Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Tan can't afford to get it wrong '

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... nt-7801985? :thumbright:

I have written and spoken about it until I am blue in the face. The philosophy and ethos of the club should be maintained and no matter who the manager is, there should be the ‘Cardiff Way’ of playing.

The ideology of how Cardiff City play should be that of the club, and not the manager.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... nt-7801985?

" Will Vincent Tan, who is heading up the appointment of the manager personally, be worried about structure more than promotion? "

Re: Tan can't afford to get it wrong

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:49 pm

He will lol

No one has a clue who it will be

The names banded about hardly inspire any confidence either

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:49 pm

He's already got it wrong Carl by not listening to everyone and going for pulis,anybody from 9th or 10th in the prem would kill for pulis but tan is the only person who can't see it

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Talksport are reporting Russell Slade is the man

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Tan could talk Alex Ferguson out of retirement and the anti Tan retoric would continue, he can't win.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Talksport are reporting Russell Slade is the man

He has never managed at a high level in over 20 years. Reason for that I think. :roll:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Talksport are reporting Russell Slade is the man

WHO! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Re: ' Tan can't afford to get it wrong '

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:59 pm

In an ideal world it would be fantastic if there was a unique philosophy / ethos with which our club could be identified, but I don't think it currently exists and cannot be created overnight. It's a cliche but "Rome wasn't built in a day" and I would think it would at least 3 years before you would be able to recognise any new ethos.

What would this philosophy be because in this modern era of the game the ethos of almost ALL clubs is WIN, and if your the manager in a slump your sacked and a new guy starts again.

We changed manager mid season and as VT said in his statement yesterday he had hoped OGS would stop the slump we were in and save our Premier League status. The problem with that is that by the time OGS arrived last season he was just getting on board a sinking ship and guess what it sank. Was ALL that down to OGS, absolutely not, VT even went on record as saying he blamed MM for the relegation, but again it was not solely down to MM although like OGS he made mistakes.

Modern football clubs need to be structured in a way that's meets the requirements of the time, the days of "Old School" managers are gone and clubs need to be built around multi disciplined cross function teams ALL working towards a common philosophy - and that's winning.

The days of managers doing everything have gone and we are in the era of highly qualified coaches supported by sporting directors who manage the cross functional teams, teams like sports science, sports medicine and maybe even sports psychology. Also match stats, individual player stats and of course player recruitment are all vital components of developing not a philosophy or ethos but a CULTURE of success on and off the field and at it's core WINNING.

Not even god almighty could deliver all of that overnight and I think it's a little unfair to suggest that VT needs to get this manager appointment right solely to create this philosophy or ethos. It's going to take so much more than that in my opinion to deliver what your suggesting in that article.

Like it or not whoever gets the managers job the pressure to reverse this run of poor result will be massive, indeed I would bet that there will be people in the local media lumping pressure on before a match is even played.

To get to the situation where we can see a philosophy unique to our club will take a very long time and, in my opinion, our new manager will not be given that time. Not by VT, not by the media and most certainly not by our fans.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Gavin wrote:Tan could talk Alex Ferguson out of retirement and the anti Tan retoric would continue, he can't win.

If the reports are correct then yes he can, approach Pulis. It's a massive decision and last time quite frankly they fucked it up, from an ultra defensive philosophy to a so called free flowing attacking football philosophy.

We need someone who can come in stamp their authority on the squad and give us structure and stability. I agree with the OP but I dont know if it might be too late because by the sounds of things financially we are desperate to gain promotion this season. Where as if we try to install a philosophy that might take a few years to gain momentum and bring us promotion we might be in too much financial shit.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:21 pm

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:
Gavin wrote:Tan could talk Alex Ferguson out of retirement and the anti Tan retoric would continue, he can't win.

If the reports are correct then yes he can, approach Pulis. It's a massive decision and last time quite frankly they fucked it up, from an ultra defensive philosophy to a so called free flowing attacking football philosophy.

We need someone who can come in stamp their authority on the squad and give us structure and stability. I agree with the OP but I dont know if it might be too late because by the sounds of things financially we are desperate to gain promotion this season. Where as if we try to install a philosophy that might take a few years to gain momentum and bring us promotion we might be in too much financial shit.

That is my exact point, I don't think we got the time to develop our philosophy because we need promotion this year.

Ken Choo's admission to the trust and supporters club has put an enormous amount of pressure on the next man and has highlighted the level of pressure any candidate will be under before they even get the job.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:23 pm

carlccfc wrote:

That is my exact point, I don't think we got the time to develop our philosophy because we need promotion this year.

Ken Choo's admission to the trust and supporters club has put an enormous amount of pressure on the next man and has highlighted the level of pressure any candidate will be under before they even get the job.

No disrespect but jones, gabbs and young would collapse like a house of cards under this type of pressure. As such shouldn't be put in the position.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:28 pm

ValeBlue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

No disrespect but jones, gabbs and young would collapse like a house of cards under this type of pressure. As such shouldn't be put in the position.

I am not advocating they should get job.

I really have no idea who should be the next manager, I know I would like to see someone who can get us playing a brand of football that is exciting to watch but has a grit to the team.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:49 pm

carlccfc wrote:
ValeBlue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

I am not advocating they should get job.

I really have no idea who should be the next manager, I know I would like to see someone who can get us playing a brand of football that is exciting to watch but has a grit to the team.

Now that would be nice. Trouble is I'm not sure what we want is what tan wants.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Unfortunately I have absolutely zero confidence that Tan will do anything other than get it completely wrong.

How did this man become the successful business man that he obviously is?

If he was as clueless in his other business ventures as he is with Cardiff City surely he would be down to his last couple of pennies.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:01 pm

orient are only out of the relegation zone by goal difference
played 7/ win 1 drawn 4 lost 2 and you say he is a good manager

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:08 pm

carlccfc wrote:

I don't like to keep going back to him because it sounds unlikely but if we pull out all the stops to get Pulis then I'm confident he can deliver our much needed promotion. Like you said he can't get this one wrong but my confidence in the bloke getting it right is minimal.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:25 pm

carlccfc wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carl-curtis-cardiff-city-vincent-7801985?

I have written and spoken about it until I am blue in the face. The philosophy and ethos of the club should be maintained and no matter who the manager is, there should be the ‘Cardiff Way’ of playing.

The ideology of how Cardiff City play should be that of the club, and not the manager.

Will Vincent Tan, who is heading up the appointment of the manager personally, be worried about structure more than promotion?

What exactly is Cardiff´s way?

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Then Mr Tan go after a proven manager with a good track record :thumbright: :thumbright:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 pm

There is only 1 man for the task

Tan won't employ him because he knows the fans will love Tony Pulis

Tan clearly wants an escape route but he is stuck by jus own stubborn and selfish pride

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Our squad isn't good enough for promotion so we should use this season to start building a style and use the next couple of transfer windows to put the pieces in place for next season.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Well yeah he will get an unfair crack of the whip whatever he does but he's dug himself that hole

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Dalman and Choo have stated that we will be in financial trouble if we do not get promoted to the PL. Ergo, you get a proven manager with a successful track record to do the job properly. Not high risk outside bets. A safe pair of hands. This really is not rocket science and its clear that this could be last chance at the saloon before a shit storm if we don't get the right guy in & double quick. Kudos for the unsentimental early exit of OGS early season but I'm very nervous that the decision makers will now make another inept decision based on their seemingly limited scope of view. How difficult a decision can this be with multiples of millions & more importantly our club the line and with Pulis still available now? On a lighter note, good luck to Youngy & Gabbs tomorrow.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Tan show us you have passion, in getting the right man in.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:21 am

carlccfc wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carl-curtis-cardiff-city-vincent-7801985? :thumbright:

" Will Vincent Tan, who is heading up the appointment of the manager personally, be worried about structure more than promotion? "

Well he's obviously not that bothered about gaining promotion this season if the talk of all these inexperienced managers is correct.
Looks like he's more interested in building for the future & trying to go up in the next 3 years or so.
Bringing in any new manager is a gamble but you need to go for the person who a greater chance than the others & that person is obviously Pullis.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:19 am

Just going by your headline Carl....the truth is Tan can afford to get it wrong.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 pm

To respond to the OP

a)Tan can afford it

b) history states he will likely get it wrong

Good luck with his choice :)

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Be nice to have a Welsh Chairman/owner. That might help.

I know the foreign money is nice, but we are paying the price

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Right now we need an experienced set of hands and a good man manager.

Pulis at this moment in time fits the bill.

A local guy with a passion for the club

Would be able to galvanise the squad to at least compete for promotion.

Would be able to bridge the gap between the championship and the premiership, something malkay was incapable of doing.

He's the obvious candidate

So of course we will choose someone else.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:49 pm

He,s about to get yet another decision at the club horribly wrong ...
A Colour change
B. Badge change
C. Malky sacking mid season
D. Ole appointment
E. Slade appointment :lol: :lol: :lol: