Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" It was only Port Vale "

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Port Vale 2-3 Cardiff City

Scorers : Macheda (2) and Ralls.

It was only Port Vale but I am delighted with that win tonight.

A cup run is something we as fans love but in this season and with new signings and changes to our style of play I think it is great for Ole to utilise players who are not first team regulars just yet.

The size of the squad and options we have we need these games to provide the squad with meaningful games, especially when we have strikers like Macheda and Guerra.

Macheda getting two on his competitive debut is a positive from tonight and hopefully he will take his chances when he gets his league debut too.

Stand out performances from Macheda, Guerra, John and Ralls at least gives Ole more to think about for the league matches.

Ole's biggest disappointment will be that he won't be playing Man Utd in the next round :D

Up next viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146448 :ayatollah:

Re: " It was only Port Vale "

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 pm

A win is a win look at utd at mk dons. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:46 pm

birchblue wrote:A win is a win look at utd at mk dons. :ayatollah:

Exactly Jason, I am very happy with that win :thumbup:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Many a team and manager have slipped up against lower league teams. Well done ole on getting the team right.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Macheda scoring bodes well for his confidence in the matches to come. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:54 pm

bit disrespectful that Carl. Glad our manager doesn't hold the same opinion as you.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm

carlccfc wrote:Port Vale 2-3 Cardiff City

Scorers : Macheda (2) and Ralls.

It was only Port Vale but I am delighted with that win tonight.

A cup run is something we as fans love but in this season and with new signings and changes to our style of play I think it is great for Ole to utilise players who are not first team regulars just yet.

The size of the squad and options we have we need these games to provide the squad with meaningful games, especially when we have strikers like Macheda and Guerra.

Macheda getting two on his competitive debut is a positive from tonight and hopefully he will take his chances when he gets his league debut too.

Stand out performances from Macheda, Guerra, John and Ralls at least gives Ole more to think about for the league matches.

Ole's biggest disappointment will be that he won't be playing Man Utd in the next round :D

Up next viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146448

Macheda, Guerra and Ralls on the bench against Fulham?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Jules wrote:bit disrespectful that Carl. Glad our manager doesn't hold the same opinion as you.

Jules,

I said it was only Port Vale but I am delighted, I take it your comment is based on the headline and not the write up.

Secondly, if we had lost tonight there would be many screaming it was only Port Vale.

And finally, Ole didn't think it was that difficult a game beforehand otherwise he would have played a much stronger team.

I was not being disrespectful but am being honest, I expect us to beat teams like Port Vale but am still delighted with the expected win.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:06 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Many a team and manager have slipped up against lower league teams. Well done ole on getting the team right.

Ole has had a good start to the season Luke, just one blip in six games, things are looking good :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Well chuffed with tonight's win, I love the Cup competitions and it means we can continue to keep players fit :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ole: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:15 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Jules wrote:bit disrespectful that Carl. Glad our manager doesn't hold the same opinion as you.

Jules,

I said it was only Port Vale but I am delighted, I take it your comment is based on the headline and not the write up.

Secondly, if we had lost tonight there would be many screaming it was only Port Vale.

And finally, Ole didn't think it was that difficult a game beforehand otherwise he would have played a much stronger team.

I was not being disrespectful but am being honest, I expect us to beat teams like Port Vale but am still delighted with the expected win.

And just want to add, did you miss Sean Morrison saying that our second string could win the league ?

If that's the opinion of a player I am sure they would also think Port Vale is a gimme.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:19 pm

On the coach home now (which has just been bricked BTW) and I would start Macheda over Maynard for Fulham, NQAT.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:21 pm

carlccfc wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Jules,

And just want to add, did you miss Sean Morrison saying that our second string could win the league ?

If that's the opinion of a player I am sure they would also think Port Vale is a gimme.

agree with what your saying, but as you know, in a one off game of football, anyone can beat anyone.

good to see macheda get a brace, hopefully he'll put real pressure on the lads up front and we'll have a few strikers we can call from!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:22 pm

carlccfc wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Jules,

No I didn't miss that just as I didn't base my comment on just your headline. but hey ho each to their own I suppose.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 pm

and just to add, my view is based on many early exits by not taking cup games seriously .

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 pm

but he made 11 changes lads !!!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:33 pm

with some people, the manager is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

he makes a few changes and people moan. he keeps things the same people moan. he does something in between those two and people moan. players have to be managed and kept fresh. its a good opportunity to give macheda and ralls a run out without the pressure of a league game. its lesser opposition but not PL against league 1.

i'm sure macheda will now stand a greater chance of playing at least off the bench against fulham on the back of that performance. the league is always the priority but its a good thing to go through when you have a big squad like ours :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Winning is a good habit regardless of the opposition.

A good cup run keeps fringe players happy and the first teamers on their toes.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm

If he doesn't think Kenwyne can start then I would play Guerra and Macheda together against Fulham. They linked very second half, albeit against League One defenders. Macheda looked very sharp tonight especially considering this was his 1st game in a while. Was nice to see us play with a bit of pace to our game in the second half, it's really what was missing against wolves.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 am

Dikgacoi and Barnum-Bobb also impressed me tonight.

During the warm up I thought Dikgacoi was carrying too much weight. But he got around the pitch very well, broke up play and was excellent with his distribution - just what we need as a strong, skillful, defensive midfielder. He had a great partnership with Joe Ralls.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 am

Good performance and result some lovely touches from Guerra and Macheda looked sharp throughout and was unlucky not to get a hat trick good outing from Declan John with a superb assist for Machedas first goal. Personally I think we could play Declan as an out and out winger as he has plenty of pace and can beat his man.

Might only have been Port Vale but it was also only MK Dons :o :old: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:24 am

I cant see what Carl has said wrong there. it WAS only port vale

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:42 am

How did Eikrem and Kimbo do?

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:07 am

I thought it was a positive post from Carl :ayatollah:
Agree it is only Port Vale so lets not get too complacent. However pleased for Macheda and Guerra, this game gives them great confidence ahead. Hope they bang in the goals in championship!

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 am

Only Port Vale, but good to hear our "2nd team" is putting in an effort. Knowing that a good run-out in the cup could earn you a place in the first team, might serve well as motivation.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 pm

jon1959 wrote:Dikgacoi and Barnum-Bobb also impressed me tonight.

During the warm up I thought Dikgacoi was carrying too much weight. But he got around the pitch very well, broke up play and was excellent with his distribution - just what we need as a strong, skillful, defensive midfielder. He had a great partnership with Joe Ralls.

interesting that his passing was good, lets see if he can do it with less room in the championship

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:30 pm

It was only the MK Dons :old: