A forum for all things Cardiff City

' OFFICIAL ' Danny Gabbidon Appointed Player/Coach '

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:41 am

UPDATED MONDAY 1st SEPT 2014.

DEAL DONE: DANNY RETURNS TO THE CITY

PUBLISHED
1st September 2014

Bluebirds hero takes on player-coach role

Cardiff City Football Club is thrilled to welcome home Danny Gabbidon, the defender having completed a one-year deal to become player-coach on Monday evening.

Welsh international Danny spent five years at Ninian Park between 2000-2005, establishing himself as part of the national squad and cementing his status as one of the club’s most iconic players during a key time in our recent history.

He will couple his playing duties with a role in Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s first-team staff as a defensive coach.

' OFFICIAL '

Cardiff City have signed Danny Gabbidon on a one-year playing deal that will also see him take on a coaching role at the club.
The 35-year-old had been training at the club where he first made his name, after being released by Crystal Palace in May, and he will now make a sensational return for one more season in the Championship with the Bluebirds.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gabbidon Set For Return

Monday 1st August 2014

It's being reported that 35 year old Danny Gabbidon is set to return to Cardiff in a duel role.

Having been released over the summer by Crystal Palace, the Welsh international has been training with the lads to keep his fitness up - although it's believed it wasn't a strict trial period.

It's now being reported that our former player could sign a deal today that will see him join as a cover player and a coach, and he would obviously join us as a free agent if it comes off.

In his previous spell with us, the 49 times capped player made 219 appearances between August 2000 and 2005.

Re: Gabbidon to be appointed Player/Coach ?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 am

Don't see the problem as a 4th/5th choice CB on a free. For some reason lots of people made their mind up about him despite him playing 23 games last season.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 am

Good signing, can actually see him breaking into the side after a month or so and playing more games than originally planned. Calm on the ball and can organise. Great business for me as a player/coach

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 am

good move IMO, perhaps he can coach some ball control at the back :D

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 am

Not a bad move all in all. No fee, cant imagine he will on mega bucks and is a decent expirenced player who provides cover.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 am

I guess he'll be on much less wages than departing CBs...

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never liked players returning, it's not fair on them, too much expectation and we know Gabbidon is nothing like he used to be for us.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 am

Great signing. Was a major part of a premier league defence last season that managed to stay up. How can people be not happy about it. Loved watching him play.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 am

arri potta wrote:
Mr Moo Cow wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never liked players returning, it's not fair on them, too much expectation and we know Gabbidon is nothing like he used to be for us.

Rubbish. I've had it on good authority that Leo Fortune-West is signing on a free next week for us, and I for one can't wait to see ol' fifty-pence piece head back in action for the Bluebirds.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:01 pm

I dont think anyone expects him to be what he was like, he did leave us about 9 years ago.

Seems a good move, knowing he wont be first choice but a good player to step in when needed.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I dont think anyone expects him to be what he was like, he did leave us about 9 years ago.

Seems a good move, knowing he wont be first choice but a good player to step in when needed.

Bang on :thumbright:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:38 pm

well the main thing people arent mentioning is the part he will be a coach aswell, which is great considering he is a ex premier league defender which will have a great effect on the kids,

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Wish him all the best he was brilliant for us (palace)

Should have kept him

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:16 pm

A ball playing centre half as a coach, South Wales lad, ex city, and played half a season for palace who had one hell of a mean defence.......

I can't see a downside !!!

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:21 pm

football451 wrote:Wish him all the best he was brilliant for us (palace)

Should have kept him

I Said this would happen on Saturday.

I don't understand some of our fans he truly was brilliant for you last season and I agree Ido t understand why you didn't give him a 1 year extension.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Good signing for free most pro blow wages good back up.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 pm

On low wages and can be a defensive coach(something we've been lacking) to our younger players. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:46 pm

A lot of people are writing him off, having seen former heroes such as Earnie and Koumas return and be largely disappointing... The difference? Gabs had a decent impact at a prem club last year. The same wasn't true of Earnie/Koumas. They'd be in the wilderness for some time, and had come home to try and salvage their careers.

Gabs maybe 35, but his performances last year shows he's good enough for at least another year at this level.

Plus, it's always great to seen a local lad in the squad...

Win-win. Top signing.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:57 pm

i think he will do well in this division for a backup player

Re: ' Danny Gabbidon Appointed Player/Coach '

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Interesting. Good to see him getting into coaching, and a decent emergency back up centre-back.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Rally liked him at Cardiff when he played for us :thumbright:

We need experience.
Player/Coach Hmm ?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Rally liked him at Cardiff when he played for us :thumbright:

We need experience.
Player/Coach Hmm ?

I didn't want him back as a player, as I am not keen on old players seeking a final pay day, and are concerned about the hunger.

As someone said above though, he could be a good defensive coach (needed in my opinion) to get the best out of the defence, and a back up defender for a bad run of injuries, but hopefully not needed as a player......

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Rally liked him at Cardiff when he played for us :thumbright:

We need experience.
Player/Coach Hmm ?

I didn't want him back as a player, as I am not keen on old players seeking a final pay day, and are concerned about the hunger.

As someone said above though, he could be a good defensive coach (needed in my opinion) to get the best out of the defence, and a back up defender for a bad run of injuries, but hopefully not needed as a player......

I do agree we need to stop leaking goals, I hope Gabbidon is the answer in coaching?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Superb player when he was here. I personally rate him as the best all-round centre half we've had (I'm sure lots would disagree) and if it hadn't been for his injuries he would have gone right to the top.

Best 'footballing' centre half I've seen in a City shirt, loads of pace, timed his tackles well and had a leap like a salmon. Downsides were he was a bit quiet and sometimes switched off.

Of course his age is against him now, especially with injuries, but nice to see a local boy back.

Welcome back to the Bluebirds Danny. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Bluebina wrote:

We need experience.
Player/Coach Hmm ?

Damn straight, Danny has bags of experience both at championship and prem levels he knows what it takes and we've been crying for this. Defence should be solved, now we need to work on passing and movement, the forwards should hold their own, I'm optimistic. Would just like Ole to play a 4-5-1 for a try to cover our current weakness - midfield, at least until they get confident.

Re: UPDATED/OFFICIAL ' Danny Gabbidon Appointed Player/Coach

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 pm

DEAL DONE: DANNY RETURNS TO THE CITY

PUBLISHED
1st September 2014

Bluebirds hero takes on player-coach role

Cardiff City Football Club is thrilled to welcome home Danny Gabbidon, the defender having completed a one-year deal to become player-coach on Monday evening.

Welsh international Danny spent five years at Ninian Park between 2000-2005, establishing himself as part of the national squad and cementing his status as one of the club’s most iconic players during a key time in our recent history.

He will couple his playing duties with a role in Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s first-team staff as a defensive coach.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Kind of happy it will be more of a coach role, if he does play cup only I hope.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

It is good he is going to be a defensive coach for ole in which what was needed so i am happy with this and he will do a job when needed welcome back Danny. :ayatollah: :ole:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Kind of happy it will be more of a coach role, if he does play cup only I hope.

Why? His Premier League form for Palace last year was head and shoulders above Hudson, Turner, Connelly and Cala. Could end up being quite useful first backup after Manga and Morrison

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:33 pm

CardiffOz wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Kind of happy it will be more of a coach role, if he does play cup only I hope.

Why? His Premier League form for Palace last year was head and shoulders above Hudson, Turner, Connelly and Cala. Could end up being quite useful first backup after Manga and Morrison

Hudson and Connolly didn't even play 10 games between them. :lol:

I just don't rate him, league 1/league 2.. don't see much in him really.