Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is Rotation Damaging The Performance Of The Team?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 am

' Is Rotation Damaging The Performance Of The Team? '

I know it's early in the season but I ask the question because OGS has, and continues, at every press conference or statement he makes talks about the absolute need to rotate because of the relentness nature of the Championship.

The thing about this League is that the Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday fixtures are the same for all teams so are other clubs, even at this stage of the season, rotating thier starting 11 like we are.

Here are details of the number of players who have completed 90 minutes or more on the pitch for thier clubs this season. The lowest number of players used by any club so far this season is 13 and the most is 21, we have so far used 17 players.

There are 3 clubs who have used only 13 players with 90 minutes or more playing time and they are, Forest (Currently Top), Norwich ( Currently 2nd) and Charlton (Currently 5th). This demonstrates 2 things in my opinion that clubs definately benefit from a settled team and that thier managers know exactly who thier best team is.

There are 2 clubs who have so far used 21 players Fulham(Currently 23rd) and Huddersfield (Currently 21st), the next lowest number is 19 players where there are 3 clubs, Bolton (Currently 22nd), Leeds (Currently 19th) and Brighton (Currently 17th). In my opinion this suggests thier manager doesn't know his best team and he is changing the team to find a winning formula.

There are 2 clubs next in line who have used 17 players ourselves (Currently 15th) and Watford (Currently 4th). In the case of Watford wins over Bolton, Rotherham, Leeds and Huddersfield have no doubt helped them to thier current position. Given our inept performance against Fulham anyone confident that we would win all games against those 4 :?

It is clear to me that there are clubs coping with the Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday fixtures and still playing settled teams and they are benefiting by thier League position. OGS pre-occupation with rotation has, in my opinion, had a negative effect on our performances and constantly swapping and changing the team must stop.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Re: Is Rotation Damaging The Performance Of The Team?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 am

Great research.....

Is there a stat for the most formations per game, because we would hammer that.

I just don't think Ole and his team are prepared or good enough for the ultra professional hard nosed championship.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:20 am

I think that you will find that we have used 21 players this season so far with Manga still to make his debut.

The press recently reported that including last season Ole has changed his team more than any other manager. ( We were relegated and now 15th in the table!)

Surely a settled team generates results. Players are aware of the players around them and their strengths & weaknesses. Results produce confidence which then produces results and a good run.

What manager would drop their top goalscorer & a full back who had been playing excellent as with Jones and Brayford against Wolves? This is very disruptive and de motivating. How can a player play very good/ excellent week in week out and then be dropped?

Unfortunately, I think Ole' s policy of change will get us nowhere near promotion even at this early stage of the season. I would like him to pick his best 11 and give them a run of games.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:26 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:I think that you will find that we have used 21 players this season so far with Manga still to make his debut.

The press recently reported that including last season Ole has changed his team more than any other manager. ( We were relegated and now 15th in the table!)

Surely a settled team generates results. Players are aware of the players around them and their strengths & weaknesses. Results produce confidence which then produces results and a good run.

What manager would drop their top goalscorer & a full back who had been playing excellent as with Jones and Brayford against Wolves? This is very disruptive and de motivating. How can a player play very good/ excellent week in week out and then be dropped?

Unfortunately, I think Ole' s policy of change will get us nowhere near promotion even at this early stage of the season. I would like him to pick his best 11 and give them a run of games.

We have used 21 players but the other 4 have not got 90 minutes time on the pitch, some like Eikrem and Guerra have less than 25 minutes and are not, in my opinion, in the mainstream of OGS thoughts.

Should they be of course is another question.

:bluescarf:

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:34 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Great research.....

Is there a stat for the most formations per game, because we would hammer that.

I just don't think Ole and his team are prepared or good enough for the ultra professional hard nosed championship.

So far this season OGS has adopted 3 starting formations with 4-4-2 being his favourite, but only in 50% of our games. In our last 2 games, which in my opinion have been our worst, he has adopted a 4-2-3-1 formation and frankly it hasn't worked.

Compare those to the starting formations of the current top 6 teams and it isn't good reading for OGS.

Forest - 4-4-2 has been the starting formation in 83% of thier games.
Norwich - 4-2-3-1 has been the starting formation in 83% of thier games.
Wolves - 4-2-3-1 has been the starting formation in 100% of thier games.
Charlton - 4-4-2 has been the starting formation in 100% of thier games.
Watford- 3-5-2 has been the starting formation in 83% of thier games.
Brentford -4-1-4-1 has been the starting formation in 83% of thier games.

So it appears that the teams using the fewer players and adopting a set formation in a high % of thier games are doing best which really doesn't surprise me.

OGS needs to take note of this and stop his f*cking tinkering, settle on his best team and formations and start using them. ASAP please Ole.

:bluescarf:

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Once again thanks Gary with the facts and they dont lie :thumbright: :thumbright:

Rotation in my opinion is No good for us.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:I think that you will find that we have used 21 players this season so far with Manga still to make his debut.

He was doing the same last season. If I recall correctly he dropped Turner after a great performance & winning MOM.
What does that say to a player?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm not understanding how ole believes fatigue is creeping into first team players already, it's either that or he genuinely can't work out who his best 11 is yet. However,

If this is a strategy to purposely rotate the players, he runs the risk of getting sacked as it probably has not been done at this level with success.