Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS ARE VERY DIFFERENT '

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 pm

' PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS ARE VERY DIFFERENT '

I will give every manager we have my support, likewise the team will have my support. :bluescarf:

I am sick and tired of people who write that I don't support this guy or that guy or that I want my team to fail.

Let's bat this off straight away, I want Cardiff City Football Club to be as big as they can possibly dare to dream.

I want the team I support to win every game they play!

But that will not stop me being honest about performances or managers tactics. I say it as it is and I will always be the same.

We can discuss Malky, DJ, Tan, Sam or any manager or owner you wish but it matters nothing, it is about today and opinions on the football that we currently play.

If we want to be positive then we will argue that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has won his two home games, drawn two aways and lost one. That form over the course of the season will get us promoted, dress it any way you want but it will. It is simple, win your homes and draw your aways except for a few defeats and you be very unlucky to not be promoted.

If you want to be negative then Cardiff City have taken two points from a possible nine on the road and against Fulham ( who had not taken a point beforehand) and Wolves (who came up from League One), it could be argued that it is not what is expected.

So where do I sit on the first five games?

Truth is, performance wise, I have seen no evidence of this attack minded football that Ole said we would play under him and I do not see in our play a team that will get promoted automatically.

But football is not about performances, as we know, it is about results and Ole's team is getting the points chalked up to deliver promotion.

Today was another example, for me anyway, of performance being crap but result being ok.

I am sure most honest City fans feel the same way.

Re: PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS ARE VERY DIFFERENT

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:18 pm

I thought about this today Carl - I wasn't at the game but it sounded desperate at times. Someone asked me this morning when I last really enjoyed watching the city and apart from the odd game during Ole and Malky's reign, I would have to say it was under DJ. Considering he had little money and had to constantly balance the books, he moulded a team that competed and played attractive football and created plenty of chances most games. He made life difficult for himself at times with his poor relations with the fans and media, but I find myself wishing that we had a manager with a similar philosophy now.

I'll always want us to do well, but I've decided whatever the outcome that this will be my last season as an ST holder - I've stuck with them since 1970 through many lows and the occasional high, but I simply can't get excited by what I am watching every week the past few seasons - both Ole and Malky have had budgets like no other manager in our history, and both have with a few exceptions played dire football and that even more than the rebrand has killed the atmosphere in the stadium for me.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 pm

In a way I'd rather see signs of a team / style developing and lose than scraping results whilst playing shite. With the former you know once it clicks we would become formidable and go on a great run. The latter you know the results will soon dry up and then at best mediocrity looms. Right now I feel it's the latter for us.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:40 pm

I´ll be honest as well, and I think you´re just a little bit too negative on today´s performance. As a Norwegian, it could be that I´m a little bit biased, although I´m always trying to be as objective as I can. I don´t think you´ll ever see me giving a Norwegian player undeserved amount of credit simply for him being Norwegian. Watching a match alone in front of the TV, can also we an advantage, as your opinion won´t be inflected by the opinions of people around you.

I think we came out quite nice today, and unlike the other two away matches, we held on to the ball quite well the first 10-15 minutes. An overall possession of 46 % percent the first half tells you that we were not totally overrun. Still, Fulham were clearly the better team the last 30 minutes of the first half, but you also have to give them some credit for the way they performed. Aggressive in duels (a bit helped by the refereed, they was), good passing and good runs. The goal also gave them momentum enough to keep the edge throughout the first half.

In the second half, I felt the game was quite open, and as the Sky reporter said, the feeling was that we could very well win this one. The runs were there, and Daehli was able to tread the passes through their defense of several occasions. While Fulham looked like the most dangerous team the first half, I felt in long periods of the second half, that we were a bigger threat moving forward. Don´t forget that Fulham has a strong squad, and no one should be surprised that we were not able to dominate the game at their ground. A decent performance, I would say, and now I´m looking forward to watching the game again to see if my first impressions was totally mistaken. I hope you´ll find time to do the same.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:09 pm

We were ok for first 10 minutes then let Fulham dominate. We thoroughly deserved to go in 1 down. 2nd half we started slowly. Daehlis through ball to jones and jones finish were pure quality. We should then have taken game by scruff of neck. We tried to play passing football but it's all in our own half. The team desperately need Craig noone back as we lack pace. From what I've seen we don't move the ball quickly enough in our opponents half.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:We were ok for first 10 minutes then let Fulham dominate. We thoroughly deserved to go in 1 down. 2nd half we started slowly. Daehlis through ball to jones and jones finish were pure quality. We should then have taken game by scruff of neck. We tried to play passing football but it's all in our own half. The team desperately need Craig noone back as we lack pace. From what I've seen we don't move the ball quickly enough in our opponents half.

Yes, a Noone in form will make a huge different. I´m also looking forward to seeing a match fit KG dominating the midfield. A bit unfortunate that many of our presumable best players have been out with injuries, and others not having a full pre-season (Noone, Dikgacoi, Jones, Guerra, Macheda). Also, some of our latest signings didn´t have much time yet to gel into the team (Adeyemi, Pilkington, Morisson). We´ll only get better!

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:23 pm

'The passing was all in our own half'

Hit the nail on the head ... dire to watch :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Have been in work and had no way of following the game.
Was expecting a nice win given the performances of the cottagers so far,didn't take into consideration our own inability to play football.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The team needs to pick up their ideas,Forrest are on fire and whilst we cannot takes sides for granted,we need to dispose of teams struggling better.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 pm

I remember at the end of last season when people wanted Ole sacked because he was not the man to get results from the tough matches in the Championship. With Ole in charge we would loose horribly away and get a few 4-3, 2-5 or 4-1 matches at home. The matches that could end with a honorable draw would be lost due to his love for Gung Ho football with all out attack.

I dont know if anyone has seen so far that we are doing what most of you wanted at the end of last season. We play another type of football than expected and in the tough matches we are gaining points. 3 points at home and we get the draws away.
Ole aint manager so he can entertain us and loose his job in the process. He is here to get us promoted and with a very tough fixture list to start off with i dont think any of you negative posters even dreamt we would had 8 points from 2 home and 3 away matches.

I agree that the football is a pain to watch, i was so frustrated in the first half that i almost went to get my car and drive away until second half was done. But we came back, we scored the goal and we got the point and i believe that is a strength we have shown.
The guys seem unable to understand where we are going but still they dont want to let Ole down by loosing. A little more luck and the penalty we should had against Wolves and we would gotten a point there too and been unbeaten so far.

I take the positive with me and i LOVE the fact that Ole has already improved ALOT since last year when it comes to getting points and do right subs. I think Ralls was great today and the boy delivered a great performance in my eyes.

Cheer up lads, this aint bad. Think back and remember your thoughts when you saw the fixture list with Blackburn,Fulham,Wolves away in the first 5 matches and try not to be happy with what we got so far eyy

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm

First half was painful to watch... But i knew we would improve in the second. And when Macheda came on, I was sure we would nick all three points..

Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 am

It's strange for me, Swansea started a philosophy in how they play, and kept it for years and it's attractive and entertaining and works, even when teams set up to stop it, you can see it works which hurts me to say,,and then when I look at us, I always worry where our goals will come from, not that our strikers won't score, but we have no philosophy engrained or style, it always seems to be just try and get the ball up and hope we nick a goal. It's all,good saying poor performance but a point, but other teams will be more clinical,and we could end up in wrong place and still playing crap football.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 am

He's been here for nearly 9 months and I can't say I've seen us give even one impressive performance. We are not creating chances and it's so boring to watch.
If we had a lack of quality players, but we were hard working and determined I could understand it, but we have some real quality players and we aren't producing anything worth watching at all.
I think the way he chops and changes is really holding us back.
You can see the play isn't fluid and the players are constantly looking for each other and slowing the game down rather than knowing where each other are, which would come with having a settled team of players who have consistently played with each other.
The way things are going I can't see us making the playoffs.
When I watched Sheffield Wednesday v forest earlier it reminded me that championship football can be exciting even if the players aren't the best.
Hopefully things change quickly but I can't see it personally

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:12 am

AJ1927 wrote:Have been in work and had no way of following the game.
Was expecting a nice win given the performances of the cottagers so far,didn't take into consideration our own inability to play football.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The team needs to pick up their ideas,Forrest are on fire and whilst we cannot takes sides for granted,we need to dispose of teams struggling better.

Forrest have had easy games, there are still too few games to see the full picture, Norwich have done well though with tougher fixtures......

We can't fully judge for ten games at least .....

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 am

bluebird04 wrote:It's strange for me, Swansea started a philosophy in how they play, and kept it for years and it's attractive and entertaining and works, even when teams set up to stop it, you can see it works which hurts me to say,,and then when I look at us, I always worry where our goals will come from, not that our strikers won't score, but we have no philosophy engrained or style, it always seems to be just try and get the ball up and hope we nick a goal. It's all,good saying poor performance but a point, but other teams will be more clinical,and we could end up in wrong place and still playing crap football.

This is a good post for me. I can see nothing in our games - no style & no plan.
Swansea, I'm afraid, are light years ahead of us.
I only hope its early days & Ole finds his best 11 & gives them a run as I'm not a fan of this constantly chopping & changing.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:33 am

I cannot see our style of play changing unless OLE sticks to his best 11,which is not going to happen as he has already stated, he looks at every game which requires a different setup. Obviously we have a big squad and there will be fringe players who will not get a lot of game time but barring injuries and performance don't change a winning team. Fulham were there for the taking and going out with an attacking philosophy as OLE says that is what he wants to do would have put a different complexion on the game. But we allowed Fulham to dictate the play instead of taking the game to them. I for one would not have been disappointed if we had not come away with nothing if we had taken the game to them but this boring tedious play we seem to have adopted this season is so negative. So if its all about points on the board but how are we going to feel if we come up against a top side in form and get hammered? All would be calling for OLE's head on a block. Teams will not be afraid to come to the CCS the way we are playing and we will be there for the taking.

:bluescarf:

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:47 am

Maddon wrote:I cannot see our style of play changing unless OLE sticks to his best 11,which is not going to happen as he has already stated, he looks at every game which requires a different setup. Obviously we have a big squad and there will be fringe players who will not get a lot of game time but barring injuries and performance don't change a winning team. Fulham were there for the taking and going out with an attacking philosophy as OLE says that is what he wants to do would have put a different complexion on the game. But we allowed Fulham to dictate the play instead of taking the game to them. I for one would not have been disappointed if we had not come away with nothing if we had taken the game to them but this boring tedious play we seem to have adopted this season is so negative. So if its all about points on the board but how are we going to feel if we come up against a top side in form and get hammered? All would be calling for OLE's head on a block. Teams will not be afraid to come to the CCS the way we are playing and we will be there for the taking.

:bluescarf:

Personally, I don´t feel ready for a taking at all, but up to you mate.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 am

My main concern is we don't seem able to keep hold of the ball. Mainly due to lack of movement. It's almost as though when a player passes the ball it's like 'that's me done' and doesn't bother finding space to receive it. Wolves, Fulham and especially Blackburn kept the ball on the deck and pass and moved. Ran rings round us especially in midfield where space was found aplenty.
None of our players press the ball and seem happy to let the opposition have it (and gain confidence). I can only presume this is on Ole's orders? When we do get it, the ball becomes a ticking time bomb and we must get rid asap. Hoooof up to Jones on to nobody. Felt sorry for Le Fondre as he's had no service at all. I'm sure he didn't think when he signed he'd be a defender.

I was expecting big things from OGS especially after seeing his YouTube 'shooooot' video training with Molde.
Alas, I've not seen any of that so far. Everyone is now relying on Noone to bring a spark to our play.
Just shows how good Gary Medel was and boy are we going to miss him...

Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Ketteringblues wrote:My main concern is we don't seem able to keep hold of the ball. Mainly due to lack of movement. It's almost as though when a player passes the ball it's like 'that's me done' and doesn't bother finding space to receive it. Wolves, Fulham and especially Blackburn kept the ball on the deck and pass and moved. Ran rings round us especially in midfield where space was found aplenty.
None of our players press the ball and seem happy to let the opposition have it (and gain confidence). I can only presume this is on Ole's orders? When we do get it, the ball becomes a ticking time bomb and we must get rid asap. Hoooof up to Jones on to nobody. Felt sorry for Le Fondre as he's had no service at all. I'm sure he didn't think when he signed he'd be a defender.

I was expecting big things from OGS especially after seeing his YouTube 'shooooot' video training with Molde.
Alas, I've not seen any of that so far. Everyone is now relying on Noone to bring a spark to our play.
Just shows how good Gary Medel was and boy are we going to miss him...

Great post.

Re: ' PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS ARE VERY DIFFERENT '

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:15 pm

Performances need to Improve as do results the league suggests but it's still early days.

I'm not even sure our squad is as good as people think. A lot of players but not a lot of standout quality at the moment. Lots of similar players.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:02 pm

bluebird04 wrote:It's strange for me, Swansea started a philosophy in how they play, and kept it for years and it's attractive and entertaining and works, even when teams set up to stop it, you can see it works which hurts me to say,,and then when I look at us, I always worry where our goals will come from, not that our strikers won't score, but we have no philosophy engrained or style, it always seems to be just try and get the ball up and hope we nick a goal. It's all,good saying poor performance but a point, but other teams will be more clinical,and we could end up in wrong place and still playing crap football.

Ffs u closet swans fan? How can u call passing passing passing entertaining? They Did that in second half against man u resulting in just 1 shot on goal whole of the half !

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Ffs u closet swans fan? How can u call passing passing passing entertaining? They Did that in second half against man u resulting in just 1 shot on goal whole of the half !

and yet that "style" has got them to the premier league, they have now played in europe and won a carling cup, i cant stand them, but they are soo far ahead of us, our lack of any style. and as for the second half against man u result in 1 shot on goal in the whole half, they still managed to take all 3 points.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 pm

Let's remember the football under MM from Sheffield Wednesday home was nothing but s**t that was 5 months on repeat yet we sung praises and celebrated.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:56 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Let's remember the football under MM from Sheffield Wednesday home was nothing but s**t that was 5 months on repeat yet we sung praises and celebrated.

Agree, thats why im hoping Ole can bring something more for us.
It will take time though, im just not sure we have the players if im honest.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Weve won our home games and drawn 2 and lost 1 of our away games.

Picking up points and not playing all that well, its a good sign.

Or am i just being too positive..