Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

uncle roger

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:41 am

hi everyone.it is with great sadness that I am writing a brief letter regarding a very close family friend(that I have always called uncle)and season ticket holder.roger Hewitt was born in Pontypridd,he is now 69.he worked and lived in porthcawl in the early part of his life before a short time in trebanog with my mums family making great friendship with everyone.he became very close with my mums brother Ray and also my dad howard hams.himself and ray would then many years later,set up separate homes in and around the London area.ray in hemel Hempstead and roger in grays in Essex where he worked in a college for 25 years etc.ray had a son called Ronald who was born blind in the coming years and him and roger would then follow the city up and down the country with roger giving commentary on the games.im hoping that some of the older city fans can remember seeing them together and knew roger.im sure they did as one of rogers big mates was "peggy" or"peglegg".roger has been a season ticket holder for many years sitting by us lot and traveling down from Essex by train. however in march he was diagnosed with cancer and after one successful operation weeks ago we then received the devastating news that it had spread and that there was nothing else the doctors can do.my dad and I went to visit him yesterday in st lukes hospice Basildon where he is in a stable but critical condition.a very emotional day as you can imagine.the next few days will probably bring the news we are dreading but I just wanted to let people know of his condition as he was a very well known city fan.thanx very much guys!!!!

Re: uncle roger

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:41 am

Very sad news, I can remember Roger and his son very well.

I can remember years gone by when we would pick them up when we traveling with Adaer Glas, the last time I can remember seeing Roger I believe was Charlton away about two seasons ago, always had a smile on his face.

Will be thinking of you all during this very difficult time.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 am

Very sad, cancer is an awful unforgiving disease.

Thoughts and prayers with you all.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:02 am

Sad news, thinking of you all

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am

Thanx very much guys.adar glas haha.the good old days hey.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi guys.last night brought the expected but still upsetting news that roger has passed away.an absolute legend in my families eyes and someone that we will never forget.if anyone has any links to the 1927 supporters in London could they leave a message on the board that I can follow up.roger used to travel by train throughout the 80s and90s from his home in grays Essex.as I said he was a very close pal of Peggy or pegleg and travelled with that group for many a year.heartbreaking news and I thought I would do everything I can to try and let those guys know of his passing.thanx again guys blooooobirds!!!!

Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Kerry, Steve here. Wanted to say how cut up I was to see news of Roger passing away on the screen at the match yesterday. Roger was the first London/ south east City fan I met, early in 1981 on a train back from Luton away. You will know I was part of the group you mention! I had a chat with Ron earlier tonight. Hoping you get to see this, I wanted to express my sympathy to all your family especially you, Ron, Michael, Howard and Ray. Roger really was one of the good guys. RIP Bluebird from Steve and family

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Really sorry to hear this.

Thoughts to all, and RIP.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Sad news.