Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" NOW I HOPE THEY RETURN "

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Had a chat with a steward at our club today and he told me that the crowds were down by several thousand season ticket holders against Huddersfield and Wigan.

The crowd against Huddersfield was announced as 20,749 with an away support of 614, the steward told me the actual crowd was just over 17,000.

Against Wigan it was announced that the attendance was 20,662 with an away support of 276. The actual crowd was a little over 16,500.

Hopefully with City's decent start to the season and a new signing made today then we will see the missing thousands return to support the team , after all they have bought their tickets.

Holidays would have counted for some but surely we will see more fans in the stadium after the international break.

Re: " NOW I HOPE THEY RETURN "

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Is he your source at the club come on Carl you are better than that mate

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 pm

DEANO wrote:Is he your source at the club come on Carl you are better than that mate

No, I got a few sources in the club from stewards to boardroom but let's not forget those in catering, brown and red source :D :thumbup:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:51 pm

carlccfc wrote:
DEANO wrote:Is he your source at the club come on Carl you are better than that mate

No, I got a few sources in the club from stewards to boardroom but let's not forget those in catering, brown and red source :D :thumbup:

So ITK actually stands for In the Kitchens :lol:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Can't see why today's signing will have any effect, I doubt many have ever heard of him. City fans have always been incredibly fickle and it doesn't take much for many to find the excuse they crave to stay away.

What will bring people in is a winning side playing attractive football. A change in colours would help enormously too. Simple formula really.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Can't see why today's signing will have any effect, I doubt many have ever heard of him. City fans have always been incredibly fickle and it doesn't take much for many to find the excuse they crave to stay away.

What will bring people in is a winning side playing attractive football. A change in colours would help enormously too. Simple formula really.

I think fans may want to take a look at City's newest signing, £5m+ for centre half is a lot for a championship club.

But what you say regarding colour change and attractive football would definitely help.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm

carlccfc wrote:Had a chat with a steward at our club today and he told me that the crowds were down by several thousand season ticket holders against Huddersfield and Wigan.

The crowd against Huddersfield was announced as 20,749 with an away support of 614, the steward told me the actual crowd was just over 17,000.

Against Wigan it was announced that the attendance was 20,662 with an away support of 276. The actual crowd was a little over 16,500.

Hopefully with City's decent start to the season and a new signing made today then we will see the missing thousands return to support the team , after all they have bought their tickets.

Holidays would have counted for some but surely we will see more fans in the stadium after the international break.

As I saw it in my Attendance thread

Attendance tonight
Postby T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:20 pm

thought it was abysmal this evening and how they claim that 20,000 attended tonight beggars belief!.

And some of the pathetic replies from people who dont know sh*t!.

Re: Attendance tonight
Postby Valley Lad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:23 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:
thought it was abysmal this evening and how they claim that 20,000 attended tonight beggars belief!.

20,000 means approx 60% of capacity in attendance, about right I'd say :thumbup:
It's Caulker.....wouldn't you just know it!

Postby JonCCFC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:42 pm

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:

Who would buy tickets and not attend? Of course it was 20,000, pretty decent I think

Postby hillbillyblue » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 pm

with u 'valley lad' looked bout rite. looked bout the same as saturdays attendance :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
hillbillyblue

Postby Bluemellons » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Dont forget, we have 34000 seats these days. 20000 will always look awful in a ground that size. Also they count season ticket holders even if they dont go.....I guessed that 18000 were actually there.
The CCS is a fairly large stadium in modern terms.....Spurs can only hold 36000. :ayatollah:
Bluemellons

Just show how dense some posters are on here :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:12 pm

I've never understood why people would buy season tickets and not turn up...

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 pm

JonCCFC wrote:I've never understood why people would buy season tickets and not turn up...

Some might be on holidays

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Arrow wrote:
JonCCFC wrote:I've never understood why people would buy season tickets and not turn up...

Some might be on holidays

Throughout the whole season though? Pretty sure those "in the know" were saying that we were thousands off the attendances that were officially announced throughout the whole of our promotion season.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 pm

he will also now that only are crowd numbers down

steward numbers are down
team security is down
catering staff is down

been quite a cull in staff numbers

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Carl. We were told 18500 for Hudds and 17500 for Wigan in the Travel Club meeting. This was from someone who's job it is to know these figures ! Also this is fairly normal, even last year there were a significant % who didn't turn up. It's not unique to us either , most clubs have a similar issue. At Arsenal for example it's as much as 20% for some games.

The good news is the club are aware of the potential drop next year and the empty spaces this year and are working on offers particularly to season ticket holders to try to boost crowds back up.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 pm

I think the main issue which it always has been is the family stand, mid week matches where people choose not to go because of school the next day for the kids, personally find it silly but I think that's the reason for some.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Can't see why today's signing will have any effect, I doubt many have ever heard of him. City fans have always been incredibly fickle and it doesn't take much for many to find the excuse they crave to stay away.

I think fans may want to take a look at City's newest signing, £5m+ for centre half is a lot for a championship club.

But what you say regarding colour change and attractive football would definitely help.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing him play but I'm more concerned with our general play. Poor movement, little creativity, no pressing to win the ball back etc etc. Its not often a central defender captures the fans imagination or makes enough of a difference to cover for a weak midfield.

Good squad on paper, I hope we improve quickly and radically.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:

I think the main issue which it always has been is the family stand, mid week matches where people choose not to go because of school the next day for the kids, personally find it silly but I think that's the reason for some.

It only seems to be us though, I just don't get it. Maybe it's because of the price freeze and under 9 season tickets only being £10, which is crazy.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am

Jon it ISNT only us. It's nearly every club and there are next to no fans who still qualify for the £10 tickets.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am

Happens this time of year, hardly rocket science. And as for family stand, they are the worst.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 am

It will only get worse if we don't get promoted. Price freeze season tickets were basically £329, £419, £519 for lowest, middle and top areas. Even if they only put them up by 10% next year the equivalent will be £480, £600, £750. A lot of people simply won't be able to afford it and will just have to pick and choose games.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 am

bspark wrote:It will only get worse if we don't get promoted. Price freeze season tickets were basically £329, £419, £519 for lowest, middle and top areas. Even if they only put them up by 10% next year the equivalent will be £480, £600, £750. A lot of people simply won't be able to afford it and will just have to pick and choose games.

Totally agree - If the price goes up again next year - I won't be renewing. :oops:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Ha Ha it used to be the other way round........good crowd for the first 2 home games.........lose and the crowd starts to dwindle away.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:18 pm

carlccfc wrote:Had a chat with a steward at our club today and he told me that the crowds were down by several thousand season ticket holders against Huddersfield and Wigan.

It would be great if us fans could come up with schemes, initiatives, ideas to increase our attendances. Supporters groups and forums offer the platforms for people to share ideas which can then be built upon. I seem to remember a group of fans back in the day came up with posters to advertise forthcoming games and posted them all over Cardiff and the Valleys. This, if I remember, had a positive affect on home crowds at the time. Bring a friend was another one. If we ALL brought a friend we would fill the ground.

I believe it's reasonable for the fans to come up with some ideas for supporters groups to then approach the Club to see how we can take some of these ideas forward. We would all like to see a full stadium. :bluescarf:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm

That talk about kids being in school is nonsense. They only went back today at the earliest!!

The empty seats of season ticket holders will be a combination of shift workers, holiday makers and of course plastics. I bet some have bought their seats just to reserve them for next year if promotion comes off!

We knew this would happen surely in the second tier. The glory hunters have disappeared and we won't see th till we are a top flight team again.

I have not bought a season for this year, last year or the year before because I can't afford to lose the money on games I can't make due to work (I used to have a lot more flexibility but that's all changed).

I doubt if I can justify buying one next year either, but I bet there will be massive queues if all goes well.

Pity really.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Wouldn't make a difference if they signed messi, this is South Wales we live in, and they're charging around £30 a ticket for games, that doesn't include transport and food drink ect, when I go I buy 2 adult tickets and now a 16-21 year old ticket, so I'm looking at just under a £100 a game. It's pathetic

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

bluebird04 wrote:Wouldn't make a difference if they signed messi, this is South Wales we live in, and they're charging around £30 a ticket for games, that doesn't include transport and food drink ect, when I go I buy 2 adult tickets and now a 16-21 year old ticket, so I'm looking at just under a £100 a game. It's pathetic

I hear you there brother! The ticket prices need looking at. The trouble is that season ticket holders have already paid and you can't lower prices for Matchday tickets without disadvantaging them. The ST's are too pricey as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't rocket science to work out that with demotion came a drop in demand, so the prices should have been lowered to reflect this.

If you are a family man (as you obviously are), any reduction makes a big difference because it is multiplied. Y the number you pay for.

It doesn't take a genius, for example, to email all Cardiff schools on a Monday to say that kids go for a quid to a Tuesday night game. The crowd will be bigger, the kids will appreciate it and they may buy a coke or chips while they are there. Some parents may decide to accompany youngsters so again, it increases the gate.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 pm

I reckon From December onwards crowds will increase :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I reckon From December onwards crowds will increase :ayatollah:

Depends on results / where we are in the league - eg. Top 6 ( IMO ) Annis.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:04 am

Woodville Willie wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:Wouldn't make a difference if they signed messi, this is South Wales we live in, and they're charging around £30 a ticket for games, that doesn't include transport and food drink ect, when I go I buy 2 adult tickets and now a 16-21 year old ticket, so I'm looking at just under a £100 a game. It's pathetic

I hear you there brother! The ticket prices need looking at. The trouble is that season ticket holders have already paid and you can't lower prices for Matchday tickets without disadvantaging them. The ST's are too pricey as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't rocket science to work out that with demotion came a drop in demand, so the prices should have been lowered to reflect this.

If you are a family man (as you obviously are), any reduction makes a big difference because it is multiplied. Y the number you pay for.

It doesn't take a genius, for example, to email all Cardiff schools on a Monday to say that kids go for a quid to a Tuesday night game. The crowd will be bigger, the kids will appreciate it and they may buy a coke or chips while they are there. Some parents may decide to accompany youngsters so again, it increases the gate.

Good post Willie.
Whilst I purchase my ticket in advance (I didn't renew my ST this season) I get them a fair bit cheaper & think more people should do this, however, I realise not everyone can do.
Good point about the schools. Football is now a big business & I would suggest the CCFC marketing dept needs to look at itself!
By inviting say under 16's for cheap you get 3 positives out of it.
1. More ticket revenue
2. Help to fill the stadium
3. Possible bigger fan base in the future by getting the kids in whilst their young.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Woodville Willie wrote:

Good post Willie.
Whilst I purchase my ticket in advance (I didn't renew my ST this season) I get them a fair bit cheaper & think more people should do this, however, I realise not everyone can do.
Good point about the schools. Football is now a big business & I would suggest the CCFC marketing dept needs to look at itself!
By inviting say under 16's for cheap you get 3 positives out of it.
1. More ticket revenue
2. Help to fill the stadium
3. Possible bigger fan base in the future by getting the kids in whilst their young.

even if i do purchase it sooner, the cheapest the cheapest ones i seen are £20, so for me thats 2 of them (£40), plus the 16-21, which could be £12 (thats £52) alone for tickets, im then still looking at train fare, food day ect. im affriad they will continue to rise aswell, and potentially, if we get promoted, only see them rise again. being a football fan used to be a hobby, now its become a luxury

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:48 pm

I don't see the groups of boys 16-18 going to games so much these days, it worries me that we are pricing these fans out of the game, especially when we cant fill the stadium. I've paid for a season ticket but I would not mind if the club made it cheaper for this age group to afford to attend matches and fill the stadium, plus increase the atmosphere.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:10 am

It seems that most fans agree that the pricing and marketing needs looking at. It's such a pity that CCST doesn't have more of a say. After all, they are meant to reflect the views of the majority of fans. It has been proven many times that consultation with a trust or supporters' group etc. makes for healthy numbers at the ground. Germany is probably the best example where the club is actually part owned by the fans and ticket prices are way lower than in the UK.

This is a good thread because I don't hear any arguments, just people throwing in ideas. One day, maybe he fans will have a proper platform to air their views. In the meantime, this forum is read by many so let's keep chipping away!!!

:bluescarf: