Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Most complete Cardiff squad ever? '

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Disappointed to see Kev and KTC go as they were both decent back up full backs at this level. But Connolly has huge experience in the championship and is a capable right back. But we truly have two players for every position.

GK: Marshall, Moore

RB: Brayford, Connolly
CBR: Morrison, Cala
CBL: Manga, Turner
LB: Fabio, John

DM: Dikcagoi, Gunnarson
AM: Adeyemi, Dæhli
LM: Whitts, Burgstaller
RM: Pilkington, Noone

CF: Macheda, Guerra
CF: Jones, Le Fondre

Gabbidon, Ralls, Eikrem, Kim, Harris, Maynard also in the squad (for now). Certainly no excuses now, kept our best player from last season. All four main strikers capable of getting goals at this level. Decent mix of youth and experience (11 of the 28 have recent experiences of promotion from this league).

Re: Most complete Cardiff squad ever?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Yep very good squad at this level

Big question is how many would be left if we go up and how much strengthening would it need to stay there ?

Re: ' Most complete Cardiff squad ever? '

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:14 pm

Going up would still involve players across all positions but pushing some of that 'first' team into a second team to create depth. It's be 7-8 new player 6-7 first framers for me too.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

It's an excellent squad for the Championship.

Now let's get promoted :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:19 pm

RFMH wrote:Going up would still involve players across all positions but pushing some of that 'first' team into a second team to create depth. It's be 7-8 new player 6-7 first framers for me too.

out of that squad I can only see conolly and gunnar never making it at prem level. not including those not in the 'two teams'

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 am

We have no leadership this is why we are seemingly in auto cruise on the field.

It's a huge problem. Also no one feels its there place to step up and command authority because they were either miss fits last season or they are now new players. You won't gain automatic position without influencle characthers in your team

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 am

It's not about comparing our squad now to previous ones, it's about comparing to the opposition. I don't think we are any better than the likes of Norwich, Forest, Derby or even Watford.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 am

Carpe Diem wrote:It's not about comparing our squad now to previous ones, it's about comparing to the opposition. I don't think we are any better than the likes of Norwich, Forest, Derby or even Watford.

I agree. It's also what you do & how you play with the squad. If Ole keeps changing & trying to keep everyone happy we'll do nothing.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

Deepest squad ive ever seen, still not totally convinced by the system and like many others still waiting and hoping it will come together. have to.be patient tho it may take another month or so to gel but were picking up points in the mean time and staying in the mix

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:07 am

One of the biggest squads I've seen here, but not sure if it's the best. I think I've seen a stronger set of players in the past, but didn't need as many then as only one substitute was permitted, so only 12 players named on matchday.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:08 pm

I think the squad is excellent, great talent and once they gel they should be challenging for promotion. Love the fact that there are quite a few players ready for the PL and that the younger players seem ready to take that next step. Adeyemi, Ralls, Morrison, John, Macheda, Daehli and even a few more, are yet to reach their peak and still able to perform at this level.

Still think that this team misses that CM to really make a difference right away. Adeyemi, Ralls and Eikrem could all be what we're looking for, but maybe not just yet. After watching the Fulham game I really think that Scott Parker-type is missing.

Only real concern right now is that the team is really transformed and it could take more time than Solskjaer has got to get them to truly gel. If Cardiff earn promotion though, I can't see why this team shouldn't be able to stay in the Premier League. But there's still a long way to get there :)

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:It's not about comparing our squad now to previous ones, it's about comparing to the opposition. I don't think we are any better than the likes of Norwich, Forest, Derby or even Watford.

We have a squad valued more than all bar Norwich.
Norwich - £62.m
Cardiff - £49m
Wigan - £40m
Blackburn - £32m
Notts For - £29.5m
Fulham - £29m
Watford - £28.5m
Figures from Transfermarkt.

Re: Most complete Cardiff squad ever?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 pm

thomasblue wrote:Yep very good squad at this level

Big question is how many would be left if we go up and how much strengthening would it need to stay there ?

While Ole keeps up his chopping and changing the team will take ages to gel. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

I agree. It's also what you do & how you play with the squad. If Ole keeps changing & trying to keep everyone happy we'll do nothing.

Couldn't agree more with these two!