Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I Really feel for him

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 pm

What's been pointed out by man Cardiff City fans is that we really like Ole. He's good with the media, talks calmly and confidently, takes responsibility - all around he's very likeable as a person.

Ole was taken on last January under very difficult circumstances. Fans were split over the rebrand, we weren't happy with the manner in which Malky was sacked (evidence hadn't come to light at this point - and Tan was the villain) morale was down and results had gone against us.
In comes OGS - a man with a very big reputation, and a lot of managerial potential. Things looked Rosey for us as we were linked with some good players, and we knew his links with Man Utd would serve us well.
He went on to win the FA Cup game against Newcastle, Hudson was back in the squad, and we all dared to start to let some optimism creep in. That same optimism we all felt after beating man city - Maybe we can stay up.

Unfortunately Ole couldn't bring us any kind of form to lift us out of the relegation zone, there were a very minimal amount of fans calling for him to be sacked, but as a whole we agreed that, it wasn't his squad, circumstances were against him - Give him time, he WILL produce for us.

We had an excellent summer, with some fantastic players coming in. For me, keeping hold of Daehli was one of the best bits of business we did, but we signed some great players - the only decision we didn't like was losing Hudson on deadline day. BUT - that was Ole's decision and I was happy to see his new defensive sensation take shape. We started off with some positive results, and we all thought we'de do very well.

A few weeks later and crunch talks are taking place in London to decide his fate.

For me, Ole has done his best, he's given us his all and every decision he's made has been in the best interests of the club. But sadly, it doesnt look like it was meant to be, I really wanted him to emulate Fergy, I wanted him to be the best manager in English football, and even to use us as a stepping stone to greater things - as we would still benefit from him being here.

The crowd has turned on him, bookies are taking bets on next Cardiff manager, and pundits are all saying he's not good enough.

Personally, I agree, he signed great players, but tactically he is inept at this level. I just feel so bad because he's such a likeable individual, and I wouldnt wish this on him at all. But that is football

Re: I Really feel for him

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Agree with that! :thumbright:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Agree with you ,also agree that most fans have never backed him ,maybe a little this year but on the back of malky being sacked he wasn't backed in the prem because even when malky went fans were still pissed with tan because of it and never got behind the new guy,how long will the next manager get with our lot ,not long as they have no patience.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Good post I'm gutted he failed too, he's an honest and likeable Man. I hope he gets another chance at another club.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ole:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Totally agree with everything in the original post. Great chap and will be sad to see him go. He couldn't be blamed for last season. Many top managers with plenty of experience would have struggled to keep us up, so putting aside last season he's probably going to be sacked on the strength of our first 7 matches. Who knows if he could have turned things around? This is not the way to build stability at our Club. I don't want to be one of those clubs who sack managers in a knee jerk reaction sort of way. That is not the way to develop systems within the club. Too much upheaval and too much chopping and changing. :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm

moonboots wrote:Totally agree with everything in the original post. Great chap and will be sad to see him go. He couldn't be blamed for last season. Many top managers with plenty of experience would have struggled to keep us up, so putting aside last season he's probably going to be sacked on the strength of our first 7 matches. Who knows if he could have turned things around? This is not the way to build stability at our Club. I don't want to be one of those clubs who sack managers in a knee jerk reaction sort of way. That is not the way to develop systems within the club. Too much upheaval and too much chopping and changing. :bluescarf:

Even though I and most of our fans liked him ,he had to go his record is so poor :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 pm

moonboots wrote:Totally agree with everything in the original post. Great chap and will be sad to see him go. He couldn't be blamed for last season. Many top managers with plenty of experience would have struggled to keep us up, so putting aside last season he's probably going to be sacked on the strength of our first 7 matches. Who knows if he could have turned things around? This is not the way to build stability at our Club. I don't want to be one of those clubs who sack managers in a knee jerk reaction sort of way. That is not the way to develop systems within the club. Too much upheaval and too much chopping and changing. :bluescarf:

Absolutely! We don't wana be a knee-jerk reaction club, but we need to build
Around a good manager who's experienced

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:07 pm

I feel for him yes - but think he has taken the guts out of our side and needs to go.

He'll have a place in City folklore but thats it - step aside Ole and let a manager maintain some continuity with this club

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Great post. It's sad to see him really struggling with the situation he's in. He isn't yet good enough at this level and sadly it is time for him to go, but I felt very uncomfortable with the booing of him when he came on the pitch last night.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 pm

I felt the boo's were justified in that, the players on the pitch didn't perform either, we had a few players who did alright, and MC was out of position, but they deserve to hear our frustrations as much as Ole does.

I didn't stay after the final whistle, I was deflated and fed up, but to hear of fans abusing Ole is out of order. He has done his best here, he didn't jepordise us in anyway, he just wasn't up to the job, and I fully forgive that.

Ole, I genuinely hope you go and recoup, then come back to management and have some success.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:42 pm

If we can't get Pullis, I would give Ole another couple of games as long as he keeps a bit of continuity in the side and picks players in position. New players have all been given a bit of a chance in a big squad, but now we need best side out.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm

I think that time has passed mate, he just isn't up to the job, and it's a massive shame

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 pm

he has had poor results and spent good money in the process. on a footballing level, he can't really have any complaints.

as OGS says himself, 'thats football'.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:he has had poor results and spent good money in the process. on a footballing level, he can't really have any complaints.

He spent good money, but he assembled a fantastic squad for the championship. There are players who would keep their places upon promotion too!

Fabio, Daehli, Manga, Marshall, Pilks, Adeyami, Guerra to name a few.

He'd make a brilliant chief scout, possibly a fantastic number 2 with an experienced manager, but he just isn't ready to cut it with his own team yet.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 pm

JamesC wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:he has had poor results and spent good money in the process. on a footballing level, he can't really have any complaints.

He spent good money, but he assembled a fantastic squad for the championship. There are players who would keep their places upon promotion too!

Fabio, Daehli, Manga, Marshall, Pilks, Adeyami, Guerra to name a few.

He'd make a brilliant chief scout, possibly a fantastic number 2 with an experienced manager, but he just isn't ready to cut it with his own team yet.

have to agree, james.

he's been backed, but i agree he's signed plenty of quality players. they haven't performed anywhere near their potential. managers know they have to get off to good starts or they could be out of the door sharpish. it may just be public persona, but whereas with someone like MM, after a poor start like that they would come out fighting in the second. i don't get that same feeling with ole.

maybe it was the right man at the wrong time, or just simply that he isn't ready for this kind of challenge. who knows :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:05 pm

I've kept my Malky opinions quiet, surrounded by controversy (and rightly so) but he was a very good football manager.

Analysed a game well, and you're absolutely right, our team would always come out fighting if he were losing. This is Olé's downfall, he doesn't know how to ignite that into a squad, and put the fight in them.

I wish him all the best though