Did you even watch the interview?

When Tan makes a joke, he laughs. He said this with a straight face.

He was being serious.

What is wrong with saying this?

Surely you hope any manager that comes into the club will bring success, stability and longevity?

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 pm

whats laughable is the crap being said on here!! its called self interpretation! what do people want him to say he's only here temperary? :lol: :thumbup:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Slade has remained loyal to Leyton Orient and is currently the fourth longest standing manager in English football.
So maybe this is what he's getting at.
Maybe not such a stupid statement after all.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Knew there would be mindless tools who would take something he says out of context. Priceless.