Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Biggest regret of Ole appointment

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Was not bringing in an experienced number two. Could do with someone to help keep his head up and offer him advice. No disrespect to Mark Dempsey but someone like Mike Phelan would have been able to help Ole optimistic. Maybe even a Director of Football could have offered some of their expertise

Re: Biggest regret of Ole appointment

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:21 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:Was not bringing in an experienced number two. Could do with someone to help keep his head up and offer him advice. No disrespect to Mark Dempsey but someone like Mike Phelan would have been able to help Ole optimistic. Maybe even a Director of Football could have offered some of their expertise

Good shout.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:Was not bringing in an experienced number two. Could do with someone to help keep his head up and offer him advice. No disrespect to Mark Dempsey but someone like Mike Phelan would have been able to help Ole optimistic. Maybe even a Director of Football could have offered some of their expertise

Why didn't you suggest that to him during one of your many parties together ? :lol:

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 pm

When I said this in January, I was totally shot down for it.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Good shout.

He's great in the transfer market and usually that's what DOF's are for really. I think Phelan was up for working with Ole? Or maybe he just wanted the big job for himself but really Ole's a young manager but needs a manager/coach whose done it all and seen it all. I know Bolton aren't doing too well at the moment but look at Freedman with Lennie Lawrence behind him etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Ole's on the buzzer to Fergie on what to do, how to turn it around etc. Dalman should talk to Ole about bringing someone in. Even Paul Lambert has Roy Keane as his no.2 now

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:34 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Good shout.

He's great in the transfer market and usually that's what DOF's are for really. I think Phelan was up for working with Ole? Or maybe he just wanted the big job for himself but really Ole's a young manager but needs a manager/coach whose done it all and seen it all. I know Bolton aren't doing too well at the moment but look at Freedman with Lennie Lawrence behind him etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Ole's on the buzzer to Fergie on what to do, how to turn it around etc. Dalman should talk to Ole about bringing someone in. Even Paul Lambert has Roy Keane as his no.2 now

I'm not sure that Fergie will have much wisdom to impart about how to arrest a slump of such magnitude in the Championship - not really an area in which Fergie had much experience!

Agree about the number 2 though. Think it's a bit late for that now though as it would seem to undermine his authority.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I think it's because he'd just taken the job and a DOF role would have undermined him. But all he needs is a bit of help, someone to offer him a helping hand, not let him fall into a slump too much

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

We both said that we would accept it yet we always said that he was the wrong man

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 pm

davids wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Good shout.

I'm not sure that Fergie will have much wisdom to impart about how to arrest a slump of such magnitude in the Championship - not really an area in which Fergie had much experience!

Agree about the number 2 though. Think it's a bit late for that now though as it would seem to undermine his authority.

I think Ole will just speak to him in general about how to make sure heads don't drop etc, plenty of managers do it. But glad you agree, it's no disrespect to Mark Dempsey at all but he's not exactly a leading figure

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Military Junta wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

We both said that we would accept it yet we always said that he was the wrong man

My opinion is Ole was the best of a bad bunch, with the way our club was portrayed in the media and our position in the league, the job wasn't exactly lucrative