A forum for all things Cardiff City

MATCH THREAD . " PORT VALE V CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:12 pm

PORT VALE V CARDIFF CITY
CAPITAL ONE CUP, SECOND ROUND
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 7.45pm
Pay on the Night for Cardiff Fans :thumbright: :thumbright:

TONIGHTS VITY LINE UP

City v Port Vale: Moore, Barnum-Bobb, Oshilaja, Cala, John, Kim, Eikrem, Ralls, Dikgacoi, Macheda, Guerra

Wilson
James
Owen
O'Sullivan
Burgstaller
Harris
Velikonja

And Next
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146448 :thumbright:

:ayatollah: " UPDATED DAILY " :ayatollah:

" CARDIFF CITY " :bluescarf:

:ole: TUESDAY 26th AUGUST 2014 :ole:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed which of his young pros will be involved in tonight’s Capital One Cup tie at Port Vale when they were left out of Cardiff City’s development team last night.

Right-back Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, who made his debut at Coventry in the last round, central defender Adedeji Oshilaja, midfield player Tommy O’Sullivan and left-back Kane Owen were all missing from the young Bluebirds squad.

Barnum-Bobb and Oshilaja have every chance of starting at Port Vale, while the other two are likely to be among the substitutes.

Simon Moore is likely to come in for David Marshal in goal and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, who made his debut in the win over Coventry in the first round, Declan John and Joe Ralls all likely to start.

Monday 25th August 2014

Ole says he will blood more youngsters at Port Vale
Ole said
Hopefully we can get the ball down and play, as we did at Coventry, because I thought we did fantastically well there."
Ole Gunnar Solskjær
Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær sat down on Monday morning to look ahead to Tuesday’s Capital One Cup Second Round trip to Port Vale.

Federico Macheda expected to start

Joe Ralls is expected to be in the starting line up along with Kim Bo. :ayatollah:

There might be a surprise appearance of Craig Noone to get him match fit.

Gunnarson is out injured.

' PORT VALE '

ImageImage

Tuesday's match against Port Vale will be the first time both clubs have met in competitive action since 2003 when we did the double over them in what is now League 1.

Our last away game saw Gavin Gordon and Peter Thorne scoring in a 2-0 win at Vale Park.

Possible Port Vale line up
image.jpg

Possible Cardiff City line up
image.jpg

Team news
Ole is likely to field a weakened team this week although is likely to still include some big names as he continues to find his strongest eleven.
Gunnarsson is likely to be missing after going off against Wolves on Saturday.

Form
Of Cardiff's last 5 games they have managed 3 wins, a draw and a loss.
Port Vale have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 1 in all competitions.

Last 5 meetings
2002/2003 -Tue 25 Feb - Port Vale 0 - 2 Cardiff City - League Division Two
2002/2003 - Tue 13 Aug - Cardiff City 3 - 1 Port Vale - League Division Two
2001/2002 - Mon 01 Apr - Cardiff City 1 - 0 Port Vale - League Division Two
2001/2002 - Sat 08 Dec - Cardiff City 3 - 0 Port Vale - F.A. Cup
2001/2002 - Wed 24 Oct - Port Vale 0 - 2 Cardiff City - League Division Two

Match Odds
Click here for full odds
Port Vale 2/1
Draw 12/5
Cardiff Evens

The ground
Capacity: 18,947 (all seated)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' MATCH THREAD: PORT VALE V CARDIFF CITY ' Updated Daily

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:18 pm

I reckon City to win this one 2-1 :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:20 pm

I reckon we will come unstuck if Solskjaer plays to weak a team,Cardiff to lose 1-0

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:07 am

grange_end1927 wrote:I reckon we will come unstuck if Solskjaer plays to weak a team,Cardiff to lose 1-0

Honestly cant see how he can play a weakened team with the squad we have :bluescarf:

Re: ' LATEST NEWS ' PORT VALE V CARDIFF CITY ' Updated Daily

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 am

Joe Ralls is expected to be in the starting line up along with Kim Bo.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 am

Forever Blue wrote:Joe Ralls is expected to be in the starting line up along with Kim Bo.

I have no idea where you're getting this information from, but I'd be amazed if Kimbo does start. However, with Ole you wouldn't rule it out. Put Kimbo/Whittingham and Maynard in the same eleven and it will be like us playing with 10 men.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:54 am

latcher wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Joe Ralls is expected to be in the starting line up along with Kim Bo.

I have no idea where you're getting this information from, but I'd be amazed if Kimbo does start. However, with Ole you wouldn't rule it out. Put Kimbo/Whittingham and Maynard in the same eleven and it will be like us playing with 10 men.

It was just mentioned last night, we can only wait and see :thumbright:

But with Ole like you've just said nothing can be ruled out,he surprises/shocks us all every game,with his starting line ups.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:00 am

Forever Blue wrote:
latcher wrote:

But with Ole like you've just said nothing can be ruled out,he surprises/shocks us all every game,with his starting line ups.

Actually, I apologise... I forgot it was the Cup doh!!!

Yeah, makes sense to bring in these kind of fringe players.... silly me! :laughing6:

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:41 am

2-0 city! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: ;)

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 pm

latcher wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
latcher wrote:

Actually, I apologise... I forgot it was the Cup doh!!!

Yeah, makes sense to bring in these kind of fringe players.... silly me! :laughing6:

:lol: :thumbright:

No problem :thumbright:

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Ralls in for Harris, Morisson in for Connolly, and Marshall for Moore (no need to rest Marshall, and he´s clearly first choice).

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:20 pm

We could do with a decent run in the League Cup, give all these new blokes a competitive game. Looking forward to the trip. Not been to Port Vale before. Was too poor last time round!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 am

Federico Macheda expected to start :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:28 am

grange_end1927 wrote:Federico Macheda expected to start :ayatollah:

Probably starting alongside Guerra.

I think City will have a pretty strong side out.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Ole says he will blood more youngsters at Port Vale
Ole said
Hopefully we can get the ball down and play, as we did at Coventry, because I thought we did fantastically well there."
Ole Gunnar Solskjær
Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær sat down on Monday morning to look ahead to Tuesday’s Capital One Cup Second Round trip to Port Vale.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:43 pm

carlccfc wrote:
grange_end1927 wrote:Federico Macheda expected to start :ayatollah:

Probably starting alongside Guerra.

I think City will have a pretty strong side out.

We rest our first eleven and we have Macheda and Guerra up front, wow :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Monday 25th August 2014.

Cardiff City: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says squad rotation is essential

Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says the high frequency of games makes squad rotation essential.
The Norwegian defended his decision to start with top scorer Kenwyne Jones on the bench in the 1-0 defeat at Wolves.
With a Capital One Cup trip to Port Vale on Tuesday and an away fixture at Fulham four days later, Solskjaer says he will continue to rotate.

"I'll always look to freshen things up at times and I'll make more right [decisions] than wrong," he said.

“It's going to be a long, hard season and we need everyone firing”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Cardiff City manager

"Of course you think it's very simple; you can play the same 11 in 46 league games and you'll be happy.
"It doesn't happen like that, it doesn't happen in today's football with the intensity, fitness, short space of time in between games, that's just how it is."
The former Manchester United striker said resting Jones on Saturday was "part and parcel of what we're going to do throughout the whole season".

Eight new players have been brought into the club over the summer, giving Solskjaer plenty of depth in his squad.
"There's going to be games he [Jones] won't play, there's going to be games other players don't play because it's going to be a long, hard season and we need everyone firing," Solskjaer said.
Saturday's loss at Molineux was the Bluebirds' first defeat of the season but Solskjaer says there has been no knock-on effect to Mark Hudson, who scored a last-minute own goal.
"Mark is a top pro. He's been as a captain should be - just get on with it. You've got to brush it off, we all make mistakes in the game of football."

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Moore.

Barnum Bobb Cala Connolly John.

Dikgacoi.

Harris Ralls Kim.

Macheda Guerra.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:13 am

Does anyone know if the match is being televised? :old:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:48 am

I'll go 4-1 Cardiff >_< We have to start banging them in eventually right? :D
2 - Kiko 1 - Guerra 1 - Eikrem

:ayatollah: :D :ole: :bluescarf: :happy1:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 am

Sport Football Football News Cardiff City FC
Young Cardiff City quartet set for first-team chance in Capital One Cup clash at Port Vale
Aug 26, 2014

By Terry Phillips

Right-back Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, who made his debut at Coventry in the last round, central defender Adedeji Oshilaja, midfield player Tommy O’Sullivan and left-back Kane Owen could all feature

Jazzi Barnum-Bobb made his debut in the last round

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed which of his young pros will be involved in tonight’s Capital One Cup tie at Port Vale when they were left out of Cardiff City’s development team last night.

Right-back Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, who made his debut at Coventry in the last round, central defender Adedeji Oshilaja, midfield player Tommy O’Sullivan and left-back Kane Owen were all missing from the young Bluebirds squad.

Barnum-Bobb and Oshilaja have every chance of starting at Port Vale, while the other two are likely to be among the substitutes.

City’s development team had Uruguayan under-20 international Maxi Amondarain and Bridgend-born Josh Yorwerth, a Wales junior international, at centre-back, while midfield player Theo Wharton was captain.

More: Port Vale v Cardiff: Everything you need to know

There were few chances either way and Cardiff earned their second draw in two Under-21 Development League matches, having finished 2-2 at Leeds earlier this month.

The Bluebirds sent on Dane Griffiths and Bradley Williams with 75 minutes gone, but both defences stayed solid.

Cardiff City: C Horton, D Tutonda, B Watkins, T Wharton (capt), J Yorwerth, M Amondarain, T Roche, M Southam (B Williams 75), R Healey, J Bowen, D Johnson (D Griffiths 75). Subs not used: A Baker, B Wilson (gk), B Wickham.

The starting line-up at Port Vale could be (4-4-2): Moore; Barnum-Bobb, Oshilaja, Cala, John; Burgstaller, Dikgacoi, Kim, Ralls; Guerra, Macheda.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 am

Tuesday 26th August 2014.

Vital Preview: Port Vale v Cardiff

Cardiff's first defeat of the season came on Saturday when an injury time own goal condemned us to defeat at Wolves, tonight we turn out attentions to the Capital One Cup.

Vale Park is the setting as League 1 side Port Vale look to upset us.

Port Vale could bring in Colin Daniel and Byron Moore after they impressed after coming on in their first defeat of the season at the weekend also, Micky Adams hasn't changed his side much this season but he might now.

Federico Macheda is in line for his full Cardiff debut having made a return to fitness from an injury suffered in pre season, which had seen him look sharp and impress. Kagisho Dikgacoi should also be involved.

As he did in the first round OGS will make changes.

Simon Moore is likely to come in for David Marshal in goal and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, who made his debut in the win over Coventry in the first round, Declan John and Joe Ralls all likely to start.

Runners up in the competition as a Championship side in 2012 why shouldn't we do well again this season? Promotion is the priority but a Capital One Cup run is something that OGS would like and we'll be the favourites to progress tonight, not that it'll be easy.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 am

That is a good team, really exciting to see the youngsters play :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Re: UPDATED. LATEST NEWS " PORT VALE V CARDIFF CITY "

Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 am

I anticipate:

--------------Moore----------------
Bobb-----Oshi----Cala------Declan
Burgs----Ralls----Wolff----Kimbo
-------Maynard---Guerra (Macheda '45)

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 am

Good that we're using some young players but hope Ole doesn't put too weak a side out. We still need to try and win it, get some momentum going and another chance for fringe players in the next round.

Moore
JBB Cala Oshilaja John
Burgs Ralls Dikgacoi
.........Kim
Macheda Guerra

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:26 am

Any idea on the number of tickets sold

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am

Metal Handkerchief wrote:I anticipate:

No, Dikacoi must start IMO as he needs to build up his match fitness as I think he needs to be given a run in the first team.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

No, Dikacoi must start IMO as he needs to build up his match fitness as I think he needs to be given a run in the first team.

Wolff needs it more, and Cardiff needs Wolff's playmaking as Whitts has been rubbish.

If Dikgacoi is to play, give him Burgstaller's spot.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:19 am

Metal Handkerchief wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Wolff needs it more, and Cardiff needs Wolff's playmaking as Whitts has been rubbish.

If Dikgacoi is to play, give him Burgstaller's spot.

I don't think you can do that as Burgstaller is a wide player whilst Dikacoi plays centrally. From what I've seen of Dikacoi he's a much better player than Wolff & will surely play a lot more this season.
Only my opinion but I see Dikacoi as a shoe in for the first 11 whilst Wolff is a squad player.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I don't think you can do that as Burgstaller is a wide player whilst Dikacoi plays centrally. From what I've seen of Dikacoi he's a much better player than Wolff & will surely play a lot more this season.
Only my opinion but I see Dikacoi as a shoe in for the first 11 whilst Wolff is a squad player.

Dikgacoi can fill in on wide right, he just needs fitness. With Whitts' uninspired play lately, and two critical passes from Eikrem against Wolfsburg and Coventry, he's shown that maybe he will create more than Whitts does and should be brought up to fitness so he's an option for selection.

Dikgacoi is a defensive midfielder, he's only ever a replacement for Adeyiemi, not Whitts. Eikrem is the only other central playmaker in the squad.