Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Australia

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Any help on this would be appreciated

I'm seriously thinking about giving the whole moving to Australia for work thing a go.

I've got no ties here is why not

But basically need some pointers as to how to go about it ?

Are there any websites that help you find work/place to stay ?

Re: Australia

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Moff. wrote:Any help on this would be appreciated

I'm seriously thinking about giving the whole moving to Australia for work thing a go.

first of all you have to apply for a working visa from Australia House in the Strand before you book anything as they can still turn you down.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Just want some pointers mate ?

Mining is big out there apparently so I'd like to get Into that if any one knows ?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 pm

The internet is a great thing mate. No offence but your better doing your research there than on a football forum.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Moff. wrote:Just want some pointers mate ?

Mining is big out there apparently so I'd like to get Into that if any one knows ?

mate with the greatest of respect I think you should check that you can qualify for a visa before you even think of work.

Believe me they can be very strict on visas and most go for a two year working visa and then use that two years to see what they can find over there rather than applying for jobs before you get there because by doing that it means that the employer has a hold over you if they are the ones who brought you into the country.

I was over there from 1999-2001 and worked for an Australian Bank (Westpac)

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 am

There are many Australian visa people , that you can find on line and there are some that you can do a small questionnaire with to see if you Can qualify for a working visa by the number of points you will need.

The major area for mining in Oz is in Western Australia , Perth , being the Major City there.
A lot of the people live in and around that area, and go and live in the mining area depending on the work pattern ,, ie ,,, 4 weeks on 1week off . or something similar.
But as has been pointed out in an earlier thread you would have to Qualify for a Visa before you could even think of starting work , unless you can get a company sponsorship or if you have Family already there.
Hope this helps..

Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:39 am

Ive lived in Australia - You need to do so much research .

Where do you want to live ? Contact Australian Embassy first ?

So much on-line info

But remember its a day and half travel away - once you are there you have to settle and make it work especially if youre selling up.

Big move !! Its not bbq`s and surfing !!

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Ive lived in Australia - You need to do so much research .

Where do you want to live ? Contact Australian Embassy first ?

So much on-line info

But remember its a day and half travel away - once you are there you have to settle and make it work especially if youre selling up.

Big move !! Its not bbq`s and surfing !!

Your right its not all surfing and BBQ'S. Some people seem to forget you have to work for a living over there. They do tend to work shorter hours and not rely on overtime as much as we do here in the uk which can give you a little more recreation time.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:07 pm

With regards to the mining aspect, the money was great a few years ago. You could come out of University and start on a basic salary of six figures. However, in the last two years or so there was a massive crash in that sector. Far to many people doing the jobs and as a result thousands were laid off, From my time at University, I know around 50-60 people who moved there, worked for a few years and were then laid off.
I don't know the current status of the work out there as I have been out of the loop for the past few months having lost my job myself (over here though).
You might want to try some of the Scandinavian countries, those who moved and were let go now tend to be based in Scandinavia/Greenland or in Africa.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Moff. wrote:Any help on this would be appreciated

have you got a trade....loads of helpful sites,google it and one is for brits wanting to emmigrate and questions answered by ex-pats living in oz...good luck.. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:48 pm

and remember you also need a few grand in the bank to prove to them that you can support yourself if out of work over there :thumbright:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I'd maybe go there first on a normal working visa and see how you like it. You will then meet people who can potentially help you. It's a great place in some ways I wish I had stayed on but there is more to life than good weather. The amount of people who think it's easy and end up coming back is huge. If your young and care free just get out there and see.....

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:59 pm

goats wrote:I'd maybe go there first on a normal working visa and see how you like it. You will then meet people who can potentially help you. It's a great place in some ways I wish I had stayed on but there is more to life than good weather. The amount of people who think it's easy and end up coming back is huge. If your young and care free just get out there and see.....

agree with you there. I was too young to appreciate what I had over there however things have changed out there since. It was $3 to the £1 back in my day and more or less 1 for 1 now :shock:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:07 am

Military Junta wrote:
goats wrote:I'd maybe go there first on a normal working visa and see how you like it. You will then meet people who can potentially help you. It's a great place in some ways I wish I had stayed on but there is more to life than good weather. The amount of people who think it's easy and end up coming back is huge. If your young and care free just get out there and see.....

agree with you there. I was too young to appreciate what I had over there however things have changed out there since. It was $3 to the £1 back in my day and more or less 1 for 1 now :shock:

I went in 1989 for 18 months and again in 2000 for a similar time, got offerered work then but with the rave scene kicking off when I got back in 1991 it was a no brainer....thinking more about my 3 and 1 year olds futures now. Would it be better out there?

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 pm

here are a few links that could be of help

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.g ... fault.aspx

http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx

The economy is picking up and there are plenty of opportunities arising, with the mining tax being abolished I hear from friends working in that sector things are progressing and the future is positive.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 pm

Military Junta wrote:It was $3 to the £1 back in my day and more or less 1 for 1 now :shock:

Absolute bollocks. Fact (sic)

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:
Military Junta wrote:It was $3 to the £1 back in my day and more or less 1 for 1 now :shock:

Absolute bollocks. Fact (sic)

http://www.ozforex.com.au/forex-tools/h ... rage-rates

when I was there around the year 2000 it was $0.38 dollars to the pound basically meaning $3 dollars to every pound. Even thought its dropped in recent months in 2012 it was £0.65 to the pound which is under two dollars to the pound. Granted its gained slightly the fact of the matter is that it still hasn't reached the yearly average of $2 dollars to the pound yet.

So there's yours facts and bearing in mind that I was working in the foreign exchange department for an Australian bank whilst over there but what do I know hey :wave:

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

You are seriously stupid.

You simply said the dollar is basically on parity with the pound.

It is 1.83ish

You are wrong. That's all I'm pointing out. I am simply pointing out your mistake.

You are thick as shit son. I've been here ten years.

Your response was laughable so I'm glad you had a little giggle at the end.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:You are seriously stupid.

You simply said the dollar is basically on parity with the pound.

It is 1.83ish

You are wrong. That's all I'm pointing out. I am simply pointing out your mistake.

You are thick as shit son. I've been here ten years.

Your response was laughable so I'm glad you had a little giggle at the end.

Read again and I said 'more or less' one to one for which being 0.8 out and at 2012 it was only 0.6 out. Read my comment again and you will see my point. Even at todays rate you cant get 2 for 1 yet when I was there it was 3 for 1

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:35 pm

More or less is not nearly double sunshine but I will say that you are right if that's what will make you feel better about yourself.

Would you like to buy some dollars from me by the way! Your rates are more or less incredible ;-)

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Gone are the days when you could steel a gentleman's silk hanky and get sent there for a few years for free...

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Fergy1927 wrote:More or less is not nearly double sunshine but I will say that you are right if that's what will make you feel better about yourself.

Would you like to buy some dollars from me by the way! Your rates are more or less incredible ;-)

still only half as much as when I was there which is what my point being. The cost of living out there has rocketed

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm

I wasn't talking about that. No dramas though.