Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City FC announce defender '

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Club add key defensive signing on deadline day

Read more at http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/art ... prUwI5S.99

I said we would only add more before the window shut if something spectacular came up for us. It did."
Ole Gunnar Solskjær

We are very pleased to confirm the completion of a deal to bring Gabon international Bruno Ecuele Manga to Cardiff City Football Club.

Having completed his medical in South Wales on Monday evening, Bruno has put pen to paper on a contract that will keep him with the Club until June, 2017. He joins from French Ligue 1 side, FC Lorient.

The 26 year-old – a strong and athletic centre-half and former Lorient captain - began his career with home club Libreville, in Gabon. In 2006 he moved to Bordeaux, prior to spending time at Angers SCO ahead of a 2010 switch to Lorient. During a four-year spell in Brittany, Bruno made 118 appearances and scored four goals.

Speaking exclusively to Cardiff City Player, the new signing said: “I have come here to Cardiff to soon play in the Premier League.

“I spoke at length to the Manager who was a great player in this country. He has certain ambitions and I share those ambitions. The main one is to go back up to the Premier League, and I'm very excited about coming here.

“I’ll spend time away with my national team now, though I look forward to returning and starting with my new team-mates. I’m confident that things can go very well for me here. This is a good team with a good manager and a good board that is doing great work. I can’t wait to start.

“I'd like to thank the Manager, the Owner and the Chairman, as well as the supporters. The deal took a little time, but we got there, and it shows that the club wants to go back up to the Premier League. I'm going to do everything I can to make it happen.”

Having made Bruno his ninth signing of the summer transfer window, City Boss Ole Gunnar Solskjær added: “We’ve been waiting for this signing – Bruno is someone we’ve watched for a long time now.

“We faced stiff competition for his signing, but managed to get the deal done. We’re delighted; I said we would only add more before the window shut if something spectacular came up for us. It did and Bruno will be a terrific addition to our squad.

“Bruno will bring pace, international experience, energy and enthusiasm. He is a centre-back who plays the ball forward, looks up and can put us on the counter-attack. I’m delighted he’s agreed to join us.”

To watch Bruno and Ole’s interviews in full, log on or sign up to Cardiff City Player. Teasers off each interview can be found on YouTube

Read more at http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/art ... prUwI5S.99

Re: Cardiff City FC announce defender

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm

As Bruno says the deal took a little time to get there.

Bloody right it did, it was expected a week ago :lol:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Cheers Gavin/Carl :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Re: ' Cardiff City FC announce defender '

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 pm

WORLD NEWS

Cardiff sign Gabon defender

Cardiff City have signed Gabon international defender Bruno Ecuele Manga from French club Lorient on a three-year deal.

01/09/14

Bruno Ecuele Manga: New signing for Cardiff from Lorient

More of the games that matter
2 years free Sky Broadband Unlimited for Sky Sports customers
The 26-year-old, who predominately plays at centre-back, has been with the Ligue 1 club for the last four years, in which he played 118 times and scored four goals.

Ecuele Manga is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's ninth signing of the summer.

Solskjaer said: “We’ve been waiting for this signing – Bruno is someone we’ve watched for a long time now.

“We faced stiff competition for his signing, but managed to get the deal done. We’re delighted; I said we would only add more before the window shut if something spectacular came up for us. It did and Bruno will be a terrific addition to our squad.

“Bruno will bring pace, international experience, energy and enthusiasm. He is a centre-back who plays the ball forward, looks up and can put us on the counter-attack. I’m delighted he’s agreed to join us.”

Ecuele Manga added: “I spoke at length to the manager who was a great player in this country. He has certain ambitions and I share those ambitions. The main one is to go back up to the Premier League, and I'm very excited about coming here.

“I’ll spend time away with my national team now, though I look forward to returning and starting with my new team-mates. I’m confident that things can go very well for me here. This is a good team with a good manager and a good board that is doing great work. I can’t wait to start."

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:40 pm

This signing made me thinking. Why is Ole signing another central back? Looking at our matches so far this season, the defense has looked rock solid, whoever played, very much in contrast to last season in the premier league. Isn´t Ole happy with Connolly? Although he has looked rock solid in every game he has performed?

The answer must be that Ole feel we have been lacking pace in the central defense, and therefore been more careful about pressing high up on the pitch that most of us would have expected, based on last season, and based on Ole´s attacking mindset. It is indeed very dangerous to press high with slow defenders, as there will be too much back room for speedy strikers to utlize. Hence, the midfield has to fall deep as well, or there will be too much of a gap between the midfield and the defense.

So the question is: has the lack of pace in the central defense been the biggest problem all along also this season? Is this the key signing Ole has been looking for to start showing the kind of football we are all expecting from him? Is this the turning point? Will we see a more attacking Cardiff from now on?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Is he absolutely first choice for Gabon? If he is, he'll miss a fair chunk of the season with African Nations Cup call-ups. Gabon should qualify, which will mean he is gone for most of January (iirc, don't they usually join up with the squad a couple of weeks before, so just after Boxing Day?)

I know. Some people are never happy!

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 pm

anonanon wrote:Is he absolutely first choice for Gabon? If he is, he'll miss a fair chunk of the season with African Nations Cup call-ups. Gabon should qualify, which will mean he is gone for most of January (iirc, don't they usually join up with the squad a couple of weeks before, so just after Boxing Day?)

This would be the case for Dikgacoi as well, but we won´t know till late November if South Africa and Gabon qualify.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm

anonanon wrote:Is he absolutely first choice for Gabon? If he is, he'll miss a fair chunk of the season with African Nations Cup call-ups. Gabon should qualify, which will mean he is gone for most of January (iirc, don't they usually join up with the squad a couple of weeks before, so just after Boxing Day?)

The African Nations Cup which has already finished in February 2014? No, he wasn't involved. The next one isn't until 2016.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm

DannyBluebird wrote:

The African Nations Cup which has already finished in February 2014? No, he wasn't involved. The next one isn't until 2016.

I´m afraid you are mixing the two tournaments up. Africa cup of nations is indeed held between January 17 and February 8 2015. You are thinking of the African Nations Championship which only includes players from the national leagues. Africa cup of nations is the big one.