Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' independence Scotland Yes or No? '

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Its their country and their decision, but they will find it hard to sustain their standard of living and the NHS without it costing them more per person in tax

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:59 pm

I responded to a poster which was clearly stating the differences between the UK and Norway.

People may not even know that for the past 2 years the Scottish Government have had the opportunity to raise income tax up to 3p in the £ yet have refused too because they know that it would not go down well politically

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Military Junta wrote:I responded to a poster which was clearly stating the differences between the UK and Norway.

People may not even know that for the past 2 years the Scottish Government have had the opportunity to raise income tax up to 3p in the £ yet have refused too because they know that it would not go down well politically

Quote (Adam Brown): "yet have refused too because they know that it would not go down well politically"

They'd be pretty naive to do so with such a big election looming, Adam, and would certainly have taken it into account ;)

But what about AFTER a winning election? What then?? :?

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:10 pm

A Government making decisions that will show them favourably.

It is unusual to be fair.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=147450

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:03 am

This is very clever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbW_AT64m8E

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Better off without them.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Not sure it's my place to say (not being Scottish), but I hope they don't go.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:39 am

I really don't want Scotland to become independent but I don't blame them if they do. If I was Scottish I would probably be voting yes. I do think sometimes we in the UK, when you look around at the awful way other countries are governed, are spoilt. I heard someone say Wales is a third world country... I'm sorry, but as far as I was aware, the vast majority of people living in Wales have clean water, food, and shelter. We are not a third world country.

However, just because things are not as bad as they could be does not mean we should settle. I think Scotland could go it alone and do well. I'm not saying they will do better than they are now but they certainly won't do much worse. Of course, there are pros and cons but ultimately, I hope the people of Scotland vote with their heads, not their hearts.

If Scotland votes yes then it could be the biggest revolution to British politics since the Civil War.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 am

The odds of a yes vote have drifted with Hills to 19/5 which represents just a 21% chance, despite the polls showing the result as too close to call.

Re: ' indendence Scotland Yes or No? '

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:13 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
PtB wrote:
Military Junta wrote:12,000 Orange Order march through Edinburgh this morning against Independence

Many of them not from Scotland and nothing to do with it.

I think that with a little bit of research, you will find that thousands of Scots folk were forced, or encouraged to move to Northern Ireland during the 17, 18, & 19th Century's. Northern Ireland wouldn't be what it is without the Scots.

I wish i was in Edinburgh today (yesterday).

In Roman times only the Picts were recorded living in what is now Scotland, the "Scots" migrated from Ireland in around the 7th to 8th Century. So the Scots are actually Irish!

Re: ' indendence Scotland Yes or No? '

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:31 am

Snaag wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
PtB wrote:
Military Junta wrote:12,000 Orange Order march through Edinburgh this morning against Independence

Many of them not from Scotland and nothing to do with it.

I think that with a little bit of research, you will find that thousands of Scots folk were forced, or encouraged to move to Northern Ireland during the 17, 18, & 19th Century's. Northern Ireland wouldn't be what it is without the Scots.

I wish i was in Edinburgh today (yesterday).

In Roman times only the Picts were recorded living in what is now Scotland, the "Scots" migrated from Ireland in around the 7th to 8th Century. So the Scots are actually Irish!

And the English are from angle land in South Denmark/North Germany and Saxon Germany. Your point being????

Grab your chance Scotland.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:00 pm

http://youtu.be/r6bQFW-gcPY

Hmmmmmm :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:38 pm

popeye21 wrote:The odds of a yes vote have drifted with Hills to 19/5 which represents just a 21% chance, despite the polls showing the result as too close to call.

One voting analyst said they thought the Yes vote would need to be 10-15% up going into polling day to stand a chance of winning because most people bottle it on election day and vote safe. I think they're right. I can see the No vote winning by 10% at least. Shame really.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Zabier wrote:
popeye21 wrote:The odds of a yes vote have drifted with Hills to 19/5 which represents just a 21% chance, despite the polls showing the result as too close to call.

One voting analyst said they thought the Yes vote would need to be 10-15% up going into polling day to stand a chance of winning because most people bottle it on election day and vote safe. I think they're right. I can see the No vote winning by 10% at least. Shame really.

Why is it a shame? They're a bunch of hypocrites who want independence from Westminster only to hand over power to Brussels as they are Pro - EU. If they were wanting to remain outside the EU (I wouldn't want them to leave the UK) but I would understand their ideals. I want the UK as a whole to leave the EU and fragmented it reduces it's power. This has been the EU's stance all along, divide and conquer, hence the push for regional assemblies. Without the EU we could return to being called Britain and one day perhaps putting the word 'Great' back as well.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Is it really going to be as close as they say?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:31 pm

popeye21 wrote:
Zabier wrote:

Why is it a shame? They're a bunch of hypocrites who want independence from Westminster only to hand over power to Brussels as they are Pro - EU. If they were wanting to remain outside the EU (I wouldn't want them to leave the UK) but I would understand their ideals. I want the UK as a whole to leave the EU and fragmented it reduces it's power. This has been the EU's stance all along, divide and conquer, hence the push for regional assemblies. Without the EU we could return to being called Britain and one day perhaps putting the word 'Great' back as well.

the word "Great" in GB isnt a discriptive word, you know that right?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:48 pm

"Get tae foo....!!!" :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:07 pm

popeye21 wrote:
Zabier wrote:

Well said Popeye. They will lose the vote then claim a victory, by saying look at what they have achieved by getting all the concessions the 3 political parties in Westminster will give them for voting no.

Well they better realise this has to be approved by Parliament and could well mean no more scots voting on issues that are not relevant to Scotland. Independence? What Independence? they will be ruled by Europe who will not give a **** about them. Also while they have the £ they will have to do what Westminster tells them.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 am

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
popeye21 wrote:
Zabier wrote:

Yes it is, as it comes from the description of the larger island (Britannia major) as opposed to the little Britain (Britannia minor), which referred to Ireland (Ptolemy) or Brittany ( Geoffrey of Monmouth) depending upon how far back one delves into history. The reason it has been removed today is that the EU politicians don't like the meaning of the word as a noun as in 'important', hence the use of UK in official government yearbooks only after we joined the Common Market.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:21 am

No from me.

Gordon Brown's speech was brilliant.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:22 am

Scotland votes NO as with just 6 councils left to declare the yes campaign would have to get around 70% of the remaining vote.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 am

popeye21 wrote:Scotland votes NO as with just 6 councils left to declare the yes campaign would have to get around 70% of the remaining vote.

Actually it's just under 60% as the BBC's results showed the wrong total required, which explains why they are no longer showing the number required.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:48 am

The pound has moved up 2 cents against the dollar to above $1.65 it's highest level since last September, just on the strength of the NO result.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:24 am

popeye21 wrote:
AlwaysBBlue wrote:
popeye21 wrote:
Zabier wrote:

Yes it is, as it comes from the description of the larger island (Britannia major) as opposed to the little Britain (Britannia minor), which referred to Ireland (Ptolemy) or Brittany ( Geoffrey of Monmouth) depending upon how far back one delves into history. The reason it has been removed today is that the EU politicians don't like the meaning of the word as a noun as in 'important', hence the use of UK in official government yearbooks only after we joined the Common Market.

sorry, its just usually when people say "put the great back in to great britain" they mean great as in tony the tigers great...which is wrong

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:25 am

Zabier wrote:

Considering I know f**k all about politics... not a bad prediction! :D

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Zabier wrote:

A shame indeed. A country scared to be a country.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:11 am

PtB wrote:
Zabier wrote:

Maybe shame but Scotland have gone an awful long way to independence with this referendum.
The powers give up by westminster to bribe the people of scotland to stay will ultimately let the people see they can survive alone. Cameron didnt want to be the person who finally lost scotland so conceded enough to keep it in the union.
The next referendum will be yes.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:57 pm

griff105 wrote:
PtB wrote:
Zabier wrote:

Maybe shame but Scotland have gone an awful long way to independence with this referendum.
The powers give up by westminster to bribe the people of scotland to stay will ultimately let the people see they can survive alone. Cameron didnt want to be the person who finally lost scotland so conceded enough to keep it in the union.

They won't give the powers promised. The biggest shame is that people wouldn't believe that. Too many took in the lies. The 45% will keep fighting though.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:35 am

PtB wrote:
griff105 wrote:
PtB wrote:
Zabier wrote:

They won't give the powers promised. The biggest shame is that people wouldn't believe that. Too many took in the lies. The 45% will keep fighting though.

And so they should keep fighting.
It will be very interesting to see how many powers actually get devolved and if the bribes were worth it, also how much home rule the english grant themselves.